• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie started for weight loss but loving it

Rangers72

Started at 278, hoping to drop 50 pounds by summer time, unemployed right now so gonna be playing 2-3 hours a day, hopefully i get better because right now I suck, best score out of 5 rounds is 42 on 9 holer eeeek

In the Fort Worth area, played a few rounds at Willow Creek but it seems rather boring and bland.

Biggest problem for me so far is throwing it too high and catching too much wind, although it has been quite windy past 2 days.

.........although it has been quite windy past 2 days.

Tell me about it. We played Haslet today and as usual the wind was strong. My son and I both agreed though that playing in those conditions is good for our game.

My best friend has not been playing as long as we have and was struggling with nose up issues, especially in the wind today. We gave him some tips on his grip and his throws flattened out immediately. You may want to start there.

Welcome to the madness. Glad you're having fun!

Welcome and good luck! If you really wanna lose some weight, come up north and play in 18" of snow. Never worked so hard during a round before.

Welcome, great job on the weight. Good luck on the job front. As for the nose up, well I think that is an issue for a number of new players, practice and youtube can help you work that out.

Welcome to the site, brother! Was stationed in Fort Worth for four years (lived on Denise Road in Saginaw), but didn't know about DG or the awesome-ness of it until recently. Feel your pain WRT weight loss because I've been on both ends of the spectrum. A deployment to Kuwait made me realize exactly how much control I had over my weight. A whole bunch of cardio knocked 47 pounds off my weight when I left the sandbox, but that was before I knew about the wonder and majesty of disc golf.

That said, my advice is get yourself a FitBit and play disc golf. Of course, the biggest challenge is pushing yourself away from the table, but I guarantee that the more you get into this awesome game the more you'll want to play it and the less you'll be tempted by Taco Casa and the like.

I wish you well, brother, and hope you meet your goal.

Looks like Fitbit does not yet have a gps? When they do & are <$100, that is when I will consider getting one that also functions as a watch (like The Force).

Welcome to the site, brother! Was stationed in Fort Worth for four years (lived on Denise Road in Saginaw), but didn't know about DG or the awesome-ness of it until recently. Feel your pain WRT weight loss because I've been on both ends of the spectrum. A deployment to Kuwait made me realize exactly how much control I had over my weight. A whole bunch of cardio knocked 47 pounds off my weight when I left the sandbox, but that was before I knew about the wonder and majesty of disc golf.

That said, my advice is get yourself a FitBit and play disc golf. Of course, the biggest challenge is pushing yourself away from the table, but I guarantee that the more you get into this awesome game the more you'll want to play it and the less you'll be tempted by Taco Casa and the like.

I wish you well, brother, and hope you meet your goal.

Ha ha good old taco casa, i am too from saginaw, my patents live off knowles dr just down the street from willow creek. I myself live off denton highway in haltom city now, gonna try out north park next week. Tomorrow my cousin is showing me z boaz course.

As far as the weight loss thing, i was 360 3 years ago and got diasnosed with diabetes, im down to 278 and wanna get to 220. Disc golfing doesnt feel like exercise its just fun.

Last edited:
Welcome and good luck! If you really wanna lose some weight, come up north and play in 18" of snow. Never worked so hard during a round before.

A few years ago fort worth got 13 inches of snow which isblike a once in a lifetime snowstorm here. I decided i wasgonna go walking im the snow... my calfs hatef me about halfway thru lol.

Been on both ends of the spectrum... now I consider myself a bit of a fitness nut!

This is one thing I considered doing for this spring, once the snow leaves, buying some ankle-weights. You can have them on under your jeans, and no one except you will notice that they're even there.

I also play in the winter-snow of Minnesota, and yes it is an intense workout.

Most important thing: limit your intake. Hard to do, but most effective. If you're successful at limiting your intake, then not only will reach your goal, but you will be setting new goals for yourself.

I started playing because it's a good way to disguise a long walk as something fun.
Yesterday I played kind of a speed round, keep up the fast pace, it will get your heart moving.

Congratulations on the weight loss idea. In 2012, I was 342 lbs. I have now been maintaining at 270-275 and I hope to take playing disc golf into the summer and losing more. My goal is 245-250 and I am sure that playing 7 days a week will help in some fashion. Keep up the good work and remember that disc golf isn't exercise, it is enjoyment.

Good luck with everything! It's a great, fun and CHEAP way to get some exercise. I was 273 last summer and am down to 238 as of this morning - the first 6 months was purely disc golf, the last 3 have been in combination with the myfitnesspal ipod app. Sucked cutting the calories for about 3-4 weeks until the body adjusted, now it's a great accountability measurement for myself.

Best part about it is (for us who get more serious with disc golf and start playing tournaments) that the 4th round in two days isn't nearly as tiring as it was last summer - scores have gotten lower and my disc golf energy is substantially higher.

Sounds like an awesome goal youv'e set for yourself and a fun way to accomplish it too! With the throwing to high problem I think a lot of begginers go through this stage including myself. All I had to do to fix it was have my arm go through a flatter plane and keeping it level instead of raising up. Hope this helps an good luck with your goal.

Started at 278, hoping to drop 50 pounds by summer time, unemployed right now so gonna be playing 2-3 hours a day, hopefully i get better because right now I suck, best score out of 5 rounds is 42 on 9 holer eeeek.

Right on! I'm with ya buddy. When I first started playing bout 18monts ago with some friends I was having to sit for 5-10mins every couple of holes. Worked out fine cause my friends smoke but it would take us 3 hours to play a round. Then by the end of a round I was exhausted.
I had fun so I started walking during the week and disc golf on the weekends.

Now I've went from 350 down to 270 and I can play a round in hour and 15mins solo without sitting down then go grocery shopping afterwards.

Keep it up man its worth it! (but I still suck ;)

The more you exercise the better you will get at the sport and the better you are, the more fun it is! As always, keep up the good work and strive for big goals.

The more you exercise the better you will get at the sport and the better you are, the more fun it is! As always, keep up the good work and strive for big goals.

Thanks everyone for the updates! It's great to hear about the awesome things that are happening here. Keep us posted!

I started at over 240 last year, am now under 190! Getting ready to order a bike and will be biking to my home course as much as possible this summer.

Stay with it, it's an awesome, fun way to lose weight and help get healthier!

Good luck on the weight loss!

Z-boaz is a pretty awesome course! If you go a little farther south to Crowley, bicentennial park is a lot of fun. Arcadia is pretty close to you also. Saddle hills isn't that far either. Cedar hill is a ways but definitely worth it with 2 great course back to back. Veterans is a little challenging for beginners but not far.

But if I could play anywhere near you it would probably be bear creek. Not extremely difficult for a beginner but a nice mix of left and right holes and not many bomb shots. Probably my favorite course in the dfw. Hole 12 is just to much fun to pass up.