• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Open hole phobia

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I don't know why but on open courses my drives turn to crap. I am so much better on wooded courses where the trees force my brain into picking a line and executing. Anybody else have this problem? It's like my brain thinks, "There's no way I could F this throw up," and then my drive ends up spraying all over the place. I need my practice field to dry out. :mad:

Not here. I like it because you can throw far and have no worries

Oh sh!t, I'm not crazy- or I am, just you are too.
There are a few holes at Hudson mills with next to nothin for obsticles. It's like I don't know what to do! Funny that you posted this cause latly I've been using a neb to drop a hyzer. That's my advice- hyzers on open holes, less room for error

I am the opposite. I like a two or three wide open holes at a course so I can really let one go without worrying about hitting something.

I run into the same problem sometimes, usually just because I try to put too much into them since I get in the mindset I can bomb it with nothing around. My suggestion is just keep it slow and steady just like you would on a tighter fairway.

Happens to me sometimes. On a tight fairway, I'm probably being more particular in where I am aiming, which, of course, means I really get set to make the shot. On the open holes, it's easier to not be as prepared, plus, there is the tendancy to throw it harder, especially if it is long enough to require a second shot to the basket.

I know what you mean. There are times I can't make my mind up on what line to take and I never make a conscious decision before I throw.

Open, with lots of foot traffic freaks me out. Mountain Crest Park in Las Vegas is this way. No trouble around, but the people walking their dog. So trippin, about hitting someone with a disc, that the disc almost always heads in their direction! Mental midget for sure!!:doh:

I don't know about phobia, but I sure don't like courses with a bunch of super open holes. Boring. No shade.

I used to shank open drives all the time, but ever since I tweaked my form I haven't had the same problems. I think it was also partially mental. I thought to myself, "If you can make a long tight shot, then you should have no problem with an open one". Haven't had the same problems since.

Try throwing lines that aren't straight for shots like that. Try throwing hyzers and disc up if you have to.

I think a problem people have sometimes is that they aren't trying to shape a shot for open holes. They figure they can just throw without having to worry about it. So rather than trying to control the disc they'll just let the disc fly. Surprisingly enough, not trying to control the disc means you'll pobably have less control. IIRC, Dan Beato complained about this a while ago. He could hit most any line when asked, but when he got to an open hole he was all over the place.

Try throwing lines that aren't straight for shots like that. Try throwing hyzers and disc up if you have to.

I think a problem people have sometimes is that they aren't trying to shape a shot for open holes. They figure they can just throw without having to worry about it. So rather than trying to control the disc they'll just let the disc fly. Surprisingly enough, not trying to control the disc means you'll pobably have less control. IIRC, Dan Beato complained about this a while ago. He could hit most any line when asked, but when he got to an open hole he was all over the place.

^^ thats what I do. I never throw straight at a basket if its a wide open field. Hyzer, sidearm or thumber for all my wide open approaches. Only time I throw straight is if we get out to 380' or longer as I hyzer-flip straight at it then.

I had this problem, and still have it when I forget to do my eye setting. What I mean by that is, I dont stare down the basket; I pick a line I want to take and stare at the ground about half way from me on where the line would go.

Just be carefull to look far enough out that you dont do a worm burner.

i have never liked putting on wide open holes- lack of perspective screws with me royally.

I agree, putts or approaches to wide open pins are way harder than they should be. #1 on the Sunnyside/Grange, #2 at Newport News and #11 at Patapsco come to mind.

I first experienced this when playing Redhawk for the first time.

For me, I think it's just a mental thing because finding an aiming point is a little more difficult than on a hole with woods. A lot of my drive accuracy comes from finding an aiming point, picturing how it will get there, and then making it happen. Without an easy reference for aiming, I have a little bit of trouble throwing good drives.

Here at home we have our only course, a 9 hole, all wide open. If theres a tree 50' off the fairway I feel like I need to change my shot. I really need a new course to work on the mental game.

Latest posts