• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing divisions above your rating

I'm planning on running a C teir at some point this summer and am going to make a real point in the players meeting that unless someone has somehow signed up for the wrong division I will NOT entertain complaints about "bagging" or "sandbagging" and that I don't even want to hear the term tossed around in jest either in person or on social media. We'll see how it goes.

In other words, to the OP you play wherever the heck you want within the limits of the rules. Don't let anyone else dictate to you where to play.

Let's not ban the use of "bagging", in jest. I was at an event when a teenager won Open, and people yelled it, which was pretty funny since there wasn't a higher level to push him to.

My first win came in my 46th event---I had a tendency to "play up", or at least "play young" in a tougher age-protected division---and of course friends who knew that, hollered "bagger" when my name was called.

I have not been in the tournament scene for very long, first anniversary was last weekend actually, but I originally thought of "bagger" as a term of endearment, haha. Heard people say it early on, then people would laugh and the recipient would smile to the crowd. To me it meant someone who played much better than they usually do, which seems like it would be a good thing. I found out very quickly that I was wrong. I still think it should be a complement, I mean, who calls someone who played poorly a "bagger"?
**Note: This is meant to be a fun anecdote and, yes, I do understand that this term has been used negatively to ruin someone's day. I do not condone that nor do I use the term.

If you are playing your rating, perfect, that is what they are for. If you want to move up early and learn from people whom are statistically better than you, I see the benefit in that too. Moving up too quick can be demoralizing as well when people on your card are bombing 450+ and you are ripping 300 on a good day... been there and it is mentally taxing. It takes a little time but you will figure out where you enjoy playing before long, and until then, just play your rating.

Yeah, people here tend to only move up when they are forced to. Not unusual to see 895 players in Rec in A or B tiers, and 970+ players in Adv.

I played a Rec tourney as an 899 rated guy once (MXG, so 67 person field).

Was funny, cuz part of the way through my first round, one of my cardmates starts a conversation with "hey, did you guys see there's an 899 rated guy playing Rec today?". I snortled. Then I won. Was my last Rec tourney.

tl;dr: I have no shame.

Let's not ban the use of "bagging", in jest. I was at an event when a teenager won Open, and people yelled it, which was pretty funny since there wasn't a higher level to push him to.

My first win came in my 46th event---I had a tendency to "play up", or at least "play young" in a tougher age-protected division---and of course friends who knew that, hollered "bagger" when my name was called.

I get that. However, I think its a matter of knowing your audience. For whatever reason, I've known some folks that are particularly sensitive and while it's real easy to just tell them to get thicker skin OTOH it's occasionally hard to tell if the one yelling bagger is truly joking or not. Probably easier to just avoid the term altogether in some crowds.

tl;dr: I have no shame.

Thats hilarious. I did the same exact thing at GMO. I was at 899 and played Adv the day before and shot Rec rated rounds. Was gnna caddy for a buddy in Rec but one of his cardmates no-showed, and I had cash on hand, so I said screw it and played.

I don't think "learning from better players" is a good reason to play in a division above your rating since, after the first round, you'll be playing with others rated about the same as you, trying to avoid DFL.

Your choice really is: do you want to play for first place or last place in your division?

I don't think "learning from better players" is a good reason to play in a division above your rating since, after the first round, you'll be playing with others rated about the same as you, trying to avoid DFL.

Your choice really is: do you want to play for first place or last place in your division?

I completely agree with the first part.

But only partially with the second. I played "up" (or, frequently, "younger") for a long time for neither reason. I did so for the challenge. And sometimes, to play with specific people, or to play particular tees that I preferred, or just to be in a larger division.

All sorts of reasons someone might choose to play up. As well as good reasons to stay where you belong.

was reading to jump up, but got hurt. On hold for a while. Im sure I will be a sandbagger in a few months

I've never played outside INT (besides at non sanctioned mini's) and have climbed from 890 to 930, and am personally happy to be called a bagger. I'm not leaving the division until I'm forced to by rating or I finally get a win (I have three 2nd places.) I'm ready to play up because I just rather play with players that throw better and know the rules.

My, how things have changed and how fortunate you are to even contemplate such trifles...

Admittedly the fields were much smaller, but back in the day, a single advanced win in a PDGA tournament was sufficient to move one into the professional ranks for good, regardless of skill, interest or dedication level.

