• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New guy from Tampa area

TGDisc

Hello everyone, newbie here from the Tampa area. My name is Todd. Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Seems like some good people here.

Welcome, from Oklahoma City (but I was in Miami for a year and enjoyed one trip up to Tampa/Clearwater). It's a great place to play. Good luck, and have fun!

Welcome, from Oklahoma City (but I was in Miami for a year and enjoyed one trip up to Tampa/Clearwater). It's a great place to play. Good luck, and have fun!

Thanks! Did you ever venture up to Fort Lauderdale? I have a friend in that area and we have played Tradewinds and Easterlin quite a few times. Fun courses!

I don't think I played either! I ran out of time before I moved away, so I'll have to go back! I mainly played Plantation Heritage Park and Jet Stream (Snyder Park) because they were farther south.

In my trip to Tampa, I really enjoyed playing Picnic Island, but I'm not sure how great it is as a beginner or regular course. Cliff Stevens and Coachman were both really nice too. I didn't get to play a ton of other courses there, though.

I don't think I played either! I ran out of time before I moved away, so I'll have to go back! I mainly played Plantation Heritage Park and Jet Stream (Snyder Park) because they were farther south.

In my trip to Tampa, I really enjoyed playing Picnic Island, but I'm not sure how great it is as a beginner or regular course. Cliff Stevens and Coachman were both really nice too. I didn't get to play a ton of other courses there, though.

I played PI a few weeks ago and made the newb mistake of not bringing mosquito spray and got destroyed by mosquitos. It was fairly beginner friendly compared to the others I have played (Cypress Point and Medard). I look forward to playing it again when I am prepared lol. If I am ever up in OK, I will pick your brain on best ones to play.

Haha! Yeah I played in June when I was there, and I still got eaten alive even with bug spray. It was quite challenging but well maintained and pretty easy to find the next holes.

Absolutely hit me up if you're in Oklahoma, though this isn't really a "disc golf destination." But we've got some very nice courses and I'd love to play a round or two if I'm free! DGCR has a lot of really helpful members if you're looking for someone to show you a new course. I still regret not playing Tradewinds, Easterlin, and Markham with a member I met down in South Florida.

Welcome. I have played Most of the Ft Lauderdale area courses including all of the ones mentioned. Markham is "done" now and very nice. The Jet Stream is probably my favorite course in that area. If you want a similar course to say Tradewinds in the Tampa area, I would recommend Taylor Park. Limonia might be your best bet for leagues if Medard still scares you.

I'm new as well, and also from the Tampa area. I live in Oldsmar, just a few blocks from the new course at Sheffield Park.

Welcome from Upper Michigan!
"And I'm getting really sick of guys named Todd"
If you haven't heard this George Carlin bit, you should Google it. Everytime I meet someone named Todd I have to laugh.

Todd,

looks like you've played a few of the top area courses. like you've already keyed into, you should stay away from higher skilled courses until you've gotten the basics down.

for beginners, ill suggest these area courses.
Azalea, Youth Park, Taylor - short pads, 22nd St, Limona
farther out, Foral park - short pads, and GT Bray.

I played PI a few weeks ago and made the newb mistake of not bringing mosquito spray and got destroyed by mosquitos. It was fairly beginner friendly compared to the others I have played (Cypress Point and Medard). I look forward to playing it again when I am prepared lol. If I am ever up in OK, I will pick your brain on best ones to play.

Welcome from Upper Michigan!
"And I'm getting really sick of guys named Todd"
If you haven't heard this George Carlin bit, you should Google it. Everytime I meet someone named Todd I have to laugh.

Haha love that guy! And even I had to laugh at that one.

Todd,

looks like you've played a few of the top area courses. like you've already keyed into, you should stay away from higher skilled courses until you've gotten the basics down.

for beginners, ill suggest these area courses.
Azalea, Youth Park, Taylor - short pads, 22nd St, Limona
farther out, Foral park - short pads, and GT Bray.

Thanks! I have kind of done things backwards, whereas I have spent the last few months learning the form for a longer drive and can consistently throw in the 375-400 range with decent accuracy now. I spent a lot of time of the field with this applying some of the stuff from here. But putting and approach, I am absolutely terrible at. So yeah, I like your advice of doing the short courses with a mid range or putter to get better at approach/putting. Lord knows I need it.

Check out Taylor Park in Largo. It's clean, scenic, multi tees and pins. My favorite down there.

Greetings from Fort Lauderdale! Have you played Coachman in Clearwater yet?

Also, if you come to this side of the state, especially on a weekend, let me know, lots of good disc golf here in Broward county.

Latest posts