• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Cart Friendly Indicator

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
People have been asking for this for a while but the issue was what qualifies as "cart friendly" will vary from person to person so I thought just checking out the landscape and pics would be do a better job of helping people figure that out. I kept getting requests for it though so I finally added it in. Since it's sort of a gray area, it's a 3 option field with Not Friendly, Somewhat Friendly and Very Friendly.

I guess some course will clearly fall into the "friendly" category and I've already gone and marked every "Mostly Flat" course as "Very Cart Friendly".

So please update your local courses with the new info when you get a chance!

It look like the cart-friendly selection is not being saved. I tried to change one for Brockway but when I go back into the form, the cart-friendly field remains blank.

It look like the cart-friendly selection is not being saved. I tried to change one for Brockway but when I go back into the form, the cart-friendly field remains blank.

Yes...this is what's happening for me, as well. I hadn't gone back in to see if it was saving.

Fixed it guys, should be all set now!

If you updated a course prior to this post, you'll probably have to do it again. The changes weren't being saved.

Last edited:
Fixed it guys, should be all set now!

If you updated a course prior to this post, you'll probably have to do it again. The changes weren't being saved.

Thanks Tim! This is a great piece of information to make available.

I think I can name you a few flat ones that are not cart friendly due to the train type , one in Delaware Cape Henlope State Park Course being sand on 95% of the course that still had when I played the original 1980's type Mach II baskets at the park. The tee pads got moved as discs got longer and throwers got better, used wooden dock tops weighted down into the sand with the rubber tee pad on top.

Tough course due to the changing sand terrain at the course when I played...back in 2005? I had sand in my bag after that course for a year even though I cleaned out my bag. My dad saw somebody using a odd FLW fishing seat with strap and bags on it as a Disc Golf bag and my dad when he got home got the same FLW fishing bag at Walmart and that has been his bag ever since, he was using a small Lighting bag before that. Now as of August 4 2017 we both have a bag with a built in seat, mine is the Vertex Angler Backpack. I know mine works better then using a stool with my old setup for tournaments, League stuff and large groups.

Casey,

Please feel free to update any that you think aren't cart friendly. I just did a global flat = friendly thing because it's probably true more often than not but I'm sure there are some exceptions.

I think I can name you a few flat ones that are not cart friendly due to the train type , one in Delaware Cape Henlope State Park Course being sand on 95% of the course that still had when I played the original 1980's type Mach II baskets at the park. The tee pads got moved as discs got longer and throwers got better, used wooden dock tops weighted down into the sand with the rubber tee pad on top.

Tough course due to the changing sand terrain at the course when I played...back in 2005? I had sand in my bag after that course for a year even though I cleaned out my bag. My dad saw somebody using a odd FLW fishing seat with strap and bags on it as a Disc Golf bag and my dad when he got home got the same FLW fishing bag at Walmart and that has been his bag ever since, he was using a small Lighting bag before that. Now as of August 4 2017 we both have a bag with a built in seat, mine is the Vertex Angler Backpack. I know mine works better then using a stool with my old setup for tournaments, League stuff and large groups.

Depends on what type of cart you have. I have a 3 wheel baby jogging stroller that is use and that thing handles sand with no problem.

This is probably exactly why you avoided doing this in the first place, but I really feel like it should at least be a 1-5 scale. I think a lot of courses fall under more of a "Mostly" where there is only a hole or two that causes any issues. I feel these courses deserve more than a "Somewhat", but certainly aren't a "Very".

1-Not at all
2-Doable, but you're probably better off not
3-Expect some issues, but you can make it 50/50
4-Most of it is fine with a couple of holes that could cause some issues
5-Very Friendly

Not saying they're not out there, but I've never played a course that I thought there was no way I would take my cart. That being said, I also go into it knowing that I may need to maneuver a little more than someone without a cart. I could see not taking it on some of the mountain courses, but I haven't had that pleasure yet.

There are definitely some courses that are not cart friendly (Nockamixon off the top of my head). Getting too granular with the scale probably isn't necessary for most people. You can check the indicator and then look at pics and decide for yourself.

I think a lot of courses are probably mostly if not entirely cart friendly and just having a "not friendly" indicator might have been a good option for this.

There are definitely some courses that are not cart friendly (Nockamixon off the top of my head). Getting too granular with the scale probably isn't necessary for most people. You can check the indicator and then look at pics and decide for yourself.

I think a lot of courses are probably mostly if not entirely cart friendly and just having a "not friendly" indicator might have been a good option for this.

In the central NC area, most courses are not very cart friendly. I suppose it depends on how many wheels your cart has though.

I just updated a course as very, but could have used an extra option in there, what Tim listed a few posts back would be perfect. It's very friendly, save for 2 hills, which aren't bad but a cart makes them a little more of a workout.

My apologies for being somewhat illiterate. But where is this new feature located? I can't seem to find it to update my course. Thanks!

It's just above the misc. info stuff on the update form, two up from the description.

The 3-option scale works for me.

Our course is fairly cart-friendly, I guess, except for one really brutal hole right in the middle of it. But cart-draggers who've been there before, bring their carts back again, so I went with "somewhat".

Being that I don't use a cart (yet), I can't really give a cart friendliness rating, but even a lot of flat terrain courses may have creek or ditch crossings that don't have adequate bridges for carts. I kind of wish the feature was left in some sort of neutral position until someone with a cart chimes in. Even if most of the holes present no problem for carts, the few that do IMO might significantly impact the experience.

Seems like great information but could just end up being a battle back and forth between the 70 year old with a cart who can barely walk a course much less pull a cart toggling every course with a set of stairs to Not friendly and the 95% of others with carts who find the course moderately or very friendly... back and forth.

Latest posts