• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playin' in the Rain.

My personal opinion is to use your "grippiest" plastic possible. I try to avoid using Champion (or Elite Z) plastic and lean more towards Star (or ESP) and DX (or Pro D). I don't use much Pro (or Elite X) plastic any more, but it does nicely in the rain as well.

$.02 for you :)

don't forget an umbrella! and extra clothes including some good socks :D

Birdie Bag!!

Have fun! I love playing in the rain. Keeping a dry towel is key to having fun in the rain. This means having multiple towels in a Ziploc bag. Shoes with good grip is a must as well. Use a stool to set your bag on, or it will get really nasty. If the tee boxes are slippery, put a towel down where your front foot will plant, this solves any kind of slippage.

This is what I say...:thmbup:

DX/D and Pro/X plastics grip fairly well in rain, but Vibram discs offer the best wet weather grip. In addition to all of the good tips, maybe check out a Vibram or two.

DX/D and Pro/X plastics grip fairly well in rain, but Vibram discs offer the best wet weather grip. In addition to all of the good tips, maybe check out a Vibram or two.

I had forgot to mention this. I haven't had quite the reason to do this yet, but if I ever move to a very wet area like the pacific northwest or something, I plan on putting together an entire bag just for wet/winter weather. Nothing but Vibram and DX/Pro plastic.

Also, I personally don't understand why some people hate the rain so much. Sure, cold rain sucks, but if it's warm out it's not that bad. Actually I think it can be rather refreshing.

Discraft FLX esp is absolutley amazing as long the discs you need are available in that plastic. I think the wet grip on the FLX is actually better than many dry discs. Got try it at least. My FLX Buzz is the best disc in my bag.

Most important thing is to keep yourself comfortable and able to concentrate on your game. Keeping discs dry is one concern, but don't overlook keeping your feet dry. Nothing like a blister to throw your game off.

Most important thing is to keep yourself comfortable and able to concentrate on your game. Keeping discs dry is one concern, but don't overlook keeping your feet dry. Nothing like a blister to throw your game off.

Honestly, as long as I wear good socks and good shoes, I've never had a problem with wet feet. There's been rounds where I just walk into a pond to retrieve a disc (doesn't happen too often ;)), and come out shoes, socks, and feet soaked without any discomfort after continuing playing. Never underestimate athletic socks. Down with cotton!

Then again, maybe I just have weird feet.

just keep your hands and disc as dry as possible, and watch where you walk. A soggy shoe may throw you off your game if you step in a big enough puddle. ;)

IMO your best bet is just to plan to get wet as hell and have some baseline/grippy plastic on hand.. forget the towels, trying to stay dry, and all the added stress associated with trying to stay dry while being in mother natures shower. Its a battle you just cannot win might as well just enjoy it.

First off where clothes that will keep you dry. Where some comfortable Waterproof boots as well and where 2 pairs of socks.

Make sure you have plenty of towels and a Rosin bag.

I play in the rain all the time and as long as you can keep all your discs dry,champion,Star or any plastic really,you'll be able to throw them with ease.

If it's sprinkling, it's nice to dry your disc before each throw. But, it's it's actually raining hard, your disc will be thoroughly soaked just from the 3 seconds you take to line up your shot with your disc in hand. There's no avoiding that. Just try not to readjust your grip after you've dried your disc. The tiny spot under your thumb will be the only dry spot left.

You also don't have to try the entire disc, just the 1/4 that makes contact with your hand.

Last edited:
Practice in the rain.

Lots of good advice I'm going to parrot: Umbrella, a couple towels, waterproof socks or shoes (or both). Those are the essentials. Other things to think about would be a frog togg type towel; they can be somewhat wet and still suck up some moisture. A rain jacket is important to me, because I'll dry my disc under my umbrella, then hold it under my jacket until I'm ready to throw. Something I haven't done, but should: a scorecard that's unaffected by water. Smart phone apps come to mind.

I usually keep 1 putter somewhere drier than others, and pull it out for big putts. Same for my main driver. I like to get at least 1 dry throw out of each of them after it starts raining before they get drenched too. Putter can sometimes go on a "dry run" and I'll get several throws out of it.

Just accept that everything is gonna be at least moist, learn which discs have a nice grip when wet.

Its been monsoon season here when usually its drought season and me and my friends just say **** it and play in the rain. After a while you stop giving a crap about the discs being wet and learn to throw them wet. Some discs are useless here tho like TI nukes and my champion dominator.

Also hiking boots.

I hear ya man, I see you're in Delaware and we've been getting crushed here in Maryland. I've using vibram in the rain, the trak has been the rubber/grippy version of my TL, and the Lace is just the ****.

Playing in the rain

What do you guys do to prepare for a tourney where rain is almost guaranteed? Its forecast to be 50 and raining, lower 40's to start the day. I'm thinking light layers with dri-fit underneath, plenty of towels, extra shoes and socks, a small umbrella, and hand warmers. What else?

Towels in ziplocs are really helpful. Bag a few for each round, then once one gets saturated you can pull out a fresh dry one. Also, you can hang a towel up under your umbrella for your hands right before each shot. Fresh socks and shoes for the second round are really nice, and it's also nice to have dry shoes and clothes for the ride home afterward.

Personally, I fabricate a family emergency and bail out.

No, actually, I think you have a good list there. Mashnut's right; don't forget the dry stuff for the ride home. I'm a bit of an outcast in that, if I'm going to be wet, I forgo the umbrella and towels and just let myself and my discs get soaked. I just use a hat to keep the rain out of my eyes. I throw a wet disc better than a damp disc, where the grip is uncertain.

An extra-large ziplock for the scorecard is nice, so you can keep the card in the bag and reach your hand into it to record the score.

^^^If you can keep the scorecard dry; you'll be a big hit with your whole card.

When I was younger, I went with the route Mr. Sauls mentioned and just played wet, and did not have to worry about the extra carry around the umbrella and all that. However, those temps you mentioned are probably not very good for a non umbrella round.