• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] New distance record WIIIIITHHH....

that's a great point. thanks very much.

i can see now how many of the distance records could easily be close to what that person could have done on a flat area with no wind. but i'd also guess that there are a few that are not close. it's only a guess though and could be wrong.

but should i have a throw that's greatly aided by wind or other conditions and grants me a much higher max distance number to my personal record, i will most likely still report my lower number that i'm positive i can do on a flat area with no wind.

i will also continue to be annoyed by people who say they throw X (just because they did it that one time in 25mph winds at their back) even though i know they couldn't possibly throw X with no wind. but hey, it's not their job to please me and they have the right to say whatever number floats their boat.
When you say "I throw X" that should mean what you can throw with relative consistently. If you say "My best distance throw is Y" then that leaves more variable potential.

When you say "I throw X" that should mean what you can throw with relative consistently. If you say "My best distance throw is Y" then that leaves more variable potential.

That right there is the key factor - Max distance vs. consistent distance. In the context that Brall is discussing this, I agree with him. The kicker is that it's all a moot point. Nobody will every be able to verify everyone's distance claims (nor would they want to bother) and until Disc Golf becomes a police state sport and all statements must be verified with video of it happening (plus wind readings and the degree of slope properly measured and recorded), we're just gonna have to take each others' words for it. Personally, I consider my best throw to be 345ft because that's what I was able to do on flat ground with very little wind. If I was considering massive downhill shots it would be over 500 which I feel is grossly misleading.

Fine points, but irrelevant to a discussion on a distance competition where players are not going for repeatable golf lines, they're trying to max everything out and set a record. Not one of them claims to throw 800' every time they want to, not sure where that side of the discussion came from.

Probably been said here, but the downside is that when I am talking someone out of throwing the Boss a max of 300', I can no longer say "yeah, it is fast, bud do you know what disc has the distance record?" Then again; not like a Valk is what that person should be using, but it was at least a step in the right direction.

R-Pro Boss almost got it last year, bosses rock as long as they aren't so stupidly overstable. I like them that way too though.

Fine points, but irrelevant to a discussion on a distance competition where players are not going for repeatable golf lines, they're trying to max everything out and set a record. Not one of them claims to throw 800' every time they want to, not sure where that side of the discussion came from.

This.

^buys grooves. and aces with them.

lol, the ace was just luck. my pdga rating reflects that.

and i buy them for $4 because no other disc will sell that cheap. i use grooves for risky situations, especially across water. the groove is not a good disc, but it's far better than a dragon.

i'd prefer to buy leopards for $4 but that's aint happenin'.

Last edited:
Wiggins can still throw 600 on a golf line I'm sure...

He can. Last year Wiggins played one of the tournaments i ran. One one hole, with the basket slightly higher elevation than the tee measured at 605 with GPS. Wiggins hit the pole on his drive. Witnessed the shot myself.

No other player that threw that hole was anywhere close to making an attempt at duece let alone a drop in putt.

there was a story about a drive, and i'm almost positive it was wiggins.

i tried to find it but couldn't locate it.

it went something like this: everyone was throwing their drives on a hole that has a sharp right turn around a bend to the basket (kind of horseshoe shaped).

wiggins steps up, stands on the tee but faces the wall of trees and looks up, thinking about his throw. to everyone's surprise he throws a humungous overhand over the trees to land in the clear while everyone else had to take the fairway approach.

anyone know where that video is? pretty sure it was wiggins, dunno...

How does a company as big and as important as Innova produce a horrible video like that? It's a horrible edit, the camera is inadequate and you only see the disc when it hits the ground. How cool would it have been to see the flight path, a slow mo of his throw? A camera out at the 800' mark etc...

Innova could have done much better IMO.

as i said, i am in the minority in my way of thinking. i understand your disagreement with my thoughts.

when most people state how far they can throw, it's generally a much higher number than what they could actually throw on a flat area with no wind. i currently state the later.

eventually, i may switch over to the majority way of thinking.

Yea no. Not all of us have a high internet distance that they faked. I have actually had my distance documented at a distance competition where I threw less than my furthest throw but still a lot further than most. In my sig I have my distance record that was in bounds. I had a 590 throw but it was OB so I'm not counting it. Don't think that everybody is a phony. And to let u know, mine was on a flat group with no wind with like 50ish people watching and O let me see it made the Innova website. Dam troll.

How does a company as big and as important as Innova produce a horrible video like that? It's a horrible edit, the camera is inadequate and you only see the disc when it hits the ground. How cool would it have been to see the flight path, a slow mo of his throw? A camera out at the 800' mark etc...

Innova could have done much better IMO.

1. Good video production is expensive. Distance competitions take a lot of time for little payoff. It is not worth it get a camera crew together for one.
2. Different people have tried to tape distance competitions only to not catch a a record breaking throw. Which would be the purpose of such a thing. After a few years, they stopped trying to get great shots.
3. Usually there isn't a large group of people out doing this. It is a few people who travel out there to just throw bombs. So players, a few friends, and a few officials. Not a camera crew.
4. A second camera would have been nice, but I really doubt they were thinking about good production in the least.

1. Good video production is expensive. Distance competitions take a lot of time for little payoff. It is not worth it get a camera crew together for one.
2. Different people have tried to tape distance competitions only to not catch a a record breaking throw. Which would be the purpose of such a thing. After a few years, they stopped trying to get great shots.
3. Usually there isn't a large group of people out doing this. It is a few people who travel out there to just throw bombs. So players, a few friends, and a few officials. Not a camera crew.
4. A second camera would have been nice, but I really doubt they were thinking about good production in the least.

Good video production is not expensive. (for a company like Innova).
If you can follow a golf ball you can follow a disc even with a hand held camera.
And to answer your number 4; Exactly, they weren't thinking.

Wiggins is Innova's future and they should be promoting this kid a lot better than they have been. Not to mention this record will sell a lot of Blizzard plastic and probably change how future courses are designed.