• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One of THOSE Days -- OR -- Fate is a Real Beyotch

On my bad days I quit keeping score (not working on handicap) and work to improve on something. Sometimes that means throwing several discs on each hole. Even though the course is heavily wooded the trees are not my worst enemy. Usually it goes back to form (what they said ^) and I start throwing with too much arm speed too early and forget my snap. After I slow everything down and get the pull and snap working correctly the disk flies like it's supposed to. I had the same problem in regular golf most of my life (trying to swing too hard).

On days like this I usually try to slow down my game and focus. Throw a few holes at 80-85%, SMOOTH IS FAR.............

When a round starts to get away from me, my buddies and I have coined a phrase we call "redemption peanuts." It started when I had a bad shot, my friend gave me a handful of peanuts and voila, my next shot was a beauty. Think "MJ's Secret Stuff" from Space Jam. Anytime we have a bad shot now we just grab a handful of peanuts or trailmix to take our minds off of it.

If it's the kind of awful day you described, then I can usually find some small piece of my game that still is working; putting, upshots, escape shots, anything to focus on some positive shooting and still have fun.

If I did this I would weigh 400 lbs...:eek:

When nothing is clicking I usually stop keeping score and drift toward disc/throw experimentation, looking for thumber/tommy lines I've never tried or taking a big anny route when I normally would hyzer, etc. This only works for casual rounds, but the first tourney I ever played in started out like you describe. I was spraying drives all over so I disced down for a few holes just trying to get myself centered, and this worked for me. I have employed the same technique a few other times since and have had similar results.

Redemption peanuts will surely work as well :)

Well, I have to get up and go to work each day. Spend 8-10 hours toiling away at something that, while I enjoy, is not outside, nor anywhere near as fun as disc golf. Perhaps you should simply be thankful for the opportunity to get outside and play. The chance to breath fresh air, interact with the wonder of the flora and fauna, investigate the subtle nuances that nature providers around every corner and cherish the opportunity to spend time with people of your choice. Wait....what was your question?

Bad day of disc golf is better than...........well, almost anything. :doh::doh:

:thmbup:

There has been days when I had to check my disc over carefully to see if "Skill" was stamped on them somewhere.

Some days I think I have struck more trees than Paul Bunyan.

There have been a few occasions when I would bet my paycheck that plastic really is magnetically attracted to wood.

There is a scrappy little nine holer in Salisbury where hole #8 is essentially out in a wide open field sans for one lone telephone poll approximately 150' from the tee pad, about halfway between the tee pad and the target. Mind you there is at least 200' of wide open space to either side of this pole... I once nailed it dead center.

Played 33 holes at my home course today to prepare for the monthly tournament this Saturday. Dropped the kids off at school and met up with NEWADDICTION to play a round. Played nine in the rain and wasn't feeling it. Mostly because I was the Brawny Man: hitting every goddam tree on the course. Frustrating.

So I left and we re-convened plus one at 1300. I'd hoped my bad luck would've receded with the rain. It didn't. Seems if there was a tree anywhere in view of my lie I was destined to hit it. Wasn't until the back that Lady Luck finally decided to pull out, spooge on my back, and call it a day. My back feels sticky. Thanks, Castle.

I'd thought about asking if y'all have ever had days like that, but it seems ridiculous. If you haven't had a day when your discs seem to get off on face-planting into tree bark you're a liar. The only real separation is periodicity. Today was my day.

What do you tell yourself to shake off The Ridiculousness? What's been helpful? I've got 99 problems and a birdie ain't one.

If it's one of those kinda days (I've had my fair share), I aim FOR the trees...because I know then that I'll miss. :| :| :\ :( :doh:

If I'm having a bad day I use it as an opportunity to work on my mental game. If I am frustrated, if I want to quit, I take a deep breath, center myself, find a reason to laugh and keep playing.

If it's one of those kinda days (I've had my fair share), I aim FOR the trees...because I know then that I'll miss. :| :| :\ :( :doh:

Lol if there is one small tree in my route I always just aim for it to make sure Iddon't hit it..lol