• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Out of the game for 10 years- I need an adult!!

Yeah keep throwing what you have unless you can sell it for big money, they are all what are being cloned anyways. As for what has gotten popular:

-speed 12+ easier to throw drivers...as in less overstability. If you have beat in/old Destroyers you are set, this is the gold standard to me. But when you need to add new ones to the bag then some molds like the Shryke/Tern/etc. are out there for pretty neutral discs out of the box, compared to some Destroyers that are very OS.

-speed 9 "control drivers" are really popular. I prefer the speed 7 stuff like Teebird/TL that you have going on. But the Thunderbird is pretty popular as something that gives you a bit more wind security than a Teebird, isn't much harder to throw, and doesn't have the fade or touchiness of a Destroyer

-driving and approach tweener putters. The Harp and Zone are very popular as overstable approach discs, especially by those who throw FH upshots. The Envy is another great low profile driving putter that encroaches on midrange distances, if you get the urge to try out the MVP gyro type stuff then this is a good place to start. Really though if you are confident throwing a Wizard and you don't throw FH trick shots much then you are fine.

Commercial Backpacks and Carts are a thing now.

This is a great point. Backpacks allow you to carry a lot more discs, snacks, etc. more easily, especially for tournament play. And carts do the same thing only they can double as a seat and are a lot easier on your back (assuming the course isn't too up and down and doesn't have a lot of low scrub to wade through).

I haven't really played in 10 years but as my 10 year old is now getting into the game I am looking to update my antiquated discs. Here is what I previously used:

Destroyers
TL
T-bird
Leopard
Buzz
Soft Wizard

Have there been any significant upgrades that would kick these discs out of the bag? Thanks!

- I also posted some old discs in the 'is this worth anything' thread if anyone wants to crush my dreams.

What everyone else said about $$$ value is true, but the molds you've listed are very good.

The only thing I'd suggest to look at is that the TL, Teebird, and Leopard all have "3" versions (TL3, Teebird3, Leopard3) with flat tops that you may or may not like gripping and throwing better.

And Discmania has the FD, a disc similar to the TL and Leopard, which some like more than the TL/Leopard. All are good discs.

Those are all great, but at this age you could be risking cracks.

Maybe try a Harp, or some of the cool stuff RDG and MVP have done.

-driving and approach tweener putters. The Harp and Zone are very popular as overstable approach discs, especially by those who throw FH upshots. The Envy is another great low profile driving putter that encroaches on midrange distances, if you get the urge to try out the MVP gyro type stuff then this is a good place to start. Really though if you are confident throwing a Wizard and you don't throw FH trick shots much then you are fine.

The Envy is a truly different beast. It has the high speed stabilty approaching a Destoryer with less low speed stability than the Wizard.

The Nova is as close to a shorter Comet that can be gotten in a putter...good for upshots.

I will just double down on what SlowPlastic said about the Haro and Zone.

The Envy is a truly different beast. It has the high speed stabilty approaching a Destoryer with less low speed stability than the Wizard.

The Nova is as close to a shorter Comet that can be gotten in a putter...good for upshots.

I will just double down on what SlowPlastic said about the Haro and Zone.

Yeah, I typically throw putters ~280' with great rips 300'. Tried an Envy again this week and it held a pure hyzer 300', wasn't even trying to throw it crazy far either. Unbelievable disc, has HSS like a firm Teebird, fade like a Wizard, distance near a midrange, but small diameter like a putter so you can throw it for approaches without it getting floaty.

That sounds nearly ideal. Very few things I'd recommend except trying everything for fun. And of course all of legacy

The only thing you may want to try is a speed 12+ understable driver. They're not always the most practical disc, but they sure are fun to throw and can get some crazy distance without too much effort. There's a lot of discs out there like this nowadays, but my favorite in this category is the Vibram unLace at max weight. I usually throw drivers around 168 grams, but found it too unpredictable at that weight (too flippy).

I agree with slowplastic and skurf above. You might give a Tern/Shryke a chance for high speed "easy" distance. The Zone/Harp (kinda in the same family as a Rhyno, but most seem to like them better) seem to be a popular thrower too, as slowplastic mentioned.

You'll want to upgrade bags unless you want to risk being called old school like I did for using a Carolina Revo at my last tourney.

You'll want to upgrade bags unless you want to risk being called old school like I did for using a Carolina Revo at my last tourney.

Keeping it retro! (Idk what the kids are saying these days...)

The Buzzz has an OS brother, now. I know OP said they didn't click with OS stuff, but could be worth looking into.

I agree the "control" driver category has boomed, and the Thunderbird and PD probably hold down the coop. Shryke is the more turn, less fade destroyer out of the box. Zones are hip for approaches and stuff.

Looks like you've got a nice bag! Check out the Bag Suggestions & Feedback forum for more ideas.

Thanks for the input. Me and my wallet thank you! About playing like a beginner, I know what you mean. After a few field sessions, I have a lot of my distance back but I am putting with the acumen of a drunken child. To the technique section!

If you are trying to smooth out your throw... a Comet would be excellent alongside that Buzzz, or a Tursas for a bigger gap in stability.

Ten years ago if you went on a dg site for recommendations you would hear "Gateway putters, Discraft mids, Innova drivers."

Ten years later there are a bunch of new companies making golf discs. Many of them are copies of discs that already were and none of them are a disc you HAVE to have. Wizard, Buzzz, Leopard/TeeBird, Destroyer is as solid a bag now as it was then.

I don't, and to be honest I still see far more Wizards than Ions on the course. Proving that it's all individual anyway ;)

Seriously, the OPs got a solid bag.. not that much has changed.

That's only b/c MVP is still trying to figure out how to make a decent base line plastic. Ion pwns Wizards on throws all day though.

If I'm going to throw an MVP putter, it'll be an Envy.

Meh, might as well be a short mid. Ion is better for putting.

In summation:

Wizard: Best putter thanks to Gateway plastic

Envy: Best thrower.

Ion: Great putter and thrower.