• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Never buying innova/discraft again

Vibram has the advantage of using a press instead of an injection mold, in theory it should be less finniky since they don't have to heat the rubber to as high of a temp as you would injection molding plastic.

But I can't take the rubber feel, even in firm those flight plates feel so floppy.

If you like it that's cool. Everyone has their own issues.

Rubber baby buggy bumpers.

Compression molding = those things loosen up over time!

And yes, Vibram discs get weather-worn and then they dry-rot like a tire. I have a few Vibram-throwing buddies. They call themselves "rubber benders". I am not a rubber bender hahaha.

Last edited:
I can understand what the OP is saying. For those of us who don't have bunches of time to throw in a field to see how different discs react, it would be nice to know exactly how a disc flies off the shelf. I only have time to play 1-2 times a week and I much prefer to actually play than test flight patterns.

I will continue to purchase the discs I've found to like and if I get a weird one, I beat it in until it flies right or trade it to someone who likes its flight.

You will find inconsistencies from every manufacturer. This is why it is a good idea to by a couple backups in the same plastic/color/weight when you find a disc you love to throw.

I agree with this. Every manufacturer is going to have off runs due to the batch of plastic that comes in. As stated, they can go with a higher rated and certified plastic but that cost in manufacturing means we pay more on the user end for plastic. There are times when you can physically get your hands on a disc and start to tell how it's going to fly, or at least ballpark it, more so with star/premium plastic. When you find runs you like, buy in bulk if you can.

You're probably trolling but ... meh.

Go on the vibram fb group and ask about how many ibex runs there are, how to differentiate and how they fly.

Then come back and apologize.

Once you know what you're looking for in a mold, go after just that.

This is why I will mostly buy from a shop where I can look at discs and compare PLH's, dominess etc. Especially Innova Star plastic, will never buy it again online, you just don't know what you're going to get.

Order a stack of Axiom Envy's to practice with, they are dead bang on, live and learn.

If you order online and know what you want send a message to the company first and ask them to handle each disc and get the ones you want. I know Disc Golf Values and HyzerFarm on eBay have no problem going through them and finding the discs I want. Scott Papa from HyzerFarm pretty much already knows what I'm looking for and helps out a ton.

I can understand what the OP is saying. For those of us who don't have bunches of time to throw in a field to see how different discs react, it would be nice to know exactly how a disc flies off the shelf. I only have time to play 1-2 times a week and I much prefer to actually play than test flight patterns.

I will continue to purchase the discs I've found to like and if I get a weird one, I beat it in until it flies right or trade it to someone who likes its flight.
Busy guy! You have more time than this though. You must prioritize disc golf as worthy of 1-2 rounds of your time a week. We make time for things we want to do. Also it only takes a couple throws on course to test out a disc imo. Atleast for the discs I throw this seems to be true. I do agree trading discs with friends can be amazing. Some of my best throwers have come this way. Both people can take a disc they don't care for too much and receive a useful disc for their bag.

Is no one else troubled by the title mentioning Discraft, yet nothing in the post about it? Aside from MVP, Discraft is the most consistent I have seen. Just because they are one of the big companies, why do they get lumped in with Innova?

IJS

I think most people have accepted that OP hasn't figured out it's the archer, not the arrow yet.

Is no one else troubled by the title mentioning Discraft, yet nothing in the post about it? Aside from MVP, Discraft is the most consistent I have seen. Just because they are one of the big companies, why do they get lumped in with Innova?

I was most certainly wondering the same thing. But at the same time, I realize I'm a bit partial to Discraft and am not an "unbiased" disc golfer. The first time I threw my Z FLX "Tracker," it made me question the consistency thing. But even Discraft said that run had a stability of 3.0. I do love Discraft and find that their drivers (I like Cranks, Surges, Nukes) and mids (Buzzz and Drone, at least) are pretty stinking consistent.

Nevertheless, even with their commendable consistency, I still take every new disc for some field time before I decide whether it fits in the bag and how I will use it. I think that's a pretty big part of the game...

As the previous poster said, it's the archer, not the arrow. The right archer can figure out how to use the arrows, whether they're perfectly consistent or not. I think this whole issue mainly comes into play for guys who play so much that they're always worried about finding suitable replacements. For me, it ain't a problem. Don't blame the disc.

IJS

Agree! I have found that discraft is very consistent. Especially compared to innova.

Agree! I have found that discraft is very consistent. Especially compared to innova.

It's much easier for them to be consistent when they only offer one plastic for many of their discs. That's not a bash on Discraft, I like a lot of their discs, but I don't like "Z" plastic, I just can't grip it across all weather conditions.

I've grown to like some of Innova's inconsistencies, you find some real special discs that way.

Hahaha Discraft. I can buy a brand new Z Buzzz and it will fly the same as my favorite one did when it was new, eight years ago. I can buy a brand new Z Force and it will fly the same as my favorite one did when it was new, five years ago. Et cetera. Man, they suck.

It's much easier for them to be consistent when they only offer one plastic for many of their discs. That's not a bash on Discraft, I like a lot of their discs, but I don't like "Z" plastic, I just can't grip it across all weather conditions.

I've grown to like some of Innova's inconsistencies, you find some real special discs that way.

I agree there are many great discs to be had in all lineups. I have always valued the consistency of discraft and the ease in which I can replace a go to disc without searching. Can even buy sight unseen.

Im going to have to throw my support for Discraft here too. Right now I only throw Buzzz OS but I've never had one that didnt fly just like the others. And I have all the crazy limited runs of it. Even the Pro-D Buzzz OS flies the same at first. Im used to Rocs by now, but I consider switching to all Buzzzes (OS, regular,SS) at least a couple times a year.

As for Vibram, Im more of a fan of Steve Dodge and his ideas than I am of their discs. I bought a Ridge as soon as I found out Vibram was making discs because the rubber thing sounded so awesome. However, I find their drivers and the Ibex to be just as wildly inconsistent as anything else. Their putters and the Obex are spot on though.

I have the advantage of being far more inconsistent, myself, than any of my discs.

And with too little time, and too little willingness to spend lots of money on discs, to buy multiples of the same disc and worry about their variability. Odds are a replacement of the same make & model will fly a bit differently, but still be useful, perhaps in a different slot in my bag. I haven't dealt with any discs where I had one that was essential to me, and the next disc of the same make & model was so different as to be useless.

:rolleyes:

Real special is right....

The most consistent company out there is Franklin. They are so bad, none of them fly well.

THAT is consistent.

Latest posts