• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

Looks like Creek Wise in Marion is no more. Baskets have already been pulled or will be pulled soon. When I played it six years ago, the course was mostly done. Sadly, it seems that's the best it ever looked.

Random note: I played this course on the way back to Charlotte after playing Harmon Hills. I feel confident I'm the only person who's ever bagged these two course on the same day.

I spent several days volunteering on the course (including one when Elaine King came out) it is fun and long but not terribly difficult. It doesn't feel like NC golf to me. The woods just aren't as "woodsy" as I expect in the Triangle. That said, the length could make a "woodsy" round take a really long time.

The back 9 is fairly representative of NC golf IMO. It is rare for a wooded course to have fairways that wide on so many holes though.

Looks like Dorothea Dix Park in Raleigh now has a second temp 9-hole course, this one much longer than the one from the fall and utilizing a different part of the park. It is now open, and will be available during Feb and March.

https://dixpark.org/pop-disc-golf-course

https://dixpark.org/sites/dixpark/files/2021-02/PRCR-Pop_Up_Disc_Golf_PDF.pdf

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=12095

Cool that every hole is at least a par 4! Don't think I've ever seen that for a 9-hole course. It's way longer than a lot of 18-hole courses.

I have a par 4 on the 9 hole course I built in Denver, NC.

Raleigh TEMP Course Updates!

Forest Ridge Park DGC will be pulled for the season next week, on the 15th or later.

Dix Park - West is scheduled to be pulled at the end of the month.

Let Raleigh P&R know how much we want new courses, play these courses while you can!

Looks like Creek Wise in Marion is no more. Baskets have already been pulled or will be pulled soon. When I played it six years ago, the course was mostly done. Sadly, it seems that's the best it ever looked.

Random note: I played this course on the way back to Charlotte after playing Harmon Hills. I feel confident I'm the only person who's ever bagged these two course on the same day.

If your ever in the area again, there is a park opening near the college in McDowell county, I've seen a few people I've known are helping work on the course, going to be called Univeral Park.

If your ever in the area again, there is a park opening near the college in McDowell county, I've seen a few people I've known are helping work on the course, going to be called Univeral Park.

Fantastic! Where is it located? Is this the course that will be hosting the college tournament?

Fantastic! Where is it located? Is this the course that will be hosting the college tournament?

I believe the collegiate tournament is going to be on a golf course or a defunct golf course that is installing 2 permanent 18 hole courses up in the Linville area near Boone/grandfather mountain

With yesterday's review by jeremytf, Diavolo now officially becomes the #1 course in NC on DGCR.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/top_ranked.php

1. Diavolo - 4.55
2. Ashe County - 4.47
3. Rolling Pines - 4.35
4. Hornets Nest - 4.33
5. Nevin - 4.30

Other than Ashe County and now Diavolo, what other courses have held that crown for NC on this site through the years?

And yet the consensus seems to be, "it's good but....."

Forgive my ignorance. I haven't played there, but would like to in the future I think. I'm a couple of hours west of Diavolo and would drive past a lot of courses I know I like to get there. So "but..." what? Too open, too woodsy, too long, too raw....? If you've played Rolling Pines, is it comparable in any way? Thanks much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgive my ignorance. I haven't played there, but would like to in the future I think. I'm a couple of hours west of Diavolo and would drive past a lot of courses I know I like to get there. So "but..." what? Too open, too woodsy, too long, too raw....? If you've played Rolling Pines, is it comparable in any way? Thanks much.

Very comparable. Wide, very well defined fairways. Diavolo doesn't have the elevation change element that RP does but it has a couple of water carries and some artificially elevated greens to compensate. The only real knock on Diavolo is it's immensely popular. If you prefer more technical wooded courses where gap hitting trumps distance you might not enjoy Diavolo as much because you definitely need some good D to score well from the longs.

Very comparable. Wide, very well defined fairways. Diavolo doesn't have the elevation change element that RP does but it has a couple of water carries and some artificially elevated greens to compensate. The only real knock on Diavolo is it's immensely popular. If you prefer more technical wooded courses where gap hitting trumps distance you might not enjoy Diavolo as much because you definitely need some good D to score well from the longs.

Thank you sir. That answers the question well. I'll get over there at some point, but as you said and probably know I prefer a technical woods course with elevation. Rolling Pines is a distant 2nd for me even in Wilkes County. Ft Hamby suits my temperament and game better. [emoji106][emoji41]

Thank you sir. That answers the question well. I'll get over there at some point, but as you said and probably know I prefer a technical woods course with elevation. Rolling Pines is a distant 2nd for me even in Wilkes County. Ft Hamby suits my temperament and game better. [emoji106][emoji41]

The back 9, 10 or whatever it is has some great wooded holes and decent elevation change but it's mostly a piney forest so it isn't that technical.

I need to bring my buddy and brother back up to your course soon, I know he'd enjoy it immensely. :thmbup:

I believe the collegiate tournament is going to be on a golf course or a defunct golf course that is installing 2 permanent 18 hole courses up in the Linville area near Boone/grandfather mountain

I did a walkthrough of the Collegiate course today, and immediately afterward a guy walked in to offer some volunteering help, and he happened to be the guy in charge of getting the other course installed. Very convenient timing.

