• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Now that's a pro call-out

can anyone cite a specific incident which indicates the desperate need for refs/umps/marshals?

Yetter open 2011 in pa and the jerk off pro from Texas who no longer leaves Texas does nothing but bitch and complain about trees and how awful the course is. A local female volunteer asked him to stop and he berates her and the course. His card and numerous other cards said this jerk who is on dgcr essentially ruined the round and the tourney with his antics
I think if a pdga official was there at this nt he could've been warned and then disqualified and suspended.
I've heard he has matured or maybe he just stays in Texas and the touring cash pressure isn't consuming him.

Slider, why can't you put all your replies in the same post??? Stop spending so much time complaining about DISC GOLF and go take an English class.

I love disc golf...complaining? I don't see it like that. I really don't try to edit, just type. I am not going to fix my stuff, just post. I am not taking my time with these posts...and that is that.

our pros always say they want more money for the sport so they can make a living off it. If that is the truth, I don't think the quite underling view of dg current culuture isn't doing them any service. They deserve more and we owe it to them to figure this out...unless are doing lip service and want to keep the status quo. I belive that too....but keep the status quo? really? status quo isn't working for them

No, on both accounts.

They only deserve more if more people, a lot more people, want to watch them, and then they deserve it not for their skill, but entertainment value.

We don't owe them anything.

ok...I actually agree and I give in to things that make sense, but I would think that some people would think they would like to see our top pros get paid better so they can buy a house and possibly have a family. we don't owe them anything which make sense, how about do you think they should get paid more so they can live off it?
The real issue here is that it just doesn't work. Professional disc golf is a dead horse; it died in 1983 when Kransco bought out Wham-O and cut off the corporate money Wham-O dumped into Frisbee Sports. We have spent 30 years limping along with each new generation of players thinking we are right on the verge of turning the corner into something big.

We aren't.

There was nothing big around the corner in 1993. There was nothing big around the corner in 2003. There is nothing big around the corner in 2013. We have a fun game that translates into a lousy professional sport. For some reason we keep trying to force disc golf into being something it is not rather than capitalizing on what it is. At some point, somebody needs to have the guts to say enough is enough.

We may like our top players and wish things were different, but the best advice we can give them is get a job. The dream they are chasing is a lie.

You can call me a pessimist and say I'm closed-minded, but I've heard this same conversation over and over and over for 20 years now. Nothing ever changes. We are no closer to having the sponsorship and/or spectators needed for a sustainable professional sport today than we were then. No amount of boy scout-like behavior from the players and endless Marshall's roaming the courses calling foot faults will change that.

In the end I consider professional disc golf like I do rocket-powered shoes. I'd love rocket-powered shoes. I wish I had rocket-powered shoes. The fact is that no matter how much time, energy and resources I might pour into the idea, rocket-powered shoes are never going to work.

We need to stop throwing our time, energy and resources at rocket-powered shoes.

The real issue here is that it just doesn't work. Professional disc golf is a dead horse; it died in 1983 when Kransco bought out Wham-O and cut off the corporate money Wham-O dumped into Frisbee Sports. We have spent 30 years limping along with each new generation of players thinking we are right on the verge of turning the corner into something big.

We aren't.

There was nothing big around the corner in 1993. There was nothing big around the corner in 2003. There is nothing big around the corner in 2013. We have a fun game that translates into a lousy professional sport. For some reason we keep trying to force disc golf into being something it is not rather than capitalizing on what it is. At some point, somebody needs to have the guts to say enough is enough.

We may like our top players and wish things were different, but the best advice we can give them is get a job. The dream they are chasing is a lie.

You can call me a pessimist and say I'm closed-minded, but I've heard this same conversation over and over and over for 20 years now. Nothing ever changes. We are no closer to having the sponsorship and/or spectators needed for a sustainable professional sport today than we were then. No amount of boy scout-like behavior from the players and endless Marshall's roaming the courses calling foot faults will change that.

