• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA registration worth it?

elkevo

Par Member
I'm hoping to play in my first tournament in a few weeks, the Back Bay Battle at Hiller Park. I'm not registered with PDGA and am wondering if it is worth registering. I probably won't be playing in more than 2-3 tournaments per year, if I'm lucky.

I think it is... Even if you decide to not re-up it next year or whenever, you keep the PDGA number for life... Good to lock up as low a number as you can...

I think you still get a magazine subscription for a year and the disc they give you... Plus a personalized mini and other little schwag...

You pay more at PDGA tournaments when you don't have a current membership too... So maybe the math adds up even at 2 or 3 tournies a year... Not sure there exactly

$10 off each tournament. First year, you get a disc/membership package. Disc Golfer magazine subscription. Rating.

I think it's well worth it, even if you only play a few tournaments.

The membership mini isn't personalized...hasn't been for quite a while.

$10 off each tournament. First year, you get a disc/membership package. Disc Golfer magazine subscription. Rating.

I think it's well worth it, even if you only play a few tournaments.

The membership mini isn't personalized...hasn't been for quite a while.

Really? Mine has my number on it. I wonder why they stopped doing that... It's the favorite thing I got.

I've been a member continuously since first registering in 2012 & got the last year of minis with the number on them, I guess. The initial sign up disc is usually pretty (black with gold foil stamp, I think, every year?), but the mold changes from year to year. Membership card has some discounts on hotels and stuff similar to those available for any other similar sized group (30-35,000 active members, I think). Annual key tag is OK, and the quarterly magazine gives me more of a thrill when it arrives than I'd expect (my only magazine subscription).

For me, playing at least a dozen sanctioned events every year, including at least one bigger event (BG Ams, Ledgestone, Worlds...) means I definitely make it worthwhile price-wise. And having their rating to force me to focus myself and do better, if I can, is a big plus. On top of all that, I like supporting the sport, and it's the international group, so...count me in! :p

I've been a member continuously since first registering in 2012 & got the last year of minis with the number on them, I guess. The initial sign up disc is usually pretty (black with gold foil stamp, I think, every year?), but the mold changes from year to year. Membership card has some discounts on hotels and stuff similar to those available for any other similar sized group (30-35,000 active members, I think). Annual key tag is OK, and the quarterly magazine gives me more of a thrill when it arrives than I'd expect (my only magazine subscription).

For me, playing at least a dozen sanctioned events every year, including at least one bigger event (BG Ams, Ledgestone, Worlds...) means I definitely make it worthwhile price-wise. And having their rating to force me to focus myself and do better, if I can, is a big plus. On top of all that, I like supporting the sport, and it's the international group, so...count me in! :p

I think the summation of all these points is on mark for me as well. I joined and kept a membership for many years without playing a single tournament. It seemed like (and still does) a good way to support the game. :hfive:

Please join, support the organization, get your number (we're quickly approaching 100,000) and your stuff. Then
decide next year if its worth it to renew.

Getting your number for life is worth joining the organization and then if you play several tournaments each year your rating over time is calculated, listed by round and even graphed over time. It's all there for you to see on the Pdga site.
But on a somewhat related note I think Discgolfer magazine should be an optional buy when joining/renewing. I personally don't care for it because all of the tournament coverage is dated by the time it comes out. The Winter 2017 issue leads with USDGC coverage and no one is even talking about that anymore. And the mag can't go an issue or two without rehashing some form of the same article, which is a look back at our history and historical pros. Same thing over and over. I think they do it to fill space in the pages. I've been a member since 2002 and will continue to be but I haven't opened the plastic on those mags in several years.

Getting your number for life is worth joining the organization and then if you play several tournaments each year your rating over time is calculated, listed by round and even graphed over time. It's all there for you to see on the Pdga site.
But on a somewhat related note I think Discgolfer magazine should be an optional buy when joining/renewing. I personally don't care for it because all of the tournament coverage is dated by the time it comes out. The Winter 2017 issue leads with USDGC coverage and no one is even talking about that anymore. And the mag can't go an issue or two without rehashing some form of the same article, which is a look back at our history and historical pros. Same thing over and over. I think they do it to fill space in the pages. I've been a member since 2002 and will continue to be but I haven't opened the plastic on those mags in several years.

Not to discount your opinion, honestly. I really enjoy the mag, cool pics, occasional interesting articles. They have been running some "wayback machine" type pieces that ring pretty true for an old guy like me. Works well to fill some bathroom time. The decision is really...to each his own.....or her. (given the recent threads around here)

No one can answer this question for anyone else.

If the measure is, What's in it for me?, then you have to weigh how much the various benefits are worth to you. Unless you're playing more than 5 tournaments a year, in which case it's pretty simple.

If you want to be part of the major international organization in the sport, all you have to weigh is whether there's something about the PDGA you don't like, severely enough to offset being a part.

For myself, when I found out there was an organization to join, I joined. Some years I haven't been able to play a tournament. But I just received a legacy tag for 20 years of membership.

^was wondering that too. besides going first in tie situations, can't think of anything else. I don't think going first is all that great anyway. Also, if you're not playing enough tournaments, it isn't worth it at all. I think you need to join to play A tiers, but you're not going to b/c you are new. As far as supporting or growing the sport, I would rather give the money to a local club.

Just curious, why is a lower PDGA number considered better? :confused:

It will be cooler in 5-10 years from now when all the new discers come around and you can brag on your low PDGA number...

:thmbup:

If anyone wants a 5 digit number, they probably should join this year.
I blew off joining for a few years and they went from 4 digits to 5 by the time I got around to it. I'm waaayyy less cool than I would be if I had the 4 digit number. :|