• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
Atta boy!! Luddite to the end!!!

This is about having fun!! I get competitive pressure all the time but I know I'm not putting the time in. I'm in for fun! I really don't care anymore, I always respected the guys with no chance of winning that always ponied up.

I'm wildcard now!!!

Screw your rangefinder and zuca mega shopping mall cart. Give me a bag an some beer

Last edited:
Masters golf is throwing to the shade or so I was told.
Absolutely. We (son & I) play year round so six months a year we throw to shade and six months a year to the sun.

Corollary to that . . . pdga's 30 second rule . . . nope, masters golf rule for summer is if we're standing in the hot sun you have ten seconds to throw, if we're standing in the cool shade you can take two minutes for all I care.

I carried my 1997 cube bag around until my 25th wedding anniversary a couple of years ago. Wife said she wanted a nice piece of jewelry. I said I wanted the best Ridge Roller I could get. No regrets! I carry a silly amount of Discs. If there's a crazy shot I only employ once every five rounds, I have room for that weird Disc now. I can sit down on the cart too. It's fabulous.

No need for a range finder for me. If you like them, cool.

By the numbers, you geezers have the most disposable income. Do you own a disc golf rangefinder? Do you find real value in it?

Given how many "lost my rangefinder on hole 2" posts on social media I've seen in the last 6 months alone and my propensity to lose anything not nailed down to my cart, I'm going to pass for now. It's one thing to leave your beer on the picnic table of hole 6 or your favorite buzzz on hole 8, but another to have a 150 dollar gadget fall by the wayside.

It's enough work securing my phone from my absent mindedness, I don't need to add another gadget to that list.

Last edited:
Hey now, no picking on the carts. Do you know how much moar beer you can carry in a cart vs your bag? Save your energy and wheel those cold ones around. #VeteranMove:D

Fair enough, honestly anything with a seat on it would be appealing. Like those full frame backpacks you can sit on.

I carried my 1997 cube bag around until my 25th wedding anniversary a couple of years ago. Wife said she wanted a nice piece of jewelry. I said I wanted the best Ridge Roller I could get. No regrets! I carry a silly amount of Discs. If there's a crazy shot I only employ once every five rounds, I have room for that weird Disc now. I can sit down on the cart too. It's fabulous.

No need for a range finder for me. If you like them, cool.

Nice. My first bag was a Wall City Cube.

Nice. My first bag was a Wall City Cube.

Mine was a grocery store plastic bag. :rolleyes:

First real bag was a Fade Crunch Box. Still have it, with a couple-three discs for those rare instances when spousal unit wants to toss plastic.

my first real bag was a Discraft Weekender from the Ace Race. rocked that for years, but finally bought a small Fade (I think?) for the bigger pocket(s) a few years ago. holds more than the 10 discs I now carry. use the room for extra water for the dog, and such.
not real big into the tournaments. rather give the money directly to the people doing the work in the area.

Mine was a grocery store plastic bag. :rolleyes:

First real bag was a Fade Crunch Box. Still have it, with a couple-three discs for those rare instances when spousal unit wants to toss plastic.

For me it was:
Plastic bag - got sick of my discs picking up condensation from drinks and upgraded to...
Ching cooler bag - got sick of it falling over on any surface not perfectly level...
Lightning large bag - after a few years, decided I didn't want to carry 20 discs...
Fade Crunch box - this was perfect for me until I had kids...
Lightning large bag - strapped to handle of jogging stroller, held my discs and my wife's...
Academy backpack - once kids grew out of the jogging stroller this was used to carry the family's discs...

Now my 9 year old wants to carry his own bag so he's using the Fade. Trying to convince him that the backpack looks cooler so he will carry for all.

Regarding the rangefinder question, I love mine. For me, I rarely use it off the tee or for checking max distance. It's very useful for 2 reasons specific to my game. 1.) my forehand max D is 275'. If I measure anything beyond this, I'll switch to backhand flip/turnover. 2.) 175' distance. Gator/A4/Roc upshot if under this, eagle/leopard/firebird if over.