In the end I consider professional disc golf like I do rocket-powered shoes. I'd love rocket-powered shoes. I wish I had rocket-powered shoes. The fact is that no matter how much time, energy and resources I might pour into the idea, rocket-powered shoes are never going to work.

We need to stop throwing our time, energy and resources at rocket-powered shoes.

Like I said my suggestion is cancel the tour and a lot of this nonsense goes away

ok...I actually agree and I give in to things that make sense, but I would think that some people would think they would like to see our top pros get paid better so they can buy a house and possibly have a family. we don't owe them anything which make sense, how about do you think they should get paid more so they can live off it?

The problem is that people don't just make money because they're good at something, they make money because their skills are in demand. There's nowhere near the demand for disc golf professionals for them to expect to make more than they do now. I could be the world's best sunflower seed spitter, do you think I deserve a bunch of money for that even though nobody cares? Who's going to pay me? How is disc golf any different when even the people who play the sport won't pay to watch the sport?

The internet gives many a sense of being bigger and more important than they are

Like I said earlier

The world laughs at us

The internet gives many a sense of being bigger and more important than they are

Like I said earlier

The world laughs at us
They aren't laughing at us. If they were laughing at us, that would give us an angle. They are not laughing becasue they have no idea we are here.

our pros always say they want more money for the sport so they can make a living off it. If that is the truth, I don't think the quite underling view of dg current culuture isn't doing them any service.
Many of those very same pros also partake in that culture, and often without apology.

They deserve more and we owe it to them to figure this out...
Why you athlete worshipers on here keep touting such insipid crap, I'll never know. Aside from some mild entertainment value, pro athletes have little use value to society. They don't teach schoolkids algebra. They don't keep your streets safe from thugs. They don't sift though disaster rubble for survivors. They don't put out your fires. They don't fight your wars. They throw, kick or dribble a ball or some related artifact around. Whatever power they have is only there because you've bequeathed it to them.

Paul McBeth, Tiger Woods, Peyton Manning and Alex Rodriguez all are arguably amongst the best at their particular sport. They have something in common. The market determines how much money each of them makes for a living. None of them make whatever they do because "they deserved it".

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
http://instantrimshot.com/

I, for one, do NOT want rocket-powered shoes. I'd be dead in a week :|

Probably from some Wile E. Coyote inspired stunt.

Why you athlete worshipers on here keep touting such insipid crap, I'll never know. Aside from some mild entertainment value, pro athletes have little use value to society. They don't teach schoolkids algebra. They don't keep your streets safe from thugs. They don't sift though disaster rubble for survivors. They don't put out your fires. They don't fight your wars. They throw, kick or dribble a ball or some related artifact around. Whatever power they have is only there because you've bequeathed it to them.

Paul McBeth, Tiger Woods, Peyton Manning and Alex Rodriguez all are arguably amongst the best at their particular sport. They have something in common. The market determines how much money each of them makes for a living. None of them make whatever they do because "they deserved it".

You sir, hit the nail on the head. :hfive:

You can call me a pessimist and say I'm closed-minded, but I've heard this same conversation over and over and over for 20 years now. Nothing ever changes.

The only thing I'll say is you've given up. As long as you don't get in our way or minimize our efforts then we who strive don't have a problem with you who are content with the status quo.

Now, to be fair, I didn't read what you're responding to, so I don't know if I agree with the other poster or not...it's just a general philosophy. I disagree with you and think you're wrong (and I have facts to prove it, just ones I can't divulge due to business interests), however talk is cheap. Feel free to relax and let us progressive thinkers take it from here ;)

Aside from some mild entertainment value, pro athletes have little use value to society. They don't teach schoolkids algebra. They don't keep your streets safe from thugs. They don't sift though disaster rubble for survivors. They don't put out your fires. They don't fight your wars. They throw, kick or dribble a ball or some related artifact around. Whatever power they have is only there because you've bequeathed it to them.

