• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Played from OB, nobody noticed

Smigles

* Ace Member *
So i was in a strange situation the other day at a tournament.

My shot skipped past the basket and slightly under a wooden house that stands right behind it. I was able to get my foot under the house from behind it, so I was putting normally. my entire card watched, and another card that was waiting for the next tee watched too.

However when we told that story to a club mate of mine (after the round), he made us aware that under the house is actually OB. So I asked the TD about it and yes, it is OB.

So I should have taken a meter and put for the 3 instead of taking my 2.

I asked the TD about it after the round. He ruled that "the group decided that the hole was finished properly, therefore my score stands as it is". Edit : I asked the TD before turning in my scorecard!

It didnt matter anyway, I was 5 strokes ahead of the next guy behind me and 2-3 behind the guy in front of me. So score wise it didnt matter.

But still, that is a very odd ruling IMO. That way, you could do almost anything with a group decision. Deciding that discs are not OB, where would it end?

So
a: was that TD ruling as fishy as I think?
b: what should have really happened?
c: does my round count at all when I dont finish it properly? Could I go back after the round, make the putt from the proper position, card a 3 OB (and probably additional penalty strokes) and the rest of the round counts as played? Or is my round not finished properly and I get disqualified from the event?

nice can of worms OP

What?

This actually happened to me last month. I dont know what your problem is, but dont take it to this thread. I just want an answer.

Plus i have a name. Its right beside my avatar. Posting a oneliner and calling me op is rude on top of being lazy.

Last edited:
From the description, the TD should have added 2 strokes for misplay.

The "group decision" part would have applied if there was a question as to whether the disc was actually O.B. or not---as in, close to the line, and in doubt or dispute as to whether part of it was inbounds.

The "group decision" part would have applied if there was a question as to whether the disc was actually O.B. or not---as in, close to the line, and in doubt or dispute as to whether part of it was inbounds.

Ok yeah thats what i thought. So i'd have a 4 instead of a 2? But apart from that my round would count as it is?

This is the answer.

803.03 Misplay
G. Types of misplay
(1) Incorrect Lie. The player has:
(C) Played an out-of-bounds disc as if it were in-bounds...
...If an additional throw or throws have been made after the misplayed throw, the player shall complete the hole being played and be assessed a two-throw penalty for the misplay.

What?

This actually happened to me last month. I dont know what your problem is, but dont take it to this thread. I just want an answer.

Plus i have a name. Its right beside my avatar. Posting a oneliner and calling me op is rude on top of being lazy.

Dang, OP thread maker putting a smack down on said felonious poster

What?

OP-wow some one a little cranky this morning? a little case of the mondays? its rude? you get upset pretty easily. its impressive

im just saying that you are going to get a bunch of people arguing about whose at fault and why.

but you didnt get the expression so whatever. good luck OP.

I just think it's odd that that OB wasn't covered in the players' meeting. The TD may have realized that it wasn't a clearly defined OB and let it go.

Did the TD not specify OB before the round. If he did then you would take the 2 strokes but wouldn't you get a wrong score on your scorecard which would add another 2 strokes or am i mistaken.

I just think it's odd that that OB wasn't covered in the players' meeting. The TD may have realized that it wasn't a clearly defined OB and let it go.

(Note: the following opinion is not coming from a rules expert, so take it with a grain of salt!)
This was my thinking as well. If the little wooden house wasn't declared in the player's meeting to be out of bounds, it would be played just like a bush or any other natural obstacle. If you can take a proper stance from behind your lie, you play as you would normally. It wouldn't really even matter if the structure is 'traditionally' played as OB if it's not covered in the course particulars for the tourney. From the response suggested by your card mates and witnesses, it wasn't declared very clearly.

(Note: the following opinion is not coming from a rules expert, so take it with a grain of salt!)
This was my thinking as well. If the little wooden house wasn't declared in the player's meeting to be out of bounds, it would be played just like a bush or any other natural obstacle. If you can take a proper stance from behind your lie, you play as you would normally. It wouldn't really even matter if the structure is 'traditionally' played as OB if it's not covered in the course particulars for the tourney. From the response suggested by your card mates and witnesses, it wasn't declared very clearly.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be covered in the players meeting to be in play. If it is shown as OB on the tee sign, or on the scorecard, or in a hand-out of some sort (program, caddy notes, etc), that suffices as well. If the information was disseminated in some way to the players, then it is on them to know that the OB exists.

Shouldn't the OB penalty counted as well for a 5?

No. It's covered in the misplay penalty.

The TD said at the players meeting that all houses are OB. The house in question was more a garden shack than a house so it didnt cross my mind.

And it's painfully obvious that me and my cart mates did not pay enugh attention during the players meeting.

Did the disc actually land completely under the building so it would have been OB? If only slightly under the building, maybe it wasn't OB but the just the stance was touching OB? In which case, it was a stance violation/foot fault that was not called (warning) and I don't believe a misplay 2-shot penalty would be applied.

Did the disc actually land completely under the building so it would have been OB? If only slightly under the building, maybe it wasn't OB but the just the stance was touching OB? In which case, it was a stance violation/foot fault that was not called (warning) and I don't believe a misplay 2-shot penalty would be applied.

It was completely under the house.

Well that was a clear misjudgement by the td. It didnt matter scorewise, but its certainly good to know. Thanks guys.

How did you take a stance if it was under the house?

Completely under the house doesn't mean inaccessible. Sounds like he contorted his foot/leg under to get behind the disc/marker. He could have been kneeling, squatting, laying down...whatever it took to get a stance.