• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pdga #'s

formerly 9456... this is the first year i haven't been a dues paying member since 95. maybe the boneheads in charge will eventually decide there is value to retaining folks like me and come up with an inexpensive membership option.

My point is that the $10 non-pdga membership fee for tournaments is hurting the pdga more than helping. A lot of us that joined in the middle 2000's have moved on with life and graduated college. Making playing 5+ tournaments a year impossible. Therefore we don't renew and pay the $10 hit for the few tournaments we play each year. This lowers the overall current membership numbers of the pdga. Instead I pay $40 to the USGA for a handicap that allows me to play in scrambles and other fun Bolf tournaments. Last fall that $40 handicap investment won me $197 for a skin and a Adams Hybrid Iron worth $220 for one tournament played. The pdga needs to find a better way to retain membership vs. Chucks claim of an outdated survey done by Terry the Pirate year ago.

/rant

Got my number when I first started playing tourneys, Came in 2nd to DFL. Figured I should play better before play more tourneys. Got my number renewed this year and am planning on play more rated rounds.

PDGA averages about 20% non-renewals each year which are replaced by enough new members so the org has been growing 6-8% per year. That turnover rate is apparently comparable or better than other membership orgs of similar size in a wide range of fields when Terry Calhoun did the research a few years ago.

In 2004, it was 29% non-renewals. That was 37% non-renewal for NEW members, and 26% non-renewal for EXISTING members.

Looking at the 37% non-renewal for NEW members, by rating, is was:
18% non-renewal for the 466 NEW members rated 900+.
33% non-renewal for the 1095 NEW members rated <900.
60% non-renewal for the 661 NEW members unrated.

2004ish was sort of a dark era, so the numbers are probably better now. But it goes to the OP as to where the numbers are from that era. (PDGA# 26004 was given out at the end of 2004.) Heck, even this document at pdga.com shows that only 1 in 7* players with a PDGA# under 25,000 were current in Aug 2010:
http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/MemberDemographics_08252010.pdf

*I seem to remember a low block of PDGA# that were reserved for gifts and/or foreign players that had not yet been assigned. This recollection may or may not be correct.

p.s. I'm PDGA# 10567. Played frisbee golf in the early 80s, didn't play with discs until 1993, didn't join until probably 1995(?).

Last edited:
In the last tournament I played in one of the older guys had a PDGA# of 18. He said he helped found the PDGA but only started playing in tournaments a few years ago

#3956 here with numerous Ace and Birdie Club discs/shirts. First time in 26 years that I'm on the fence regarding renewal.

I've been a member for 16 years.....but when I think back on my life 16 years ago, it was quite different. Many of the activities and organizations that were part of my life then, no longer are. I'm hardly surprised that most of the disc golfers I knew at that time are doing something else now.

Not sure how the $10 fee affects this, but critique of the PDGA's various policies must be viewed in the light of impressive active membership growth, tournament schedule, and tournament participation over the years. The argument for other policies carries the burden that growth could have been---should have been---much greater.

I joined three years ago when I started playing and will continue to renew until I stop playing the game. I think it's sad that there are so many "what's in it for me" attitudes - support the game you love.
I was a USGA member for almost 40 years and last year was the first year I did not renew because I have stopped playing in order to focus on disc golf. I played in tournaments for most of my life and I couldn't participate in them if I didn't have an official handicap - there was no "pay an extra $10 and you can still play" option.
We're lucky in this sport to be able to play in virtually any tournament for a small fee even if we are not members - I wouldn't mind eliminating that option and seeing few tournaments.
I doubt anyone at the PDGA is getting rich off our membership fees...

My point is that the $10 non-pdga membership fee for tournaments is hurting the pdga more than helping. A lot of us that joined in the middle 2000's have moved on with life and graduated college. Making playing 5+ tournaments a year impossible. Therefore we don't renew and pay the $10 hit for the few tournaments we play each year. This lowers the overall current membership numbers of the pdga. Instead I pay $40 to the USGA for a handicap that allows me to play in scrambles and other fun Bolf tournaments. Last fall that $40 handicap investment won me $197 for a skin and a Adams Hybrid Iron worth $220 for one tournament played. The pdga needs to find a better way to retain membership vs. Chucks claim of an outdated survey done by Terry the Pirate year ago.

/rant

I joined specifically BECAUSE the fee jumped from from $5 to $10. I play between 3-7 tournaments a year. If the fee was still $5, that is only $35 at most. I would save money by not joining. Now, I am hooked on the rated rounds, and I like the addition of pdga sanctioned leagues.

How much did you pay to enter to bolf tourney? The first tourney I ever won, no foolin' 2010 in ma2, I took home $220 in prizes, for only $30 entry fee. Oh, and the exorbitant $2 greens fee. If I had hit an ace, I would have won about $100.

My number is 388xx. I had only been playing for about 9-10 years before joining. Only a few of the people I regularly play with are members and we all started in '97-98.

28127 here, married to 33398 with a 15 month old son 49558.

I'm not current and playing tournaments because I've got 2 herniated discs in my lower back that cause an incredable amount of pain down my leg, I simply can't play 2 rounds of golf. My wife is current and has played a couple sense we had the kid but we don't have many options with sitters for him so I've been doing the baby sitter/ photography thing at those events. We probably will not renew our son's membership unless he decides to play a tournamnet down the road. He likes discs and is allready puting them in the basket, no telling if he will be interested when he gets older, or if we will still be in an area that has a lot of tournaments.

Frustrating, the only event my wife played didn't make the update :( We were guessing it would push her over 900.

#4693 still playing a few events each year, TD'ing at least 1 event a year, and constantly organizing DG in my area. I've been current since '88 and it's definately getting more difficult to renew each year due to cost of PRO membership vs. AMs. Makes no sense to me why the pDGA needs to charge these rates with no other options (or discounts) for those of us who have put in so much time, effort, blood, sweat, and of course $$$ through the years (and still continue to do so).

I haven't renewed yet this year but it's on the way once my Kool-Aid refreshment kicks in.

08PDGAcard.jpg