• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Need a putter that doesn't roll

Most players learn to minimize rollaways with experience as others have said. But they still happen and are part of the game. The worst ones are the shots that you think you've accounted for everything...your disc lands flat and slides on that hard pan right up to the basket.

And then your perfectly thrown disc hits a root or a stick or a acorn or a squirrel or even the basket itself, gets knocked up on edge and she gone.

Just remember that you can rethrow from the previous lie with penalty if the "she gone" is bad enough.

Utility shots are helpful... If the basket is outside of my comfort zone and the circle is fast with a drop off or some obstacle nearby...I'll pancake that putter by throwing a low power overhand. The disc flips upside down, lands on its face, and slidesup to the pin. This controlled approach reduces rollaways to nothing...

And if Stevie von Astronaut is nearby, you'll hear "Nice layup!" all sarcastic.

DGA Gumbputt or Blowfly...where they hit is where they stay.

Yes yes yes 100 times yes....

Other than that no real solution other than the fine advice already given. I always thought my Birdie stayed put well.. But since you have one.. I also liked my Rhyno for that..

And the Worst ones are the ones you almost make and rim out or top out and it chips and rolls and you wish you had missed the basket completely cuz you just turned a par into a 5...

Last edited:
Those gumbputts are like putting with a booger. If you can get it off your fingers cleanly it will definitely stick to whatever it hits. Ultimately not the answer for me.

OP....It's not just you. Go watch some tourney videos by Jomez or CCDG or whoever. Rollaways are just a fact of life even for the pros. Some pin placements intentionally increase the chances of rollaways. The best example in my recent memory would be Miles-Kimmerly west of Traverse City, MI. The course designer obviously had a penchant for rollaways and placed a lot of the baskets on the side of slopes, top of ridges, etc. I think it's actually a good thing because it forces you to putt better. It also forces you to think about the angle your disc is going to hit the ground either off the drive or on a up-shot since those can be subject to hideous rollaways as well. IMHO instead of looking for a "better" putter try to improve your game. ;)

Bricks land on edge more than neutral putters. A Zone-like disc is going to have way more rollaways then something like a Nova. I agree with everything else you said, but experimenting with a Scale, Slammer, etc is more likely to exacerbate the OP's problem than to fix it.

I guess I should say then I don't consider a zone a brick really. I would call a brick something that flies straight and falls out of the sky and son's not glide a lot. Like my seasoned Scale. Before it was seasoned it had mass fade. Not bricky

Last edited:
Used to have the same issue and after testing different molds I found XT Nova and K3 Reko to be most reliable.
Of course practice and angle are the most important factors, but it absolutely seems to be a difference between molds aswell.

I agree with that.
Some of it is the arrow (i.e. Disc) and some is the archer (disc golfer).

Tell us what you want in the putter in terms of flight. Turns left, turns right, or stays straight. I prefer the straight flyer.

Then, of course, it is technique and your tool kit. What throws are in your tool kit? I throw backhand, forehand, and overhand... Each throw is further defined by angle of release, etc. So much variation available. I have a couple of throw techniques just for getting out of the schule and back onto the fairway.

Tldr... Pick a disc that flies as you want it to (Left, right, straight)... Then learn some technique to handle troublesome putting.

Last edited:
Lids have a better tendancy to slowly float down and sit flat. But you will sacrifice some distance. Discs like the sonic, rattler, or doggy style are good for understable. But something like a berg or rhyno would work for a more OS option.

Most of the time it's just reading the green properly though and matching your angles. Can't get mad at a spike hyzer rolling away on a sloped green.

I forgot glide... So important in a putter and the thrower is how much glide there is on your putter. Rhynos go about 200' then drop... Next to no glide there and very predictable... Also does not roll out as much. Glider discs need more finesse and control.

There are a number of other threads that cover this, but the bottom line is that if you don't like the really soft discs (which 'stick' better), then you're going to have the potential for rolling. I like DD putters, also, but I really do not like soft putters. Ergo, I throw my Classic Marshal and take my medicine if it rolls. If I have a DX Polecat in the bag instead of my Champion Polecat, I'll use it.
i was just wondering if a brand of soft putters held up to pressure better and i thought i saw a thread about it but i searched and couldn't find it

Prostyle plastic Umpshot #2 or U-2, if not that then the XT Colt. Another plastic is the R-pro Polecat just go to a store to feel them as a lot of variation happens between discs. Lastly try a Soft X Putt'r as it has very little roll but that is a disc for placement players that are very accurate up to 95% of the time on hitting a small spot 15 feet or more away that is the size of an Ultimate Disc.
yea i wish i could get to the store more often. The one here is a good drive away and i just can't make the trip as much as i wish plus i usually spend too much there lol

How are you throwing putters OP? I usually throw backhand and don't see the disc get up on its edge that much... So, very few roll aways.

Wouldn't you have to be making the putter roll away by the way you are throwing?
op? i can't see what that means

Original post or original poster... So, it's you in this case as a thread starter.

I'm a newb and the courses here are wooded. I need a putter that will lay down and not roll. Any suggestions? My fav putters are The Shield, Birdie, and Warden. I hear the soft/super soft/ etc are good but they don't hold up to damage well. Problem is i'm a tree killer ..if there is a tree on the hole i can find it and hit it. I like Dynamic Discs but i'll throw anything. Thanks for the help.

It sounds like you are looking for a throwing putter that won't roll - you are correct in thinking soft plastic is a good choice here.

I recommend against actually putting with super floppy plastic just for the sake of reducing roll aways…

Specifically, I recommend figuring out your favored in-the-circle putter, and bagging a duplicate in the softest plastic you're comfortable with. For example, I putt hard Daggers and recently resigned to bagging a Zero Soft throwing dagger for touchy upshots.

Funny you mention damage - the REALLY soft putters seem less likely to taco on a hard tree hit. Hard plastic IMHO is sturdy enough to not warp much thanks to the blunt shape of a putter. The "medium" options seem the most vulnerable to significant damage where the rim is actually bent down. The scuffs, dings and gouges just make putters better. ;)

Original post or original poster... So, it's you in this case as a thread starter.

i have been trying forehand putts away from the basket if with in 10/20 feet i do a one foot in front of the other style putt...the spread putt doesn't work for me and out of shape as i am jump putts i feel would break me

i have been trying forehand putts away from the basket if with in 10/20 feet i do a one foot in front of the other style putt...the spread putt doesn't work for me and out of shape as i am jump putts i feel would break me

You need to get it more nose up then. It SOUNDS like it's hitting nose-down. At least this would make the most sense. The only time I get roll-aways is if I'm really unlucky coming off the basket (ie a low putt).

Roll aways happen. I've had roll aways with classic aviars, and with gumbputts. It's about how the disc hits the ground more than what the disc is made of. I play in the woods almost all the time. Try to match the angle of the ground with your disc.

Or just run everything from 100' and deal with it. That's what I do.