• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Not your typical lost disc return

I had found a disc at a course near Niagara Falls with the name and phone # of English golfer who had lost it at the 99 open worlds in Rochester. I threw it in a closet and forgot it. A few years later I wanted to play in the British Open and brought the disc with me - all the way across the Atlantic. He was playing that weekend and when I handed him the disc and told him where I had found it, he was like "whatever. I really didn't like that disc anyway." He barely gave me a thank you. Thin gratitude for having a disc returned from more than 3,000 miles away. I would have at least bought someone a beer for the gesture alone. Oh well : P

Maybe if you had not held onto it for YEARS and returned it in the middle of a tourney, you might have gotten a different reaction. :thmbdown:

I have a story to add to this thread. A friend that I play with once found a disc at a course around here (Austin, TX), and when he called the guy lived in California and said something like "Ya, I need that disc, send it to me right away" and gave him his address, but never offered to pay shipping or anything else. I do not understand people who are so self-absorbed. And from what I remember the guy is a pretty well known pro-master, so we can't even blame this on the hipster generation.

Update

My first communication with the owner of the discs friend was a week ago today. The last I heard from him was Saturday saying his buddy would get ahold of me within a day or two.

I do not mind returning the disc, but when do I stop trying to make contact and call it mine?

I call once.
After that, it's your dime.

OTOH, I got a call from a guy who found my prized LE ESP Comet.
I sent him a stamped, self-addressed mailing envelope, and he sent it back to me. I still have it.

Stick it in a closet and forget about it until the friend calls. You can have a free disc that will remind you you kept it or return it and know that in this situation your character was beyond reproach.

That said, if the friend doesn't get back to you for a couple of months, it would be hard to feel too bad about reselling it again.

I have and would pay to ship discs back that have names on them, BUT in this instance the disc didn't even have a name on it.... does he have proof its his?

Since it had no name on it, In My EYEs the disc is now YOURS. if your nice enough to return it make him pay.

Last edited:

Latest posts