So after many years and really knowing my game at this point, these 2 scenarios make the rangefinder a blessed accessory. I'm sure not many folks are pulling this out at 175' but it's been great to have and gives me more confidence on shots.

And does the Bushnell battery ever die?! I've had mine for 1.5 yrs and use it often (300+ rounds). Still over 50%!

I use my rangefinder as much for elevation as for distance. When I use mine, I'll share the distance with the card as a courtesy. After all, they did have to wait and watch me use it.

Read today they are taking out the tiny elevated tees at the local course—the one that tends to be dry and playable when the others are a mud bog. Super chuffed as I was pretty certain I was going to break a couple of ribs and collapse a lung trying to throw off one of those damned things. Jun 1 reopen date.

Read today they are taking out the tiny elevated tees at the local course—the one that tends to be dry and playable when the others are a mud bog. Super chuffed as I was pretty certain I was going to break a couple of ribs and collapse a lung trying to throw off one of those damned things. Jun 1 reopen date.

I tend to step off the front of the pads when I follow through. There are a couple of mountain courses where I have to be super careful I don't launch myself off a cliff on my follow through.

I guess I'm happy they are removing your elevated tees. Less likely to kill myself stepping off the front if I ever play there.

Me ordering my Mahal

Hey now, no picking on the carts. Do you know how much moar beer you can carry in a cart vs your bag? Save your energy and wheel those cold ones around. #VeteranMove:D

When I bought my Mystery Ranch Golf Mahal years ago a big reason I chose it was it's ability to carry insulated growlers in the expandable pockets.

I started with one of those Innova shoulder bags that carry about 6 discs. Then bought more discs, so figured the massive Innova Superhero 2 backpack would be better, and crammed it with 30 or so discs. Then my worn out 62 year old body had a different idea about lugging it around, and I bought an MVP Rover cart to make life easier (plus it's the only cart I found that fits that bag). Ironically, after paring everything down to the discs that work for me across all the courses I play, this season it now holds 15 discs and a bunch of creature comforts. 13 if I decide to remove the Thunderbird, and also make a decision between keeping the Undertaker or the Valk.

I started with with a 3/5 disc mini messenger kids backpack kinda thing. It was great and free until it wore out. Moved up to innova 8 disc(ish) used that until I decided it didn't carry enough discs (some kid has it now) so I moved up to an innova tourney bag and phenix quad straps (still got it don't use it). I packed way too many discs I didn't need.

Enter the double nutsac, great bag! 10yrs on it, pretty faded but no holes or damage.. Love compacting it down and playing 6 discs, (or 6 disc and 6 beer haha). Did a few bag mods always wished it could hold a bigger drink (or two). Grabbed a double nutsac 2.0 for the bigger pocket and outer putter pocket, I wished it had the small outside pocket still for change and keys, or a back pocket.

My lovely wife forgot I bought a new double nutsac and she looked at em for my birthday but went with the rogue iron one because it was cheaper. Glad she did, it has so many pockets including a zippered back one and huge drink holder plus a second pouch that can hold a can on the other side. Real happy with that. Now I just have to remember 6/7 discs is plenty haha.

My innova tourney bag sits in my office each of the 3 slots is full of envy/relays/waves for fieldwork.

I play better with a small light bag, usually 2 putters/ 2 mids/ 3 drivers but a cart with a seat sounds nice.. Well the seat sounds nice :D

I started with a 10-disc shoulder bag, and upgraded about 20 years ago to a larger Innova competition bag -- mainly to carry enough water/gatorade for summer tournaments. The only time the disc capacity was a problem was on courses with lots of disc-stealing water holes, when I needed room for spares to get through tournament rounds.

That bag finally wore out last year, and I upgraded to a backpack. It's an uninteresting story, except my trying to explain to the young guy selling a like-new backpack that, in its day, my competition bag was state-of-the-art, particularly with its accessory backpack-style straps.

One badge in the Old Farts club is owning something from the Cool New stage right on through to the Antigue stage.