• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Never buying innova/discraft again

It's much easier for them to be consistent when they only offer one plastic for many of their discs. That's not a bash on Discraft, I like a lot of their discs, but I don't like "Z" plastic, I just can't grip it across all weather conditions.

Gonna have to disagree with you.

Discraft molds available in at least 4 plastic blends:

Avenger
Avenger SS
Buzzz
Buzzz SS
Buzzz OS
Challenger
Comet
Crank
Drone
Force
Heat
Mantis
Nuke
Nuke SS
Predator
Stalker
Surge
Surge SS
Tracker
Wasp
XL
Zombee
Zone

Is no one else troubled by the title mentioning Discraft, yet nothing in the post about it? Aside from MVP, Discraft is the most consistent I have seen. Just because they are one of the big companies, why do they get lumped in with Innova?

IJS

I agree. I also find (this could just be a local thing) that if you look in a MVP players bag, you will see a few Discraft molds in there as well. Same for the Discraft throwers, there will be a few MVP molds in there. Neither player will have Innova.

OK, OK so I do have a Roc3, but its only one disc.

If you want consistent, MVP is for you. They have their own issues (rim grip/selection, the "MVP roll away", holes in their disc line up)

As one local says to me "Your discs have Goodyears on them" :D

T
That would require that the discs manufacture process allow the discs to cool in a stable unchanging environment so that they were almost perfectly consistent. All your discs would be white too.

Even among MVP, color matters. I always try to get the disc with the least amount of color in them. White is best, Pink is second, Orange Cream is third. The only high saturation color I will use is Lilac.

So you're comforted by their marketing strategy?
Marketing strategy? Labeling things descriptively may be a marketing strategy, but it is a good one. That is "good" as in beneficial and useful to everyone/anyone. No need for the sarcastic put down.
Ahh yes, simplicity. A notion marketed to the simple minded who would rather have their available options cut than be overwhelmed by having them.

Whatever works for you.
KISS works for everyone! Simpler the better. It is smart to keep things as simple as possible. From an engineering standpoint, is not every part a possible failure point? So, the fewer parts, generally the better, as long as the functionality is there. Nothing "simple minded" about it. Again, no need for the sarcastic put down.
Perfectly stated ^. Hang in there OP, things will make more sense when your disc golf baby head stops having soft spots.
:thmbdown: Having played for 5 years, and having used enough different discs to experience inconsistency, I doubt that a mature and reasonable person would think OP to be a "disc golf baby."
I think most people have accepted that OP hasn't figured out it's the archer, not the arrow yet.

As the previous poster said, it's the archer, not the arrow. The right archer can figure out how to use the arrows, whether they're perfectly consistent or not. I think this whole issue mainly comes into play for guys who play so much that they're always worried about finding suitable replacements. For me, it ain't a problem. Don't blame the disc.
Good archers choose and use good arrows.
I remember a time when DC Comics' Green Arrow used a bunch of trick arrows. Then Green Arrow was revamped, and he only used normal arrows. Why? Because it is the archer, not the arrow.
From a little bit of reading, competitive archers seem to use only one or two types of arrows--carbon fiber ones that are straight, consistent, and relatively simple to use. I strongly suspect that archers of days past--you know the ones who depended on their arrows for survival--would you crazy if, given a choice, you did not choose and use the most consistent and simplest to use arrows. They would also think you stupid for so easily dismissing the quality of the arrows. No one hunting to put meat in the pot would want to have to adjust to the quality of the arrow on the fly. Simple is good!
:doh:
Once again, no need for the put downs...y'all are making yourselves look bad, not OP.

But are they making themselves look as bad as the guy who white knighted so hard he read and multi-quoted the entire thread?

You must not internet much if you think this thread is bad.

I'm not insulting/putting down anybody. This isn't the first time I've seen this argument, and it's certainly not the first time I've seen someone eat their words when they realize consistency isn't as great as it's made out to be. Sorry that you find honesty insulting.

Whoah where did that come from? I was certainly not insulting the OP. To be fair, I have only thrown a friend's Vibram disc once, so I acknowledge I'm not qualified to speak to their consistency. My point was that Discraft does have "inconsistency," as EVERY disc manufacturer does. But it's not bad enough to negatively affect my disc golf experience.

The answer to all of this is to buy 200 or more of these things and then only carry 18 of the most trustworthy (or new, or shiny, or first run bar stamp zipper top matte white jollylauncher zone driven dyemax) ones when you go out to play.

Whoah where did that come from? I was certainly not insulting the OP. To be fair, I have only thrown a friend's Vibram disc once, so I acknowledge I'm not qualified to speak to their consistency. My point was that Discraft does have "inconsistency," as EVERY disc manufacturer does. But it's not bad enough to negatively affect my disc golf experience.

That's because you're not sensitive enough, unlike the majority of respondents in this thread.

The answer to all of this is to buy 200 or more of these things and then only carry 18 of the most trustworthy (or new, or shiny, or first run bar stamp zipper top matte white jollylauncher zone driven dyemax) ones when you go out to play.

Sounds familiar. Good to have a strong bench when you need a replacement.

I agree. I also find (this could just be a local thing) that if you look in a MVP players bag, you will see a few Discraft molds in there as well. Same for the Discraft throwers, there will be a few MVP molds in there. Neither player will have Innova.

OK, OK so I do have a Roc3, but its only one disc.

Hahahaha my bag is mostly Discraft and Innova with a coupla Trilogy offerings tossed in. You won't find any GYRO in my bag... Or my friends' bags... Must be a local thing.

The most consistent company out there is Franklin. They are so bad, none of them fly well.

THAT is consistent.

I'll put my Halexes against your Franklins anyday! Halex ruuuuuuuuules!

be5c8192641251b1510fcef465f60b88.jpg

As you can see, they always go in the basket. Consistency, baby!

KISS works for everyone!

From a little bit of reading, competitive archers seem to use only one or two types of arrows--carbon fiber ones that are straight, consistent, and relatively simple to use.
I was a competitive archer for a number of years and I will attest that some would spend more than an hour selecting their arrows for each round.

Update:
So yesterday was the first day I played strictly all vibram (other than my awesome judge) and I actually loved it. I'm not promoting vibram just this style of play. I had 10 discs. That's it! I used to carry 30. It was nice. I had 1 disc for every situation and I knew exactly how'd they fly. The only other discs I really will use now is my Valkyrie which I use for thumbers to get out of tight spots and my drone for short sidearm throws when you need a hard curve.
If they break in I'll just replace them. It's just relieving having minimal discs that makes things simple to choose and the discs become familiar much faster. I actually played the 2nd best round of my 6 year career. Not giving vibram the credit, someone's been helping me on my technique

Update:
So yesterday was the first day I played strictly all vibram (other than my awesome judge) and I actually loved it. I'm not promoting vibram just this style of play. I had 10 discs. That's it! I used to carry 30. It was nice. I had 1 disc for every situation and I knew exactly how'd they fly. The only other discs I really will use now is my Valkyrie which I use for thumbers to get out of tight spots and my drone for short sidearm throws when you need a hard curve.
If they break in I'll just replace them. It's just relieving having minimal discs that makes things simple to choose and the discs become familiar much faster. I actually played the 2nd best round of my 6 year career. Not giving vibram the credit, someone's been helping me on my technique

So out of the 10 disc you have in your current arsenal, 20% are from manufacturers that you started this thread to bash. :|

Latest posts