• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Naming convention cancelled; moved to online only.

Prodigy's stamps are also pretty unremarkable and uninteresting, going along with the minimal/technical theme(?) they have. It's just hard to find their discs interesting/appealing, or form a strong connection with them. Too cold, technical, and impersonal for my tastes.

It's pretty easy to make lame stamps. Maybe trendy? Latest stamp innovations at Innova:
attachment.php

Well, I'll ride the derailment and say that the Prodigy naming system made sense to me when it was pretty much D, F, M, P etc. when they threw in all of the H and X and V2 stuff is when they lost me.

As a disclaimer, I've never really bought or thrown Prodigy.

Also as a disclaimer, I recently tried out a PX-3 and it is a very nice throwing putter that will handle some power. Probably won't make the bag though.

What differentiates Discmania from Prodigy is, I think, more than plastics or discs or players or naming systems, etc.

DM is owned by a guy who plays disc and has a marketing degree…
Prodigy is owned and operated by a bunch of guys who play disc golf.

Say what you want about Jussi, but he knows how to market a product and make the most of his sponsored players.

This is not about DM or a defense of DM, but DM knows marketing and Prodigy just doesn't do that with the same skill.

Last edited:
Cool, but why are you sharing that in the Prodigy name thread? /s

Check yourself, bud - this is an APX thread. Which means my post belongs because Catrina will be signing with DGA and will be putting with the APX.

And they will be renaming the APX the Sweet Baby Rays Putt and Approach.

Check yourself, bud - this is an APX thread. Which means my post belongs because Catrina will be signing with DGA and will be putting with the APX.

And they will be renaming the APX the Sweet Baby Rays Putt and Approach.
I'm thinking her putter could be named the Wrench, the tool for fixing putting woes. Of course, remembering the Allen Wrench can also help name recognition for marketing versus Prodigy numbers.

Maybe it's because after 9 years even she couldn't understand the naming process and just gave up and is going to another sponsor with easier to understand disc names.

Ah yes because we all instinctively know exactly how a viper flies compared to mythical birds and pigs. Or better yet let's use science terminology and dimensions instead of speeds. Maybe the more machismo means the further it goes?

All the naming systems are BS and only make sense once familiar. IMO something like Prodigy is far easier to learn and actually systematic.

All the naming systems are BS and only make sense once familiar. IMO something like Prodigy is far easier to learn and actually systematic.

It seems you're missing the point (along with a few others). Yes, the naming scheme makes sense and isn't hard to understand BUT it's a disc selling company. To market and sell their product is failing in a historically profitable time in disc golf.

Their plastic is awesome.

Their discs fly as well as any other.

They had the top pros in the game throwing, winning, and marketing their plastic.

Somehow they are still having trouble growing, selling, and keeping talent. The newb/casual is the market that matters. They don't want a 500g D2 Max with no artwork.....they want a "cloudbreaker" or a "ozone raper"....something with some flare,name recognition, and artwork.

Last edited: