• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

NC Course Ratings- sorted by Rating

I just added another page--

Olorin's NC Course Ratings- sorted by Rating

Make sure to read the DISClamer, though. For example, I haven't had a chance to play High Country or other top level courses yet.

I am so glad I stumbled along this page, I live in NC and have been playing for about 6 months. Although I am fortunate enough to call Fox Chase my home course I will use your list to visit some other higher ranking courses!

Thanks

You're a lucky dog to have Fox Chase as your home course! But it may make it hard when you play other courses because you'll compare them to Fox Chase and most will fall short.

Have you played the Asheboro course? It's pretty good and not too far from you.

You can also read my more detailed review notes of Fox Chase (and all NC courses I've reviewed) at my Yahoo group, DG Course Reviews. (Catchy name, huh? I had it before DGCR, though!)

Haw River S.P.

Has anyone played the new course at Haw River State Park?

Here's the info I have on it:

Brown's Summit

The Summit / Haw River State Park

9 holes

Description: This nine-hole Disc Golf Course challenges beginners and champions. Maps are available at the main lodge.

Directions: From Raleigh / Durham:
Take I-40 West/I-85 South to exit #132 (Mt. Hope Church Rd.) go north for about 12 miles (road becomes McLeansville Rd.) to Hwy 150.Turn left, go thru Brown Summit where Hwy 150 veers right and crosses railroad tracks. Continue on Hwy 150 to Spearman Rd. (about 3 miles past the railroad tracks). Fire Station #33 is on the corner. Turn right on Spearman, go 1.4 miles and turn left on Conference Center Drive. We are at the Lodge towards the end of the drive.

Info: http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/hari/summit_amenities.php

Haven't made it over that far west yet...only played Charlotte area to western NC. This year I'm going to get in the course at Fontana Dam, it's only about 30 mins. or so from my parents, but still have not gotten it in.

I just though I'd bring this one back to life. There are now a couple of people who have played more NC courses than I have, so maybe they will chime in with a few Must Play courses! Of the 279 NC courses listed here I wonder who has the highest percent complete?

Unc is my home course. It's been a fun but challenging course to learn on. I now live closer to rocky ridge in Pittsboro and 30 mins away from buckhorn, so I'll need to branch out.

I just though I'd bring this one back to life. There are now a couple of people who have played more NC courses than I have, so maybe they will chime in with a few Must Play courses! Of the 279 NC courses listed here I wonder who has the highest percent complete?

First off, nice necro bump! You're a regular Elon Musk.

Now, not sure of the best way to search this, especially since the State location is N/A in the Member Search. So I started with Members Near Me (Raleigh area), then searched the major cities, Charlotte, Greensboro, Wilmington, Winston-Salem, Asheville, Boone, and a few smaller ones, looking for the Members with the most courses played.

Then, went to their pages, at looked at % Complete of NC courses. Using that method, here is what I came up with:

DiscGolfCraig 139 played 49.8%
DSCJNKY 147 played 52.7%
You (Olorin) 183 played 65.6%

and the highest I found ...

eric_vdberg 197 played in NC 70.6%

There may be others with higher %s Complete in the state, that didn't pop up on my search of large cities, or others who have moved out of state. So, it would be great to hear from anyone else with a higher % complete than 70.6% :D :popcorn:

Last edited:
First off, nice necro bump! You're a regular Elon Musk.

Now, not sure of the best way to search this, especially since the State location is N/A in the Member Search. So I started with Members Near Me (Raleigh area), then searched the major cities, Charlotte, Greensboro, Wilmington, Winston-Salem, Asheville, Boone, and a few smaller ones, looking for the Members with the most courses played.

Then, went to their pages, at looked at % Complete of NC courses. Using that method, here is what I came up with:

DiscGolfCraig 139 played 49.8%
DSCJNKY 147 played 52.7%
You (Olorin) 183 played 65.6%

and the highest I found ...

eric_vdberg 197 played in NC 70.6%

There may be others with higher %s Complete in the state, that didn't pop up on my search of large cities, or others who have moved out of state. So, it would be great to hear from anyone else with a higher % complete than 70.6% :D :popcorn:

BraveThrower is way up there, much higher total than mine.

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, but, as it is about NC courses, seems worth it.

I'm a noob and relatively noodle armed at the moment. In a couple of weeks I'll be traveling from Durham to (roughly) Laurel Fork, VA, and the route I normally take routes me through Winston-Salem and then up past Mount Airy. I figure I'll take a little extra time and take in a course or two in that area.

The question is, which ones will be most rewarding to play for someone who tops out around 250' right now?

Or, if this isn't right place to ask, is there a better place to throw this question out there?

I'm a noob and relatively noodle armed at the moment. In a couple of weeks I'll be traveling from Durham to (roughly) Laurel Fork, VA, and the route I normally take routes me through Winston-Salem and then up past Mount Airy. I figure I'll take a little extra time and take in a course or two in that area.