At my 'initiation', while surrounded by all the local 'pros' chanting 'Fresh Meat!', I was told by the TD, who was the local disc golf czar at the time, that if I ever wished to participate in any organized competition in that area again, I would be considered a 'professional'. So the farming of 'newer' players has not ended, it has become more elegant and 'principled'...

Fair enough for some, but I knew many players who declined to participate in that community after their initiations, rarely to be seen again...They felt that they, the player, were the 'decider' of why they play disc golf. A professional plays for money, while an amateur plays for 'fun' - also regardless of skill level.

This issue requires some introspection on your part to solve. You have the rudiments of a cost/benefit analysis on your situation and my suggestion would be that your decisions need to be your own, satisfying your own motivations and desires for the game first.

Everyone is Western NY plays WAY over their rating. In fact the majority of tournaments in WNY don't even offer Rec or Novice divisions, and when they do the fields are so small they get pushed into Intermediate the majority of the time. It's discouraged me from playing tournaments at all. There's massive Adv and Int fields but nothing under that, and even those two groups end up with scores that look identical down the board.

It's sad, but the TDs don't care and pay out the top half of the fields. I'd gladly just play for trophy if it meant playing within an even group, but too many players around here want to get paid in plastic. It seems no one has pride in winning, and everyone is called a bagger for playing their real division.

Everyone is Western NY plays WAY over their rating. In fact the majority of tournaments in WNY don't even offer Rec or Novice divisions, and when they do the fields are so small they get pushed into Intermediate the majority of the time. It's discouraged me from playing tournaments at all. There's massive Adv and Int fields but nothing under that, and even those two groups end up with scores that look identical down the board.

It's sad, but the TDs don't care and pay out the top half of the fields. I'd gladly just play for trophy if it meant playing within an even group, but too many players around here want to get paid in plastic. It seems no one has pride in winning, and everyone is called a bagger for playing their real division.

I would make a note about the TD/Event(s) and send it to the PDGA. They could/should easily offer rec or intermediate divisions even if there are only 3 players in each division.

I would make a note about the TD/Event(s) and send it to the PDGA. They could/should easily offer rec or intermediate divisions even if there are only 3 players in each division.

TDs aren't obligated to run any division for which there are less than four competitors. If there are only three signed up for Rec or Novice, they are allowed to cancel the division.

They ARE required to run any division for which there are at least four interested and eligible competitors unless they specifically restrict what divisions they're offering in advance.

Competition Manual 2.01.K

TDs aren't obligated to run any division for which there are less than four competitors. If there are only three signed up for Rec or Novice, they are allowed to cancel the division.

They ARE required to run any division for which there are at least four interested and eligible competitors unless they specifically restrict what divisions they're offering in advance.

Competition Manual 2.01.K

Thx for the clarification. Used to the 3 minimum here in the DFW area.

Just chiming in here to say that I'm a 950 rated player and I only play open. Am I really an open player? No way. But what I get to see and learn watching players who are 1000 rated + is way better than what I would get from playing advanced. I get to learn about consistency, accuracy, shot placement, and how to keep a cool head when playing bad. I know most of the time I'm donating my money but there's still that little part of me that sees these 1000 rated players throw and I know that I throw those shots, just not with their consistency. It fuels me to want to get better and be that 1000 rated guy

Just chiming in here to say that I'm a 950 rated player and I only play open. Am I really an open player? No way. But what I get to see and learn watching players who are 1000 rated + is way better than what I would get from playing advanced. I get to learn about consistency, accuracy, shot placement, and how to keep a cool head when playing bad. I know most of the time I'm donating my money but there's still that little part of me that sees these 1000 rated players throw and I know that I throw those shots, just not with their consistency. It fuels me to want to get better and be that 1000 rated guy

I can see that. But the other side of the coin is stuff like our last week's mini (15 people). I play Rec and judging by the rating given on here I threw a round about 780 and took second to a 790 we beat all but one player in Int and he shot a 920 (beating all Adv. Players). I get playing up can be fun but if abused you can get some crazy scorecards when it's time to hand out tags.

My therory is if you are within a few points and wanna play up or you play up because they don't have your division cool, otherwise play your rating.