• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New member in China

Fat Dragon

I've been living in China for eight years and playing DG every chance I get during my summers back in the States for the whole time. I've finally decided it's time to start playing here, even though there are no courses and few suitable places to play here in the city. I'll be poking around from time to time and hopefully asking more and more questions about DIY targets and course design - one dream is to get permission to set up a course somewhere nearby. I've been playing in a pretty good location where it's highly unlikely there will be any development, but they use it as a tree farm for city landscaping projects, so I'm not sure it would be a viable location for a permanent course. Either way, here's hoping we can spread the sport even further.

You miss every shot you don't take! Ask often to get a course somewhere!

You miss every shot you don't take! Ask often to get a course somewhere!

Good advice that I need to be well aware of - I'm good at ideas, bad at initiative, and that's not gonna get me anywhere. I'm hoping to get some time to scout out some college campuses to see which ones would have some potential for courses. The tree farm is nice for run-ahead-and-set-a-target play, but getting the game on college campuses would motivate growth, while a random course on top of a traffic tunnel (where the tree farm is located) would make it harder to promote the sport.

Welcome to the site. While driving through Russell County Arkansas last month I stopped for the night at a Best Western. While eating breakfast the next morning, an older gentleman commented on my Disc golf shirt. He said he had a son in China that loves to play disc golf an trying to bring DG to China. I realize the chances are slim, but are you from Arkansas and is your Pops a graduate of Arkansas Tech college. I ask because the old man "Herb" was such a cool old man who knew the history of the area and regaled me with stories about the outlaws that roamed the area a century and a half ago.

^^^ really hoping that worlds did just collide.

China had disc golf

Lived in Beijing in 2006-07. There used to be a basket course in Beijing back in 2006. In the eastern suburb of Tongzhou there used to be an American that was brought in to run the Altoi (sic) Sports Stadium for the Olympics. No official sporting events here held but they were planning on hosting a couple of concerts.
Latitude 39 54 33.0
Longitude 116 40 42.9

The guy had a local build some baskets and had them installed along the water front. Short but fun. The course lasted 6 months until a local official walked along didn't know what they were and had them removed.

I threw a couple of times in Chaoyang Park. I wanted to throw a couple in Tienanmen Square just to say I had but guaranteed I'd get toss off the square for doing so. I did launch one from the Great Wall near Simitai, fun to watch it sail off into the distance.

Good luck. Steve

^^^ really hoping that worlds did just collide.

Yes. I only mention it because old Herb made an impression. Could've talked to him for hours if I had the time. And he was quite proud of his son's accomplishments.

I've been living in China for eight years and playing DG every chance I get during my summers back in the States for the whole time. I've finally decided it's time to start playing here, even though there are no courses and few suitable places to play here in the city. I'll be poking around from time to time and hopefully asking more and more questions about DIY targets and course design - one dream is to get permission to set up a course somewhere nearby. I've been playing in a pretty good location where it's highly unlikely there will be any development, but they use it as a tree farm for city landscaping projects, so I'm not sure it would be a viable location for a permanent course. Either way, here's hoping we can spread the sport even further.

Maybe contact yikun ? Might be able to sell you inexpensive basket or direct you to a "local" course?

http://www.yikunsports.com/en/

Good luck with getting a course installed.
I hope the guy hipster talked to is the OPs Dad.

Yes. I only mention it because old Herb made an impression. Could've talked to him for hours if I had the time. And he was quite proud of his son's accomplishments.

No dice on him being the dad, although Fat Dragon did go to college in Arkansas, so pretty close there. He'll be getting in some Disc Golf at least stateside in a month or two which will be nice.

^^ always good to come back home. I enjoyed my brief time in Arkansas. Fayetteville was popping on the early Saturday morning I was there.

Welcome to the site. While driving through Russell County Arkansas last month I stopped for the night at a Best Western. While eating breakfast the next morning, an older gentleman commented on my Disc golf shirt. He said he had a son in China that loves to play disc golf an trying to bring DG to China. I realize the chances are slim, but are you from Arkansas and is your Pops a graduate of Arkansas Tech college. I ask because the old man "Herb" was such a cool old man who knew the history of the area and regaled me with stories about the outlaws that roamed the area a century and a half ago.

Nope, but I'd love to get in contact with Herb's son.

Maybe contact yikun ? Might be able to sell you inexpensive basket or direct you to a "local" course?

http://www.yikunsports.com/en/

I've chatted with their reps on Taobao, not sure who in the company was on the other line, but they gave the kind of cautiously-supportive answer I get from a lot of people here: not offering to help or giving advice, but "good luck and keep us updated if anything happens" - the nice way of interpreting that is that they're supportive but can't help. Unfortunately, the more realistic way of interpreting it here in China is that they hope I do something so that they can then make some money off of my effort.

Anyway, they said there's a guy on a college campus in Yichang - about 5 hours west of me - who's talking with his school's administrators about putting in a course on campus, and a group of foreigners in Shenzhen who get together for some disc golf sometimes, though they didn't say whether those guys use temporary baskets or something less official, like the jersey on a carabiner that my buddies and I run out and hang on trees for a target.

No dice on him being the dad, although Fat Dragon did go to college in Arkansas, so pretty close there. He'll be getting in some Disc Golf at least stateside in a month or two which will be nice.

Crap. It seems I've got a stalker. I knew I should have used a better VPN. :D

Speaking of Yikun - anybody got good advice on their discs? I made the mistake of buying a couple factory seconds from them thinking they would be misstamped but fly fine. The stamps are fine, so I don't really know if they're flying right. The Jun flies like a Wraith or a Stalker, but a bit more stable than either of those (my experience is really limited, so I could be giving really wacky comparisons here), while the Da'E is uselessly overstable.