• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

OK Rating gurus:

My rating hasn't changed since Oct. 2013.
In my rating, there are 34 rounds.
Of those rounds, 8 are from 2012.
So...there are 26 valid rounds from 2013, why are they still including 2012 rounds? My rating would go up if they would drop the 2012's off.

all ratings within 365 days of your most recently rated round. This usually includes rounds from the exact same tournament the year before if they are held on the same date.

OK Rating gurus:

So...there are 26 valid rounds from 2013, why are they still including 2012 rounds? My rating would go up if they would drop the 2012's off.

The rating is calculated using rounds 12 months since your LAST RATED ROUND, not since day of ratings update.

So if your last rated round in there is from October of 2013 they will go back 12 months from there, or until October of 2012, to calculate your rating.

OK Rating gurus:

The 12 months of rounds included in your rating has nothing to do with the calendar. It's each player's most recent rounds going back 365 days from the exact date of their most recently rated round.

My lowest rated round ever magically made it into my rating this time when it wasn't counted in the last 6 months. Went down 5 instead of 2 because of it.

The final ratings for 2013 to include all rateable events from that year will be posted mid-February. Hopefully, all TDs will have their reports to PDGA to be included. No events in 2014 will be included in that update. The first update to include any 2014 events will be March 18th.

I'm still thinking my rating is including rounds it should not have. From Ratings Guide:
All properly reported PDGA events for the past 12 months are included in a player's ratings calculation. If you have less than 8 rounds of data, the program will go back as far as 24 months until it either finds 8 total rounds, or it will select all your rounds if less than 8. All members should receive a rating even if they only have one round of information in the database. Almost all of your rounds are counted, but those more than 2.5 standard deviations or more than 100 points below your average are dropped (about 1 in 50). Your most recent 25% (1/4) of your rounds will be double weighted in the calculation so your current performance is slightly more important. If you do not complete a round (indicated in event scores as DNF or 999), it is not included in your ratings round count.

My rounds:

http://www.pdga.com/player/51540/details

According to the quote above, my rounds from Sept. 1, 2012 through Oct. 14, 2012 should have been dropped (actually should have been dropped that last update, but I figured I'd give it another update to see what's up.)

I did send the PDGA a contact question.

The 12 months of rounds included in your rating has nothing to do with the calendar. It's each player's most recent rounds going back 365 days from the exact date of their most recently rated round.

Hey Chuck. 2012 would be over 365 days ago. I got rounds from September 2012 still being included in my rating.

http://www.pdga.com/player/51540/details

I'd reread what multiple people have posted. Your last round was August 3, 2013. Your rating will then include rounds going back to August 2, 2012.

ratings only drop when you add new ratings... if those ratings are more than a year old. If you haven't played an event or rather, if an event was not included in an update, no new rounds added, hence no old rounds dropped. If an event isn't showing and it has been a while, contact the Tour Manager and the TD.

Such excitement out there!

Well, this makes the 17th consecutive ratings update that I've been stuck in an 11-point-wide zone.

It's getting increasingly hard to convince myself that I'm not really as bad as my rating says I am.

At first, it might seem odd that we don't just include the 12 months of rounds prior to each ratings update. However if we did that, players' ratings would disappear if they didn't play for a year. Now, you make your previous year round ratings disappear simply by playing at least 8 rated rounds each year.

Last edited:
AH.....tanks a ton.

I understood it to mean it was the last 12 months / 365 days from the date of the most current rating update.

Glad to be playing in 3 weeks to drop off a bunch of old stuff.

Last edited:
I've always thought it should be like 360 days... so you DON'T include the same weekend in consecutive years. I mean, shouldn't your rating be based on your most recent performance? To include both weekends, you MANY TIMES include the last two years of the last event played. I would rather forget the past and live off my most recent performance.

I've always thought it should be like 360 days... so you DON'T include the same weekend in consecutive years. I mean, shouldn't your rating be based on your most recent performance? To include both weekends, you MANY TIMES include the last two years of the last event played. I would rather forget the past and live off my most recent performance.
This issue has been discussed several times since ratings began. We've always come down on the side that including more rounds in a rating is statistically better than a slightly more recent average with fewer rounds, especially since the average PDGA player averages only 16 rated rounds per year. It's admittedly a coin flip judgment call.

Chucks,

Perhaps some sort of rule where if you have X number of tournaments, you drop the one on the same weekend of last year... if you don't, it stays to allow for more rated rounds. In general, I would think frequent players would prefer only their most recent crack at a course to represent their current rating.

Latest posts