• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Observations from Ken Climo/ Barry Schultz 5/5/2011 putting clinic

slowRoll

Banned
Observations from Ken Climo/ Barry Schultz 5/5/2011 putting clinic

Just some quick points from yesterday's putting clinic that I want to go over here that could help us all develop as we continue to work on our games. A special thank you goes out to Cloud9 disc golf for hosting this clinic for us all completely free of charge!!! You guys are the best!

1.) Being Athletic
Being in an athletic position at all times, especially during the release of your putt was covered. On hills this will often force us to go to a straddle stance. KC said that on any type of hill, you want to get both your feet as close to being level as possible.

2.) Repetition
The most obvious one, but I'll go over it anyway because of its importance. If you want to improve, you need to work at it. Contrary to what some others may tell you; KC and Barry say that you should be putting 30 minutes a day if you want to improve. I wish you all could have been there to see this. Barry started talking and asked Ken to putt until he was told to stop. KC was 25' out and had 5 putters in hand. In the matter of just a few minutes, I watched him make 90+ out of 100 putts from 25'! It was a calm day, but he is in such good shape, he didn't get tired or winded in the slightest. Go try putting 100 times from 25' and tell me if you can get close to those numbers…I know I can't. Amazing!

3.) Slow to Fast
This one was really cool and new to me. KC talked about our tempo of putting. He said that most guys are real slow and calm as they take their practice pumps, then they go real fast when they actually putt. Don't do this! Instead maintain the same rhythm on your warm ups as you do with your actual putting motion. The key point that jumped out at me was on the actual putt. He said as you swing the arm back that you are drawing the line of the putt. He said that if you want to draw anything well, that you do not go fast…aka… slow down on the backstroke of your putt (swinging it in to your body before you explode out athletically and release the disc).

4.) Targeting
This one I've heard many times before. Do not stare at the basket as a whole, instead pick a link, or a chip of paint on the pole and aim at it. Aim big, miss big…. Aim small, miss small. FYI Climo primarily aims at the pole, Barry picks links. Good stuff.

5.) Trick Shots
This is what Barry said about all the weird trick shots. Turbo putts, low to high lob putts, sidearm putts, etc. He said to spend time working on all this stuff as we are able. You never know when you will be in a situation where that weird trick shot will save you the 1 stroke that wins you the tournament.

They spent an hour and a half with us and when they finished up the clinic they even spent 1 on 1 time with those of us that had questions. I was this close to getting a formal interview with KC but considering he has just spent a good 10 MINUTES WORKING JUST ME on using my hips properly to generate power, I didn't want to monopolize the guy any more. I told him how I had been stuck at a 950 rating but am still trying to break through. I told him how frustrated I was getting at watching everyone bomb past me on the teebox, but how my short game always kept me in it He worked with just me, correcting, making suggestions and gave me some easy things to work on in the field. I'm pretty sure Michael Jordan isn't ever going to teach me how to shoot free throws, much less do it with a smile on his face for free. The champ took time for me! Freaking awesome…

Thank you so much to Barry Schultz and Ken Climo! You guys love the game and are just some awesome regular people to be around. And thanks again to Cloud9 for making yesterday's clinic happen.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great tips there. That is pretty sweet you got to get a lesson from them. Like you said, not to many pros of other sports are willing to do this. Let alone for free!!! Big ups to them for helping others out for the love of the sport!

Sounds like it was an awesome and informative time.

jealoussssss

Stop bragging you old fart! It is kind of hard to putt with your walker in the way.

Thank you for posting this! :thmbup:

I have been really struggling with uphill and downhill putts, and BAM! There it is in the first paragraph. Definitely will have to try that out today/tomorrow.

this is all stuff from the old advice columns and books by the Stork (Dan Roddick). great advice that i still regurgitate all the time.

One thing i do not see on there that is the BEST putting advice i have ever seen (from the Stork). REACH FOR THE BASKET!!!!! on every putt. this stops short arming and up swing putts.

A few weeks ago, the weekend between the Atlanta Open and the Hall of Fame Classic, Barry Schultz came to my neck of the woods and played in our one day c-tier Seneca Spring Open.

I wasn't playing and was volunteering. The second round I walked with the lead group when they got to #9. Schultz and two local pros. The round started with Barry and local David Cunningham tied at 46 and Luke Reiser one back at 47.

The course record, by the way, was 45.

The second round (I missed this part) started with Barry freely basing #1 for a drop in deuce. DC steps up and throws a hole-in-one. Now Barry is down to the local by one stroke.

When I started walking with them on #9, they were tied. It was a battle back and forth. Barry ended up throwing a course record of 43. The local pro, David Cunningham, was able to beat him by shooting a another course record of 42. Barry putted out first so he owned the record for all of :30 seconds.

Anyway....Barry was very gracious before the tournament, during the tournament and after the tournament. He even suggested we change the par on one hole from a 3 to a 4 due to the difficult nature of the hole. He took time to explain how par should work on shorter holes with a difficult fairway...really cool.

Class act all the way.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this! :thmbup:

I have been really struggling with uphill and downhill putts, and BAM! There it is in the first paragraph. Definitely will have to try that out today/tomorrow.

You're quite welcome. Glad you enjoyed it.