• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

pdga disciplinary report

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep, i was there

What was the full story?

A couple of years ago the day after a tournament I ran, several players called me to complain that a player that won their division had cheated. They trusted him to turn in the scorecard following the final round and he apparently went from 3rd to 1st.

No one bothered questioning me once scores were posted before announcing awards or during or right after. As a TD it is hard to know everything that is going on. If it had been brought up while that player could have been questioned and statements taken, maybe something couldve been done.

A ten year suspension for playing while suspended will basically force the player to continue to find more creative ways to play while suspended because what are they gonna do, suspend them for another ten years. If you love to play DG, you're going to find a way to play. A ten year suspension is stupid because it in no way deters someone from playing anyway.

A ten year suspension for playing while suspended will basically force the player to continue to find more creative ways to play while suspended because what are they gonna do, suspend them for another ten years. If you love to play DG, you're going to find a way to play. A ten year suspension is stupid because it in no way deters someone from playing anyway.

The suspension isn't intended to keep someone from play disc golf, or in unsanctioned events. The offender is only restricted from playing PDGA events.

The real question is, why would you want to cheat? Isn't this supposed to be a game of honor? If you want to win at any cost necessary, you should take up a new sport. One such as Football, Baseball or even Cycling.

With that being said, I think suspending somebody for getting arrested outside a tournament with an illicit substance is a sham. I know he mentioned he was a pro disc golfer but that was his personal business, not something the PDGA should concern themselves with.

The PDGA can only control PDGA events. The intent of a suspension isn't to stop the player from playing, it's to stop them from playing PDGA events. If players find other events to play that are non-sanctioned, that's not the PDGA's concern.

That's what makes these "playing while suspended" players even dumber...they could have just stuck to local non-sanctioned stuff, but noooo, they just had to go and play a PDGA event when they knew they weren't welcome.

Sad thing is I bet all three guys that are serving suspensions for playing while suspended were serving relatively short suspensions (couple months, give or take) and just couldn't stay away long enough to serve it out.

He went all Brett Favre on a chick(sent a d**k pic) and got caught with a bunch of weed in a hotel room not too long ago

With that being said, I think suspending somebody for getting arrested outside a tournament with an illicit substance is a sham. I know he mentioned he was a pro disc golfer but that was his personal business, not something the PDGA should concern themselves with.

I couldn't disagree more. There is a major precident in this is all sports - whenever a player has an arrest or anything off the field, the team or league almost always suspends him. You NEVER hear the argument that it didn't have to do with football or whatever.

The reason the PDGA has to do this is image control. It's one thing for someone to say we are potheads, but it's another thing for someone to be arrested with enough pot to clearly be selling and the PDGA to not do anything about it.

The PDGA can't control what their members do, but it can control how it reacts to it.

To summarize, if our sport ever wants to make it, we have to STOP making like it's ok to smoke weed and we have to STOP getting mad at the PDGA when someone chooses to do so and their are consequences. This has nothing to do with - nor should it - mine or anyone elses personal opinions on the matter. This has to do with image. And our sport has to clear our image to progress.

Wasn't trying to start that - I'm simply stating the overall PDGA view on the subject and my personal opinions on why it's correct.

I surely hope this discussion wouldn't be going on if someone was arrested for a DUI or assault and was then suspended.

Wasn't trying to start that - I'm simply stating the overall PDGA view on the subject and my personal opinions on why it's correct.

I surely hope this discussion wouldn't be going on if someone was arrested for a DUI or assault and was then suspended.

I know, and I agree with your statements. I've just been here long enough that no mention of pot being "bad" on this forum will go without some scathing replies, and resulting debate over the related legalities.

here's a valid question: if the delinquent TD's pay the money they owe, is their suspension lifted?

here's a valid question: if the delinquent TD's pay the money they owe, is their suspension lifted?

Yes, 30 days after the full amount of funds are received. I'm not sure if there are situations where payment plans are established or not.

The PDGA office handles those, we on the discipline committee don't see those.

Does the discipline committee review all transgressions? Pot is one of them or drugs, but I imagine, just like in all sports there is all sorts of bad things that players can get involved in. DWI's, Domestic Abuse, robery, what ever. I know the PDGA doesnt have that type of ability to investigate and the players, thank god, don't have a union to protect them but major sports also have an appeals / arbitrator / review process.

What is the stance by the pdga on marijuana use in states where it's a legally prescribed medicine or now legal.

What is the stance by the pdga on marijuana use in states where it's a legally prescribed medicine or now legal.

my guess is, like other sports leagues, the state laws are irrelevant, especially when federal law trumps all of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts