• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

I collect disc golf information like some people collect trading cards... or discs. I also maintain a list of records at my site DG Resources. (Like all records there are 2 risks: 1) My information may not be complete, 2) the record may have been broken, so I appreciate any corrections.)
https://sites.google.com/site/dgresources2/Home/records

To my knowledge, Horizons has another place in history for the "Most Consecutive Birdies in a Tournament". Can you name the the number of birdies, the player, and the year?
27 deuces at Horizons Park in Winston-Salem, NC by Greg Williams.

I played Armfield today. Overall it was a very good experience. It is a course I would definitely play on a regular basis if it were local. I can't decide whether the short downhill par 3s (7 and 16) were gimmicky or not, but there were certainly fun to play.

I may post something on the wall for the course about navigating the white tees. You can definitely tell that rec level players are not much on the mind of whoever maintains that course. I think I could only find white tee markers on 10 or 12 of the holes. I wasn't expecting that the tee markers would mostly be embedded flush to the ground (where any mowing is done), making them quite difficult to spot, and I had to resort to pacing off the distance from the blues to help me start searching in the right area.

Making it worse is that the first two holes do not seem to have white tee markers at all. That was very confusing at the beginning of the round. As I was wondering whether there just wasn't a rec course anymore. I ended up playing the first 3 holes from the blue tees, and had to resort to pacing off a distance for hole 4, as a 297 foot tunnel shot isn't really in bag at the moment. #5 I finally discovered the first tee markers buried in the grass. By the time I got to some easily findable tee markers on #6, I was quite confuzzled. But it all worked out in the end.

Really some very nice terrain to traverse and some really interesting holes with lots of elevation changes. Weirdest one was #13, a (legitimate!) par 4 that is about 216 feet, but really requires that you throw two shots. My favorite hole might have been 18, just because it was a wide open shot to tight, uphill window. Felt very pro when I crashed the trees just in front of the basket, but ended up with about a 35' uphill semi death putt and just took my par.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and a thoroughly enjoyable time was had.

FYI, Wellspring is closed for maintenance between June 15th and June 30th. Not sure what they're doing. Cedarock alone is worth the trip, but not as noodle arm friendly as Wellspring.
They're putting in new tees is what I hear.
First off, nice necro bump! You're a regular Elon Musk.

Now, not sure of the best way to search this, especially since the State location is N/A in the Member Search. So I started with Members Near Me (Raleigh area), then searched the major cities, Charlotte, Greensboro, Wilmington, Winston-Salem, Asheville, Boone, and a few smaller ones, looking for the Members with the most courses played.

Then, went to their pages, at looked at % Complete of NC courses. Using that method, here is what I came up with:

DiscGolfCraig 139 played 49.8%
DSCJNKY 147 played 52.7%
You (Olorin) 183 played 65.6%

and the highest I found ...

eric_vdberg 197 played in NC 70.6%

There may be others with higher %s Complete in the state, that didn't pop up on my search of large cities, or others who have moved out of state. So, it would be great to hear from anyone else with a higher % complete than 70.6% :D :popcorn:
Sorry, just 125 played, 44.6% for me. I keep leaving the state too much.

They're putting in new tees is what I hear.

Sorry, just 125 played, 44.6% for me. I keep leaving the state too much.

Haha, I just got two more last Friday, to get me to . . . 125 played or 44.6%. :)

Changing direction for this thread -

I know Keeley, Garden Grove and Pleasant Grove are the newest courses in the Triad area, any other new ones open, or on the way?

Here in the Triangle, CADL has been working hard on Diavolo in West Cary, it will open this summer. Its going to be a very good course, open and wooded, an epic pond hole, with great tees, baskets, everything.

Also, a new course has been started at Falls Lake State Park where they've already started taking down some trees.

Any other new courses open in NC or have some on the way?

Haha, I just got two more last Friday, to get me to . . . 125 played or 44.6%. :)

I know Keeley, Garden Grove and Pleasant Grove are the newest courses in the Triad area, any other new ones open, or on the way?

Here in the Triangle, CADL has been working hard on Diavolo in West Cary, it will open this summer. Its going to be a very good course, open and wooded, an epic pond hole, with great tees, baskets, everything.

Also, a new course has been started at Falls Lake State Park where they've already started taking down some trees.

Is Diavolo the West Cary course?

At least one more in the Triangle on the way, I think?

I just learned yesterday, here at DGCR, that the old Crooked Creek ball golf course, which just opened as Hilltop-Needmore Town Park and Reserve, has a planned disc golf course that is being worked on by CADL.

I think it's a definite maybe?

Last edited:
Oh wait , that conversation about Crooked Creek, was with you. LOL, I'm so bad with names, etc.

The Redesign of Cornelius Rd park in Mooresville is almost complete. It's currently playable but still needs signage and tees. Very different from the original course also known as "the bridges."

Par 54 reedy creek, Johnson st. difficulty course.

Eastway park in Charlotte should be returning in the next year or so and RL smith probably the year after.

Badin Inn in Badin N.C.(near Albemarle). should have a course soon as well on part of the old golf course.

I've also heard a course is going in in Farmington NC, near Mocksville, south of Winston.

I've heard rumor of another course in west Gaston county and north Iredell county near Statesville but those could just be rumor.

Last edited:
The Redesign of Cornelius Rd park in Mooresville is almost complete. It's currently playable but still needs signage and tees. Very different from the original course also known as "the bridges."

Eastway park in Charlotte should be returning in the next year or so and RL smith probably the year after.

Badin Inn in Badin N.C.(near Albemarle). should have a course soon as well on part of the old golf course.

I've also heard a course is going in in Farmington NC, near Mocksville, south of Winston.

I've heard rumor of another course in west Gaston county and north Iredell county near Statesville but those could just be rumor.

