• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need Basket Chain and Loops

my thing is galvanized is rough...zinc is not ....i dont want my discs being dinged up from the chain

Your throwing plastic at metal and wood... lol

Oh and 3 micron vs 50 mic = 10x??? Sorry couldn't let it go.

Galvanized should grab better since its rougher... ;)

I'll disagree with this. I use a lot of hardware in corrosive atmospheres. My choice would be stainless over anything. After that galvanized. Zinc plated is my last choice. Following is from the first result that showed up in the search "galvanized vs zinc". I don't agree with the 10 times protection bit although thicker is better IMO>

You go to the hardware store and there is the bolt you need - zinc plated or galvanized - which should you purchase.

Zinc is pretty and shiny - galvanized is dull and ugly. But wait, if you're using the bolt outdoors, in a few years that shinny zinc bolt will be ugly rusted and that dull zinc bolt will still look new.

Outdoors, and where you need corrosion protection - Galvanized
Indoors, or in dry climates where corrosion is not a concern - Zinc

What is the difference between zinc and galvanized? Both zinc plating and galvanizing applies a zinc plating. So they both use zinc. The big difference is in thickness, zinc plating is typically 3 microns thick. Hot dip galvanizing is 50 microns thick - so you get 10 times the protection with galvanizing.

^This^

Zinc is cheaper and will hold up if you plan on storing the baskets inside. I would personally use galvanized if it was my basket because of the above reasons. I don't mind that its a little rougher either because I like my putters a little beat.

Oh and 3 micron vs 50 mic = 10x??? Sorry couldn't let it go.

True. (Sort of. Assuming the thicknesses are correct galvanizing is 16.66 thicker than zinc.) But does 10X (or 16X) thickness = 10X protection? I kinda doubt it. The flaw in either galvanizing or plating is small imperfections that allow rust to start. I see that less with galvanized than with zinc.

Once again, the Instep frame (actually the welds on the frame) will rust through long before the zinc plated chains. We are talking about a light weight basket that is not designed to be stored out doors... If we are debating the weather or corrosion resistance types of materials used we might as well debate the types of stainless steel.

Once again, the Instep frame (actually the welds on the frame) will rust through long before the zinc plated chains. We are talking about a light weight basket that is not designed to be stored out doors... If we are debating the weather or corrosion resistance types of materials used we might as well debate the types of stainless steel.

Buuuut it's all powder coated and stuff. Why is it not suitable for outdoor use?

Its suitable of outdoor use, just don't store it long term outdoors for longest life.

Excellent point, I stand corrected. I meant to say that it is not intended for outdoor storage. I personally would think that it wouldn't have too much of a problem being stored outdoors (depending on the environment of where you live). Most of the time a little surface rust is not a problem. Sometimes people get carried away with the way things look.

I like 316 for small tubing. :D

You have a point about the rust through. I just don't like to see rust and rust stains. It's easier to prevent it.

you can always buy a gallon of zinc paint and paint the basket yourself. Not suggesting a spray, I mean an actual gallon of zinc paint. It's about $150 and weighs about 70lbs. We use it for hig end touch up. I have in the past had baskets dropped off at the galvanizers down the street. I really wouldn't suggest doing that. The high temps cause a lot of warpage.

To the poster who uses stainless steel chain, which grade do you use? The lower grade stuff will rust. In the structural steel business we really don't use much of it. Many of our projects are "buy american" and it's not made in the US.

You don't need to buy a gallon, ZRC is one of the best in my work and its available by the quart or 12oz spray. BTW, it will be the heaviest quart and 12 oz spray can you will ever buy, too.:D http://www.zrcworldwide.com/p_zrc.asp The last basket I made a month ago, I used the ZRC Lite spray. Cost 25 clams to paint the basket and I am not happy with the results. It worked fine on the galv handrails I do, but it isn't holding up will on the basket. Its a good color at least.:\ I know on handrails, the stuff will last about 3-5 years before any touch up is needed..and that is with heavy use, too. Not sure why the basket did so poorly. May have been too thin. Might could try the quart and not thin so much...dunno.

As to the SS, its been a good while since I used it and I have no idea what grade. I used hooks and connectors on it and never welded it...had it been welded, I maybe could have told ya. yes, I know it will rust, but it will take a decade or more for it to begin from what I saw before. It does have a good chromium content because the rust we saw was very superficial and was not spreading. I got the stuff at Homey Despot, too. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 Ignore the description in the link...its the std decsrip. Since it has been a while, I have no idea if the grade is the same or what.

For my baskets, I use just shy of 40 feet of 2/0 straight link chain. That is for an 18 chain design, 12 outside and 6 inside, FWIW.

Attachments

• IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited: