• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
You done yet? I said lay off me, I'll lay off you, let's ignore each other but it seems you don't want that do ya? Yeah like it happened exactly like that, gimme a break. :rolleyes: Same deal man let it go and I will too.
I wasn't talking to you. I don't care about a lot of chit slung my way but I do take some accusations quite seriously and was looking for a reality check for my own growth as a person.

Last edited:
tell us you live in a bubble without telling us you live in a bubble

I'm not sure what this means.

Less than 1% of the people in the world care about what that word means, and they all seem to be in this thread. Now tell me, who lives in a bubble?

Liz Cheney is conservative. Donald Trump is conservative. They don't agree on everything.

Something one self-described conservative (Shallows) says isn't automatically indicative of what every self-described conservative believes. Indeed, a whole bunch of conservatives are saying they support women in athletics -- they claim banning trans-women supports all of the other women.

The same principle applies on the left. Something nutty someone on the left says, doesn't obligate everyone else on the left to denounce, or permit the assumption that they all agree with it if they don't.
The key here is in how he presented what he said: "as a conservative....."

And yet, not a single one stands up and says "no, that's ****ed up, we don't agree with that."

If someone on the left says "this is a leftist belief" and it's bat**** immoral I will absolutely take the time to stand up and go at that idiot.

Look at it this way. If you were a conservative and felt compelled to leap into action whenever some other conservative said something nutty, you'd never have time to do anything else.

Your choice, not your obligation.
Look at it this way. If you were a conservative and felt compelled to leap into action whenever some other conservative said something nutty, you'd never have time to do anything else.
And we wonder how Trumplicans took the Republican party...

And I am on the outside looking in; looking at a community that is deeply polarised, because it is taught to be (ever more) polarised; lest the opposition take away your toys and sweets. And the mere fact someone is on the other side of the aisle, is seen as reason enough to utterly discount that person and what they stand for.

The country I live in, The Netherlands is - when speaking about political and ideological and even religious motivations a person may have - deeply and utterly multi-faceted, all the while recognising that in itself.

I am not saying it is better; I am saying it is absolutely different.

Did you know that in the most recent national political elections, there were 37 (!!!) political parties to choose from?
Our house of representatives (150 seats) is currently seeing a 4 party coalition, and a 13 party opposition.
Our way of reaching concensus in a setting like that, has been dubbed "polder model", and that's been described as "a pragmatic recognition of pluriformity" and "cooperation despite differences".

I would argue that the polarization is not as bad as the media/social media let's on. (In the US).

I also don't think we are taught to be polarised. (Although I will say we are persuaded). I think the problem is we've forgotten how to cut through the crap. We don't know where to get valid information (the kind that doesn't have an agenda). Trust in media and politicians has gone bye bye.

I would argue that the polarization is not as bad as the media/social media let's on. (In the US).

I also don't think we are taught to be polarised. (Although I will say we are persuaded). I think the problem is we've forgotten how to cut through the crap. We don't know where to get valid information (the kind that doesn't have an agenda). Trust in media and politicians has gone bye bye.

It's the path of least resistance. In a way, taking the easy way out. In truth, most folks on here are exactly like my friends down at the pub. A few us are quite vocal about our beliefs. But NONE of us fits into a specific pidgeonhole. We still tolerate each other due to arguing in person.
Yay internet!
Increasing stress and misunderstanding!

(I have brothers. Argument was a competitive sport, growing up)

Yeah, persuaded is a better word than taught there.

As for trust, I think that may be true, bit the exact opposite is at least equally true. Blind faith in and following of what someone (whom we follow/trust/believe/elect) says and does is a dangerous good.

Between lack of trust and blind trust may be, or, better yet, should be, "critical thinking".

The way that is now used is: "you are not in my camp/bubble, so I am critical of what you are saying/doing".
What would be the far healthier way is, and that's (imho) the original intent: "(whether) you are in my camp/bubble (or not), I am critical of what you are saying/doing".

Yay internet!
Increasing stress and misunderstanding!

Totally, yes The Unternet, (as a metaphor for the algorithmic bubble that is created for us), "helps" our beliefs being reinforced uncritically, and then a place like this forum here, becomes a place where bubbles inevitably clash and crash.

It is sad to see that the way critical thinking and debating has been shaped on the internet (behind a mostly anonymous wall and at a safe distance), is shaping our in-person debates and how we then discount other people's being/thinking/integrity/autonomy.
We press that figurative unlike emoji in in-person debates all too easily now, and interrupt what would be and should be an organic and open exchange of experience and frame of reference, which would inevitably lead to each party coming to new insights, which then helps shape and grow that person.

There's an old adage that you should not discuss politics or religion in polite company. I've long said that it's redundant; that for many, politics is just another religion, with its dogma and demons and sacred Truths that are believed without, and sometimes in spite of, demonstrable facts.

GMcAtee is still on here and he's posted some pretty aggressive stuff in response to the trans player debate.

So, you're wrong.

Wait until I post a picture of my girlfriend and her mixed kids, or you see me on the course with them. Liberal minds will explode (Looking at you all that throw the bigot term around way too loosely)! "This does not fit our agenda!"

The tide has turned. Don't die on this trans playing women's divisions hill. All this woke crap is coming to an end.

Our way of reaching concensus in a setting like that, has been dubbed "polder model", and that's been described as "a pragmatic recognition of pluriformity" and "cooperation despite differences".

And in fact, despite our disagreements, important to note that ChrisWoj and I are on the same side as regards the ostensible point of this thread, as we both support transwomen continuing to compete in FPO.

Status
Not open for further replies.