• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA iPhone app

What about a way to keep a running rating total for players that are used.

Live scoring during tournaments?

As a tournament director, I'm wondering if this app could eventually allow us to push scores to a website for live scoring during tournament rounds. This would be a very useful feature for tournament play, and would really push the sport to a new level.

Just think.....live scoring available at lots of tournaments....even C tiers!

If the developers can figure out a way to do that, it would be really impressive.

I would prefer it if it was developed so that it could push scores to any website that was properly set up to receive them. That way, each tournament could have live scoring on it's own page.

I'm sure that's asking a lot, but I thought I'd put it out there for consideration.

The app isn't needed because TDs can do it right now. All you need is one SmartPhone with Internet access in each group or as many groups as you can get. The PDGA site where TDs upload is already to go for live scoring for as many groups as have phones. The TD just has to set it up.

Why when you look up previous rounds they are all jumbled up. There is no order by date or course or anything?

Unfortunately I've stopped using the app. Too many crashes, and not that a couple of other apps have provided updates (DG Caddy) they are just plain better.

If the rating thing ever works for me without crashing, maybe I'd rethink it. But it is just lacking too many functions right now, and with too many crashes.

I paid...I supported...but I need more out of an app.

Can you please provide us some feedback on how you have experienced the crashes? We have had very few reports of crashes so far.

Thanks,
-Theo Pozzy

Is there any way to add a temp hole to the app? One of the first times I used it, I wasn't able to.

You can't add it to a course you've downloaded but you can create a course with the same name and different number of holes. That feature will get better in future revs.

i just bought it and plugged in the 27 hole layout for the CVO this weekend, I will use it for the 2 rounds and give some feedback...

Ok, I thought it worked great, very easy to use during tourney play and was an excellent backup to the official scorecard, helped resolve a counting error too. The one thing that I would like to see added would be the ability to add holes to courses in the database and edit the hole numbers to reflect the use of letters ie. 8A, 8B etc...The ability to use the actual course data and add holes would make this exceptionally easy for those events where extra holes are added to the regular layout. It would also be nice to be able to calculate round ratings for customized courses. If there was a way that you could modify the official course data perhaps the app could use the SSA in the database for the regular layout plus generic formula information based on what is entered for the temps....overall i consider it worth the $4.99...

Ok, I thought it worked great, very easy to use during tourney play and was an excellent backup to the official scorecard, helped resolve a counting error too. The one thing that I would like to see added would be the ability to add holes to courses in the database and edit the hole numbers to reflect the use of letters ie. 8A, 8B etc...The ability to use the actual course data and add holes would make this exceptionally easy for those events where extra holes are added to the regular layout. It would also be nice to be able to calculate round ratings for customized courses. If there was a way that you could modify the official course data perhaps the app could use the SSA in the database for the regular layout plus generic formula information based on what is entered for the temps....overall i consider it worth the $4.99...

Ditto to everything jcrab said. Used it this past weekend, decent with those few problems. Also it would be nice to edit your saved courses without playing a round.

Thanks

Also it would be nice to edit your saved courses without playing a round.

There is a way to do that. Just press the arrow on the right instead of the name on the left. That'll open up a menu with an "Edit Hole Info" option. Took me a while to stumble upon that.

I found another thing this weekend while using the app during a tournament, you can change the order of players. I was frustrated during the first round because I didn't have the players in the same order as the official card. When I started the second round I realized that as you add players to the card they are listed in order at the bottom of the screen. Just add players in card order then you're all set. If you already started the round you can press "Edit Players" and re-add the players to fix the order.

You know how when you're playing music it'll show the album art on the lock screen? I'd like to see the tee order and current scores on the lock screen when the PDGA app is running. That would save me a swipe (and pin entry for some of you) in order to check who is next up on the tee.

BTW, the app came in handy this weekend. After the first round the player with the card took it with him to the store. I was also keeping score on my iPod Touch and the TD accepted the scores from it. Kept the tournament running on schedule and probably avoided some strokes.

There is a way to do that. Just press the arrow on the right instead of the name on the left. That'll open up a menu with an "Edit Hole Info" option. Took me a while to stumble upon that.

good info, i wish i had stumbled upon that!

I found another thing this weekend while using the app during a tournament, you can change the order of players. I was frustrated during the first round because I didn't have the players in the same order as the official card. When I started the second round I realized that as you add players to the card they are listed in order at the bottom of the screen. Just add players in card order then you're all set. If you already started the round you can press "Edit Players" and re-add the players to fix the order.

this is one that i stumbled upon too...

You know how when you're playing music it'll show the album art on the lock screen? I'd like to see the tee order and current scores on the lock screen when the PDGA app is running. That would save me a swipe (and pin entry for some of you) in order to check who is next up on the tee.

great idea! BTW, the teepad order feature is one of the best things about it, really takes the "thinking" out of figuring that out...
[/QUOTE]

i am sorry for not catching up on the posts here, but i was wondering if there is an update on the release of the android version?

The app isn't needed because TDs can do it right now. All you need is one SmartPhone with Internet access in each group or as many groups as you can get. The PDGA site where TDs upload is already to go for live scoring for as many groups as have phones. The TD just has to set it up.

Glad I asked then. I was not aware of that. I'm emailing Mr Sweeton right now to find out how to do it....

Glad I asked then. I was not aware of that. I'm emailing Mr Sweeton right now to find out how to do it....

I too was intrigued by that comment and was able to figure out the live scoring and use it for this weekends Final 9. I did a test run ahead of time to test it out, I kicked uli's butt, and it was pretty straight forward. I did have a snafu in that when I went to get it set Sunday am, it wouldn't work. I emailed a couple of folks and got the help I needed. I literally set it up as I was calling 2 mins to start the final!

Thank you (and others on this thread) for the feedback. We are definitely adding your requests to the feature wish list, and the more often we hear about any given item, the higher in priority it will go.

Being able to dynamically alter the regular course layout, including adding holes with non-numeric designations, is getting to be a recurring theme.

-Theo Pozzy (and the dev team)

i am sorry for not catching up on the posts here, but i was wondering if there is an update on the release of the android version?

The Android version of the app is now under active development. Because of the challenges of dealing with the myriad of devices and screens, it's going to take a while to complete it, but we're pushing on it hard. We'll keep you posted as we get closer to release later this year.

-Theo

this app is worth the 5 bucks for the "show courses near me" and "get direction" function alone. I still use DiscGolf to keep score during rounds but I can see this app surpassing it with a couple more updates.

Latest posts