The question is, which ones will be most rewarding to play for someone who tops out around 250' right now?
It's different from what you asked, but have you played Cedarock and Wellspring in Burlington? Those are pretty close but a must play combination. You would really like Wellspring from the short tees.

From the courses I have played... Armfield Civic Center in Pilot Mountain has several sets of tees. It would be my top suggestion on that route. But you should play Horizons in Winston-Salem for its historic value and it is shorter.

And if you really wanted to go a different route then Staunton River State Park in Scottsburg VA is a little known gem, out in the middle of nowhere, with some nice holes (and a few glaring flaws)

FYI, Wellspring is closed for maintenance between June 15th and June 30th. Not sure what they're doing. Cedarock alone is worth the trip, but not as noodle arm friendly as Wellspring.

Second on Armfield. It is a beautiful course with a nice mix of open and wooded holes. The short tees are usually just two painted rocks in the grass but aren't too hard to find. Hole 15 will eat a lot of people's lunch on distance, but really open and still fun to play. I rarely throw 250' and I love courses like Armfield. I have never seen another disc golfer there. And I have played it regularly since my daughter lives in Pilot Mt. now.

I will also second Wellspring/Cedarock. I have probably played Wellspring more times than most of my local courses. And Cedarock is one of the few open courses that I really enjoy. Both of these courses will get crowded on the weekends.

FWIW, I love my local course Keeley Park and it kicks my ass. It is the best disc golf course in the Triad by a far margin, IMO. I generally don't keep score, so it turns into a nice walk with a purpose when I am playing poorly. That one is a bit off your route but is close to the new 785 spur. Not a newb course at all, but still a lot of fun for this noodle arm.

Shoals DGC is a short, fun 9-holer not far off of 52. Some of the rough is really rough, though. It was completely unplayable on my last visit but someone has updated the course status and reviewed it recently so it may be an option.

Horizons is a classic, but dated. Not much variety and fairly wide open, but it is the oldest course in NC. Perfect for noodle arms.

If you love amenities, Patriot DGC in Triad Park might be to your liking. Nice tee pads? Check. Bag hangers? Check. Trash cans? Check. Good signage? Check. Easy to navigate? Check. Fun to play? Kinda. This course is a bit wide open for my taste. I usually play a mix of blue and red tees here. Again, I don't keep score or get frustrated when I play poorly. YMMV.

Don't be tempted by Mt. Airy High School course on that route. It is awful. I also can't recommend Barber Park or Springwood Players' Course.

Thanks for all the advice. Some great info.

It's different from what you asked, but have you played Cedarock and Wellspring in Burlington? Those are pretty close but a must play combination. You would really like Wellspring from the short tees.

Interesting (or not) story. I remember seeing the Cedarock course in the mid-80s, which I guess was not very long after it was installed. When I was in Jr. High and High School, the family would sometimes go out there on a weekend morning, make breakfast and go for a walk on the trails. I remember being very intrigued by the idea of disc golf.

As a result this is not really my first go around with the sport, but I never had anything but starter pack discs before, and honestly didn't know what I was doing. I have played Cedarock, probably just once, in the early 2000s. No real clear memories of the course other than I think what must be hole #4? A basket in a field under a lone oak tree a long way away. That and the tee on #1 being right by some signage near the road.

So, Cedarock is definitely on my list of "must play" courses once I start branching out from Cornwallis, Valley Springs and UNC. Those are really the only course I have seriously played, and mostly Cornwallis Rd. As Cedarock just a little more than a half hour away for me, I will definitely make it out there at some point in the near future (although I guess I'll wait for that maintenance to get done, so I can experience that double course goodness).

From the courses I have played... Armfield Civic Center in Pilot Mountain has several sets of tees. It would be my top suggestion on that route. But you should play Horizons in Winston-Salem for its historic value and it is shorter.

I was able to play Horizons on the way up yesterday. I'm a sucker for historic value. I'm planning on playing Armfield on the way back on Sunday and may try one more as well.

I have to say that I'd love it if a course like Horizons was local to me. It was a revelation to be able to throw and not worry so much about what happens if I don't hit my line precisely, with just enough in the way to think about. Amazing that such an open course was mostly in shade, too. Just an absolutely fantastic experience and the course was in as gorgeous a condition as it could be.

I did manage to put a disc on top of the barn roof on 18. Spent a little time hoping I could get it off throwing rocks at it but luckily "Nationwide was on my side" and some decent young fellow, who happened to be an insurance adjuster for Nationwide, was playing right behind me. He then realized he had a ladder and looped back around and grabbed my disc for me. Really actually made the whole thing better. He said he was new to the sport as well.

So wherever you are Nationwide guy, I salute you and wish you well.

And thanks for those here who suggested Horizons. What a great experience.