You sound like a kid who got cut from a middle school team. First of all, you're historically incorrect...so while you're soapboxing algebra make sure you yourself get some history lessons in there.

Second of all, the triumph of the human spirit is and always will be a resounding narrative throughout time and cultural changes. If you can't understand this concept you're either truly dense or intentionally uninformed. To be at the top of a field, no matter what, is a valued trait and each profession inspires another to greater achievements.

The crux of your argument (a tired one) relies on the realistically false assumption that there are objectively selfish and objectively noble causes...as if no teacher was ever caught cheating for/with their students on standardized tests to make sure they keep their jobs...or as if no athletes have ever served our country in the military, or donated large portions of money that they would have otherwise been unable to accrue to charities or underprivileged communities (just for example). You judge the person by their employment, which is a hypocritical rubric employed extensively by the baby boomer generation. The sum of a human life is not their employment, it is their actions and their legacy.

If you're going to bash on people for being inspired by others who are at the pinnacle of achievement through tireless effort and dedication to their craft, you need to find much, much more intelligent arguments.

Sorry for soapboxing myself, but athlete bashing using ignorant logic gets me fired up.

You seem to underestimate the value of entertainement in nowadays society. By a lot.

Wonder why some of the best payed people on earth are sport pros or musicians or actors ?

You can't just value productive things. All work and no play makes Jack mad. Watch Shinig :) Anyway, you seem to be one of the guys that knows the value of things, but not their worth.

And of course whoever is in the spotlight deserves to be there. It's a job like any other. As long as people buy it, it's worth selling. And those that rise to the top deserve the fame, no matter if you personally think the field is interesting or not.

The only thing I'll say is you've given up. As long as you don't get in our way or minimize our efforts then we who strive don't have a problem with you who are content with the status quo.

It's not about giving up, it's about being realistic.

Wouldn't it be funny if we paid our top players what they're really worth? That is, a large share of tickets sales and media rights fees? Instead of scrounging up money to give to them because they're, well, them.

Actually, the choice between just giving our top players a lot of money because we think they should have it, and simply maintaining the status quo, is a false choice. There are other options. I'm in favor of grassroots growth---youth leagues, colleges, lots more recreational players---which may generate the kind of fan base that will interest sponsors one day. I want disc golf to grow at all levels, including the top.

I don't know that I want DG to get any bigger. I'm already having enough problems sorting through all the different discs out there. It's hindering my game...knock it off already.

I agree that more sponsorship money is required for touring pros to make at least enough to stay on the tour. The player base cannot be the source of income. A small supplement perhaps, but not the major source.

That said, if the cultural shift required to attract large sponsors ends up alienating the major player base away from the sport then the sport fails. Its a little bit of a "Be careful what you wish for" sort of scenario.

Obviously some people really want to change the DG culture and see the sport explode into mainstream awareness and interest. Others are content to not have that occur.

Personally I play because I love playing, and I certainly don't feel the sport is hampered by the lack of major sponsorship. I don't play on the tour. Most of my tournaments are local. That's just me though.

Yetter open 2011 in pa and the jerk off pro from Texas who no longer leaves Texas does nothing but bitch and complain about trees and how awful the course is. A local female volunteer asked him to stop and he berates her and the course. His card and numerous other cards said this jerk who is on dgcr essentially ruined the round and the tourney with his antics
I think if a pdga official was there at this nt he could've been warned and then disqualified and suspended.

He could have been warned by ANY player or non-playing official who was present, and ANY player could have reported his antics to the TD, who, per the Rule Book and the Competition Manual is the ONLY person who has the authority to have disqualify a player. And ANY player can petition the PDGA to discipline another player. No "pdga official" (whatever the heck THAT means) involvement necessary.

Sounds like a whole bunch of someones need grow a pair and enforce the rules instead of looking around for mommy to do it for you ... which is pretty much what Barsby's FB rant is hinting at.

Latest posts