• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Players jumping holes

patdb23

Birdie Member
Curious to hear opinions about players that jump holes. This past weekend a group of two players decided rather than starting on hole 1, they jumped to hole 8 to start their round right behind our group. Later on another group of two players jumped to hole 15 to start their round, again right behind our group. Our friends in another group were trailing behind us and we got separated because these two groups decided to just jump in where ever they wanted on the course.

I understand if the course is not very busy I wouldn't expect it to be a problem not starting on the first hole as long as you're not making the people behind you now wait.

But our home course is very busy with a group on every hole, sometimes with several groups waiting on other holes. There is usually a line of groups on hole 1 waiting. If players choose to start anywhere they wanted, it would slow down groups behind them.

Anyway, I suggested to the 2nd group that jumped that they should really start on hole 1, that they were cutting in front of all the groups behind us. Well the two guys took real offense to this, and one guy said he had been coming out here for ten years and he can start on any damn hole he pleases.

If there is actually people on every hole and people throughout the course are having to wait, then it is reprehensible. If part of the course is busy and part of the course is empty, then I have no problem with them going to the slower part of the course. In fact, going to the slower part is probably preferable.

There's a course that has so many players who skip I've pretty much stopped going there all together after work and only play the other two courses around here. It usually occurs later in the day so they can 'get their round in' before its too dark out.

I can't wait until the city courses around here go pay to play so it weeds out players like that.

Do you really have the right to tell someone where they can and can not start playing? Assuming that it is not a private course on your property, then I believe the answer is no. I don't really like people jumping right in front or behind me either, but if it's a public course then people are free to do whatever they want.

I often start on different holes at my favorite course (Corbin Park, Post Falls Idaho). That's only because it's a course where you get super hucker groups (8+ people and a 30 bomb of Icehouse) or families (8 people including small children and super seniors). I always make sure that I am not interfering with other people's games when I do so. It is really frustrating when a group of huckers does this though. There's nobody in front of you and then you get to the next pad only to see 10 people with two discs throwing both and tossing their beer cans on the ground while they argue about who's loading the next bowl. That gets annoying quick.

Morley Field is terrible too many freaking people!!!

I was one of those people that had to keep skipping holes because a sausage fest of groups of 10+ didnt let us pass???

They really need to open up another local 18 because that place is a danger zone.

Also when u can play a hole without waiting all day it becomes very stressful.

There's a course that has so many players who skip I've pretty much stopped going there all together after work and only play the other two courses around here. It usually occurs later in the day so they can 'get their round in' before its too dark out.

I can't wait until the city courses around here go pay to play so it weeds out players like that.

Should happen next summer, Nexah3.

I do it all the time on my local course near my house where I can either get caught behind everyone piling up on hole #1 (cause of the time of day) or I can jump to #12 and knock out the back half and let everyone move along on the front. I see no issue with it since I'm not bothering anyone or having to worry about conflict with trying to play through people.

The problem is still holding up pace of play, not where they start. I often jump holes if I'm by myself, why should I wait on 4 groups when I can jump on 5 and have nobody in front of me? O, and I have and will in the future, pay to play.

If it's a "pay for play course" then it would absolutely make a difference. You'd assume that there is someone there collecting money and acting as a course official. That's the guy/gal I'd talk to about this on a pay/private course.

However, it sounds like the OP was talking about a public course, in which case you're outta luck. Yes, it sucks when this happens, but there's little you can do about it except politely asking to either A)play through or B)ask them to wait and play behind you. Getting all flustered, causing a scene, or even letting it get to you isn't worth ruining your time on the course.

This is fairly typical on my local popular public course.

Do you really have the right to tell someone where they can and can not start playing? Assuming that it is not a private course on your property, then I believe the answer is no. I don't really like people jumping right in front or behind me either, but if it's a public course then people are free to do whatever they want.

Pretty much agree here. "Public course" is kinda a free pass to do as you like, altho jumpin up on a hole while others are waiting seems like a jerk move.

We have a course within walking distance of a friends house down in Colorado Springs. The difference being that the walk hits the course right at hole 13. As long as there aren't players coming off 12, or a line, we will start on 13 so we can end coming off 12 for the walk home. All in all, I think starting where you want isn't an issue as long as you have respect for others on the course. I have no problem with waiting on a group to continue through a hole while i'm stretching and all that before a round.

We have (myself included) ppl that will stay on a hole for 30+ minutes just practicing their drives all the time. As long as they step off to the side and let groups play through, no harm, no foul. :thmbup:

I don't mind people skipping ahead as long as they're considerate. Like don't jump on a pad as we're walking up to play that hole. Or if it's you and 8 of your "bros," don't cut in front of my threesome.

The course where I most often play is 27 holes, set up as three groups of 9 holes. If hole 1 has people playing I will often start on 10 or 19.

I often start on different holes at my favorite course (Corbin Park, Post Falls Idaho). That's only because it's a course where you get super hucker groups (8+ people and a 30 bomb of Icehouse) or families (8 people including small children and super seniors). I always make sure that I am not interfering with other people's games when I do so. It is really frustrating when a group of huckers does this though. There's nobody in front of you and then you get to the next pad only to see 10 people with two discs throwing both and tossing their beer cans on the ground while they argue about who's loading the next bowl. That gets annoying quick.

I'm the exact same way with my home course. I understand what the op is saying..but I'm not going to start on hole one when there is a 4 person group on 1, 2, 3, and 4 when I'm playing by myself. I never jump in front of groups lesser in size than mine.

I'm a little surprised by some of the comments here. So the consensus I am reading is that for some it's not appropriate and for others, who cares? Some have suggested if it's a public course then it doesn't matter. Just curious, I haven't played ball golf in many years, but most of the courses here are all public. Yet, I have never heard of ball golfers starting on other holes unless it's the back 9 with no groups coming up.

I guess it's just another thing to show our "sport" has a long way to go, if one of the central themes is etiquette and courtesy.

I do agree if the course is empty on another side, then no issue with that. But when you are on a pay-to-play course, with groups in line on hole 1 patiently waiting, having other groups jump in between, IMO, is discourteous. Typically at this course after a finishing a hole there is usually a wait on the next hole. When you have players jump in, now they are slowing the group(s) behind them. For all you who answered no big deal here, I wonder how you would respond when someone cuts in front of you at the drive-in, or any other line, no big deal right?

Last edited:

Latest posts