Farmington NC????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmington NC????

Looks like its just a crossroads, north of Mocksville and I40, SW of Winston.
The good news is, looks like its not too far off I40!

My FIL was born near a place they have always called Town Creek, which was one of those crossroads with a just stop sign, which is near Farmville. I don't think it comes up on any internet searches (or rather, the Town Creeks that come up aren't this one).

Lots of rural to lots of NC.

Yep that's it. It's apparently at the Farmington community center. DSmith is the one spearheading it.

Second on Armfield. It is a beautiful course with a nice mix of open and wooded holes. The short tees are usually just two painted rocks in the grass but aren't too hard to find. Hole 15 will eat a lot of people's lunch on distance, but really open and still fun to play. I rarely throw 250' and I love courses like Armfield. I have never seen another disc golfer there. And I have played it regularly since my daughter lives in Pilot Mt. now.

I will also second Wellspring/Cedarock. I have probably played Wellspring more times than most of my local courses. And Cedarock is one of the few open courses that I really enjoy. Both of these courses will get crowded on the weekends.

FWIW, I love my local course Keeley Park and it kicks my ass. It is the best disc golf course in the Triad by a far margin, IMO. I generally don't keep score, so it turns into a nice walk with a purpose when I am playing poorly. That one is a bit off your route but is close to the new 785 spur. Not a newb course at all, but still a lot of fun for this noodle arm.

Shoals DGC is a short, fun 9-holer not far off of 52. Some of the rough is really rough, though. It was completely unplayable on my last visit but someone has updated the course status and reviewed it recently so it may be an option.

Horizons is a classic, but dated. Not much variety and fairly wide open, but it is the oldest course in NC. Perfect for noodle arms.

If you love amenities, Patriot DGC in Triad Park might be to your liking. Nice tee pads? Check. Bag hangers? Check. Trash cans? Check. Good signage? Check. Easy to navigate? Check. Fun to play? Kinda. This course is a bit wide open for my taste. I usually play a mix of blue and red tees here. Again, I don't keep score or get frustrated when I play poorly. YMMV.

Don't be tempted by Mt. Airy High School course on that route. It is awful. I also can't recommend Barber Park or Springwood Players' Course.

I just played Keely Park last wednesday for the first time and have to agree it is a must play. I don't know who slipped the steroids in my corn flakes that morning but I had an inspired round including birdies on 6,7 & 8. I don't keep score but if I had to guess I was probably -6 or -7 on the first round (from the white tes). Fatigue got to me and my second round was checkered with some proundly terrible shots. I had some good ones but the heat and distance took their toll. I only have 109 NC courses but Keeley instantly made my favorites list.

I did a couple of work days at Diavlo. We may or may not have played a couple of rounds of "target" golf. That is going to be one fun course.

That's good info, Thanks.

Sounds like Albemarle will continue to be a mini-destination.

Forgot to mention the new course in Farmville, very close to Greenville, so another "Down East" course. Played it today, and I'd say a solid 3.5, right out of the gate.
Talked to a local, they bought DiscGolfPark turf tees, signage and baskets, but not their design, so its not labeled as DGP. A lot of open holes, with several others going into and out of the woods.
If anyone hasn't bagged the Greenville courses (4), this makes #5 to get.

Last edited:
I needed to drop something off for my daughter in Greensboro, and bagged two more NC courses today.

Got a round in at Cedarock. Blast from the past for me. I really like that course. Just enough stuff to miss, but you almost always got to watch the full flight of your disc, even though you could get punished (only a tiny bit) for missing a line. Wellspring was unfortunately still under maintenance. I couldn't find the information online for when it was supposed to be closed, but it is supposed to open back up next Friday.

Instead I played Johnson Street DGC in High Point. That was a treat as well. I take it it's regarded as something of an "old" course, but I thought it was incredibly well maintained and very enjoyable to play. My walk up is only two steps, so the short tee pads don't bother me, anyway.

I guess at only 10 courses (all in NC), I've got a long way to go. But I'm making good progress!

I needed to drop something off for my daughter in Greensboro, and bagged two more NC courses today.

Got a round in at Cedarock. Blast from the past for me. I really like that course. Just enough stuff to miss, but you almost always got to watch the full flight of your disc, even though you could get punished (only a tiny bit) for missing a line. Wellspring was unfortunately still under maintenance. I couldn't find the information online for when it was supposed to be closed, but it is supposed to open back up next Friday.

Instead I played Johnson Street DGC in High Point. That was a treat as well. I take it it's regarded as something of an "old" course, but I thought it was incredibly well maintained and very enjoyable to play. My walk up is only two steps, so the short tee pads don't bother me, anyway.

I guess at only 10 courses (all in NC), I've got a long way to go. But I'm making good progress!

Gotta. My friend Gordon Hunt, a lot of you will know him, aced #1 short out of the car at Johnson Street today. A course that has done the most with the least to work with for sure. Shout outs to Super Dave and Tater Sac. [emoji106][emoji41]

Gotta. My friend Gordon Hunt, a lot of you will know him, aced #1 short out of the car at Johnson Street today. A course that has done the most with the least to work with for sure. Shout outs to Super Dave and Tater Sac. [emoji106][emoji41]

Yea, Johnson St is nice because its DG only, you won't have any interference from other park users.

How many discs do you think are buried in the kudzu on #12?

Yea, Johnson St is nice because its DG only, you won't have any interference from other park users.

How many discs do you think are buried in the kudzu on #12?

A minimum of 153![emoji16]

If you like technical courses that really emphasize shot shaping and managing rollaway risk, there's a really fun private course I know of...

Pretty sure the owner would appreciate you bringing an interesting craft brew.
FWIW, he's a really great guy, and playing with him is probably the best part of the experience.