College Nationals will be held at the old Linville Golf Club. That property was sold to a person who is installing two permanent disc golf courses and has future plans for stuff like wedding venue, music venue, camping, etc. The courses will remain pay-to-play. I don't have any details on prices or memberships or anything. The courses are going to be a lot of fun. Not too many classic "golf course" style holes. Good basket locations, several holes built into some thick woods on the edges. With two courses on site, it'll be a great day-trip.
210 Blue Ridge Dr N, Marion, NC 28752. Courses on the golf holes north of the entrance road.

The public course is being built on the property behind McDowell Tech Comm College. It's in the wood around the lakes. I haven't seen the property and only spent 5 minutes talking to the guy today. 54 College Dr, Marion, NC 28752

It does sound like a great idea, two courses, food and beverage facilities and only about 30 mins off I40. I think its a tourist area also, so that should help. I hope it goes well.

A course at the Comm College looks good too, right at an I40 exit, very easy to get to, especially for those driving through.

Durham's Forest Hills Park has a new temporary 9-hole layout, thanks to Durham Parks and Rec, open to play starting today. There's signage on the course, and a map on uDisc as well. Starts next to the parking lot at University Dr and W Forest Hills Blvd. Looks to be fairly beginner-friendly.

Durham's Forest Hills Park has a new temporary 9-hole layout, thanks to Durham Parks and Rec, open to play starting today. There's signage on the course, and a map on uDisc as well. Starts next to the parking lot at University Dr and W Forest Hills Blvd. Looks to be fairly beginner-friendly.

Thanks dubs, I'm sure you'll get it added on here!

FYI - Owens Park at Bull Creek has gotten some major upgrades.
Brand new permanent DISCatchers on every hole and 2 practice baskets.
Turf tee pads on all three tees on all holes.

Its still a pretty wide open course on a former golf course that requires distance and a little shot shaping, but a fun round to play!

I did a walkthrough of the Collegiate course today, and immediately afterward a guy walked in to offer some volunteering help, and he happened to be the guy in charge of getting the other course installed. Very convenient timing.

College Nationals will be held at the old Linville Golf Club. That property was sold to a person who is installing two permanent disc golf courses and has future plans for stuff like wedding venue, music venue, camping, etc. The courses will remain pay-to-play. I don't have any details on prices or memberships or anything. The courses are going to be a lot of fun. Not too many classic "golf course" style holes. Good basket locations, several holes built into some thick woods on the edges. With two courses on site, it'll be a great day-trip.
210 Blue Ridge Dr N, Marion, NC 28752. Courses on the golf holes north of the entrance road.

The public course is being built on the property behind McDowell Tech Comm College. It's in the wood around the lakes. I haven't seen the property and only spent 5 minutes talking to the guy today. 54 College Dr, Marion, NC 28752

Per their Facebook page, the North Cove Social Club (which hosted College Nationals) will open to the public on May 21. There's some footage of it on Innova's YouTube page. One round $10, day pass $15, annual membership $200. www.thenorthcove.com

The McDowell Tech CC course (called 'Universal Park DGC' on here and on uDisc) appears to be open and playable, though not in 'finished' condition yet.

Highland Hills

...as you said and probably know I prefer a technical woods course with elevation. Rolling Pines is a distant 2nd for me even in Wilkes County. Ft Hamby suits my temperament and game better. [emoji106][emoji41]
Highland Hills is my favorite course in Wilkes County, but it gets so overlooked and doesn't get much love on DGCR or udisc. Hole 1 is a really tough starting hole to get your juices flowing. I haven't played out there since I moved from the High Country in 2018, though. HH has the potential to get shaggy and overgrown if it's not kept up with, so I hope it still gets the attention it deserves.

Rolling Pines is great, and on many holes you feel like you're on a traditional golf course, but I agree with Riverdog, and I don't really understand why it is SO highly rated on DGCR. It's a great course, to be sure, though. Fort Hamby has lots of really good holes too, and is equally as overlooked as HH.

My preferences for Wilkes County would be
1. Highland Hills
2. Rolling Pines
3. Fort Hamby

But really, they are all pretty close in my ratings, so it just decides what you feel like on a particular day. Your Mileage Will Vary

Highland Hills is my favorite course in Wilkes County, but it gets so overlooked and doesn't get much love on DGCR or udisc. Hole 1 is a really tough starting hole to get your juices flowing. I haven't played out there since I moved from the High Country in 2018, though. HH has the potential to get shaggy and overgrown if it's not kept up with, so I hope it still gets the attention it deserves.

Rolling Pines is great, and on many holes you feel like you're on a traditional golf course, but I agree with Riverdog, and I don't really understand why it is SO highly rated on DGCR. It's a great course, to be sure, though. Fort Hamby has lots of really good holes too, and is equally as overlooked as HH.

My preferences for Wilkes County would be
1. Highland Hills
2. Rolling Pines
3. Fort Hamby

But really, they are all pretty close in my ratings, so it just decides what you feel like on a particular day. Your Mileage Will Vary

Yup. I enjoy HH a lot too, but last I heard a couple of months ago there were three or four baskets missing and maintenance was deficient. Not sure what's up.