• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA NT: 2021 Texas State Disc Golf Championship Mar 26-28

I like Ian Anderson because he's a descriptor, very much like golf on TV, there's one guy mostly describing. A quick Wood for birdie, McBeth for Par, Eagle 2nd throw, is useful because you quickly know the player and the situation, and for live coverage it's even more important because there's often no visual editing. Having 2 or 3 guys commenting isn't what I want, and that's not only for discgolf.

I think Ian should be full time on live coverage. Just need to find a former player that he can vibe with. Doss is perfect on paper as he understands the great shots and has won at the highest level and could still compete....but is terrible in the booth.
Sexton would be perfect but he should be playing. I get upset when i hear him talking and not throwing lol....unless its post coverage.

Maybe Luke Humphries and Ian....Luke hangs with all the top pros and sees them play these courses. He may be a good color guy that can provide insight? Idk just a thought. I like his vibes.

Terry Miller never never....i love what he has done for disc golf but he is worse than Doss and anyone i ever heard for that matter. I would join his patreon if he promised to not commentate anymore. Post or live.

I think Ian should be full time on live coverage. Terry Miller never never....i love what he has done for disc golf but he is worse than Doss and anyone i ever heard for that matter.

Quite literally the complete opposite for me. The difference in vocal delivery on the ears especially in a 3-5 hour broadcast is night and day. Ian has been speed commentating for years, this is not going to change anytime soon. Terry's biggest plus is his clear easy spoken voice, similar to Sexton, is perfect for a long broadcast. Doss is learning to dial it back, Terry knows this already, he just piggy backs on the banter too much. I could see Ian as a support role in the booth feeding facts to the commentators. He obviously puts in the time to know the players.

Quite literally the complete opposite for me. The difference in vocal delivery on the ears especially in a 3-5 hour broadcast is night and day. Ian has been speed commentating for years, this is not going to change anytime soon. Terry's biggest plus is his clear easy spoken voice, similar to Sexton, is perfect for a long broadcast. Doss is learning to dial it back, Terry knows this already, he just piggy backs on the banter too much. I could see Ian as a support role in the booth feeding facts to the commentators. He obviously puts in the time to know the players.

Again, i feel like i agree with everything you say above UNTIL Terry starts his commentating. For years it has been impossible for me to listen to him. I dont feel im in the minority.
I say Ian because he is the most experienced and well-liked i can think of at the moment.

Disc golf loves bigsexy type commentary but i agree it isnt best for live coverage. Terry/Doss also is the wrong commentary in the opposite direction.

This live coverage is getting great and they will find their stride. They will listen to feedback or get passed up by someone else that does better.

We agree to disagree. I respect your opinion.

I listened for the 1st hole Sunday and the in studio people talked over the person on hole 1 announcing the next player.

I have never done that job but have listened to announcers my whole life. Them talking over each other is basic "do not do" and they can't shut up for that. They do not need to fill the air time 100% and it seems they are the only ones not getting that.

Totally agree, I want to hear the player intros.

Again, i feel like i agree with everything you say above UNTIL Terry starts his commentating. For years it has been impossible for me to listen to him. I dont feel im in the minority.
I say Ian because he is the most experienced and well-liked i can think of at the moment.

Disc golf loves bigsexy type commentary but i agree it isnt best for live coverage. Terry/Doss also is the wrong commentary in the opposite direction.

This live coverage is getting great and they will find their stride. They will listen to feedback or get passed up by someone else that does better.

We agree to disagree. I respect your opinion.

There is no doubt Ian is the most prepared. Thanks for the conversation, respect your points of view on the subject as well. :thmbup:

The biggest issue with Doss remains that he wants to project narrative instead of simply commenting on the narrative in front of him or adding useful info on the events at hand. Where as Sexton comments on, for example, what Rebecca Cox needs to raise her C1x putting percentage to to be regularly competitive, Doss situates his analysis to final scores, and who is sitting pretty, and who he (Doss) has just decided to eliminate. Doss's commentary reminds me, of sorts, of XGames commentary when a big thing happens in a BMX run that lasts a few minutes. A golf tournament is a marathon, not a sprint, and it's nice to have interesting ideas to marinate on while watching the marathon. Sexton provides that. He's also closer to players currently on the tour. Doss has a Nice Faldo (ball golf) aspect to him that he tells stories that really only date him from the current tour. It worked fine enough this week with Matty O on the card.

Sexton's also way better than Doss on adding anything to the FPO coverage.

I think that's a big reason why Terry Miller's commentary irritates me.

Cool, you were tight with everybody back in 2010 when Avery and Feldy were still relevant. There was no competition back then, everybody stepped up their game big time, and you're still telling rambling stories during footage.

Absolutely not disrespecting the fact that he's been around for a long time and contributed to the growth of things, however I think we can all admit in our own respective professions it's pretty much given if you're not adapting you're gonna get left in the dust.

Do you know the area at all? From the looks of it on the map, there a couple subdivisions near the park. So that would lead me to believe there are a few cell towers in the area?

There are and I do. I was just worried about the deep woods portions of the course . But there were no interruptions.

I've watched half of the Jomez coverage so far, and I may not finish watching the rest. The course doesn't translate well on camera. Even the commentators often can't tell whether a throw is good or not -- textbook sign that the lines are too tight and the obstacles deliver random punishment.

You do get to see some interesting scramble shots, but even those are hit-and-miss in terms of being able to see and appreciate what the player is trying to do.

What's "The Champ" up to these days? Thought I remember him commentating one year for USDGC, but I don't recall how it was.

I've watched half of the Jomez coverage so far, and I may not finish watching the rest. The course doesn't translate well on camera. Even the commentators often can't tell whether a throw is good or not -- textbook sign that the lines are too tight and the obstacles deliver random punishment.

You do get to see some interesting scramble shots, but even those are hit-and-miss in terms of being able to see and appreciate what the player is trying to do.

It does take a bit to get familiar with each hole and watching the disc turn a corner and having no idea if it was good or not until they switch to the catch cam isn't "the best", but I enjoyed it overall.

Watched a Ricky interview where he talks about random trees in a fairway being an issue. Trees you cannot see and just ruin a shot.

Terry Miller going Disc-Golf-Viral.

"Almost a velcro type tree. You get anywhere near them they will suck your dick."

Watching throw down the mountain. Terry said, "not many stroke swapping holes left". Laughed a little.

I don't think he has the best words.

A few minutes later he was talking about one the guys on the card likes to fish. He circled around it. Something about throwing lines at the water and then realized he was rambling.

Watching throw down the mountain. Terry said, "not many stroke swapping holes left". Laughed a little.

I don't think he has the best words.

A few minutes later he was talking about one the guys on the card likes to fish. He circled around it. Something about throwing lines at the water and then realized he was rambling.
I don't mind his coverage. Just a dude talking about disc golf sometimes.

Latest posts