• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Notes App Suggestions

EspressoPatronum

2.6K Cubic Zirconia Lifer
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
"Note" sure where to post this, but...

Ever since I got an Apple Watch, I've really enjoyed tracking my caloric burn, miles walked, etc. but one downside is as far as I've been able to tell, the "Notes" app for iPhone can't be used on Apple Watch - so I started looking for alternatives. I have been using Bear, but it's really just ok. For one thing, it has weird bugs and keeps deleting my notes which is VERY frustrating when I used these extensive notes while on the course for writing reviews later. Often I notice it deleted part of what I said but sometimes I don't until a trip is over. Even if I notice, re-dictating to the watch 2-3 times gets frustrating when I'm trying to keep moving.

Additionally, it's just too many button presses to be efficient. I have to press through 4-5 screens to start dictating additional content to an existing note through speech to text. I'm wondering if anybody else is using this setup and has a different app to recommend. Top priorities are not losing my notes and being able to restart dictation on existing notes with 1-2 screen presses if at all possible. It may sound a bit silly but I use this setup a ton to document all of the courses I review so the added tedium of making this app work is starting to wear on me.

"Note" sure where to post this, but...

Ever since I got an Apple Watch, I've really enjoyed tracking my caloric burn, miles walked, etc. but one downside is as far as I've been able to tell, the "Notes" app for iPhone can't be used on Apple Watch - so I started looking for alternatives. I have been using Bear, but it's really just ok. For one thing, it has weird bugs and keeps deleting my notes which is VERY frustrating when I used these extensive notes while on the course for writing reviews later. Often I notice it deleted part of what I said but sometimes I don't until a trip is over. Even if I notice, re-dictating to the watch 2-3 times gets frustrating when I'm trying to keep moving.

Additionally, it's just too many button presses to be efficient. I have to press through 4-5 screens to start dictating additional content to an existing note through speech to text. I'm wondering if anybody else is using this setup and has a different app to recommend. Top priorities are not losing my notes and being able to restart dictation on existing notes with 1-2 screen presses if at all possible. It may sound a bit silly but I use this setup a ton to document all of the courses I review so the added tedium of making this app work is starting to wear on me.
Replying for the updates.

Why not just record your comments/impressions as voice memos and export them for transcription later, or record them on your smartphone?

I use Google Keep myself and it's decent. I don't know if you can get Google Keep on an iPhone though, much less an Apple Watch. 😬

I have a "template" in Google Keep which is just a note that has a bunch of headings ("Baskets", "Teepads", etc.), then each time I arrive at a new-to-me course I duplicate the template note and fill in each heading. Some headers ("Shot Shaping/Mix") usually get full phrases in them. Others ("Kiosk") are more of a yes/no entry.

I use Google Keep myself and it's decent. I don't know if you can get Google Keep on an iPhone though, much less an Apple Watch. 😬

I have a "template" in Google Keep which is just a note that has a bunch of headings ("Baskets", "Teepads", etc.), then each time I arrive at a new-to-me course I duplicate the template note and fill in each heading. Some headers ("Shot Shaping/Mix") usually get full phrases in them. Others ("Kiosk") are more of a yes/no entry.
Thanks! I think you can get it for Apple Watch but I haven't looked at specifics. I have a few apps to try but really need to mess with them on the course to see how they work out.

I probably lost course notes for 4-5 courses out of 24 on this last trip. Not pleased with Bear at all ☹️.

Man that sucks with losing the notes. Google Keep definitely isn't perfect for our purposes, but I don't think I have ever lost data.

The other thing I like about Google Keep that I forgot to mention is that the notes sync to the cloud. So whenever I have internet available on my phone, they sync automatically. Then I can log in on my PC (which is where I write reviews MOST of the time) and all the notes are just there without me having to do anything else.

Latest posts