• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing Through Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bury it under leaves and enjoy the buffer in play this creates as they spend time looking for it.

I don't bemoan people for jumping in at random places though. For example at one course I play frequently, it's common practice to play the "figure eight" layout and jump onto the adjacent course after hole 8 of the other and jump back on after you finish that 18 hole course. Like the great Van Halen once said, "Mise well jump."

Sounds like Cedarrock Park and Wellspring.

Proper etiquette is let faster groups play through. It is on most of the rules signs that I have seen at courses. I have no problem throwing over people who neglect to let me play through, but I only do that to jerks who need to be humbled. For the most part, people in MN get it, but idiots pop up every so often.

NEVER do this. Don't throw at or near or over anyone ever.

Use your words like a big kid. Do better.

Etiquette bump:

What do you do if someone throws in on you, while your putting out? And it was a thumber that spike hyzered 3 feet from you. You can tell by the impact sound.

They couldnt necessarily see you, blind hole. And they also jumped in at hole 3 in front of the group that was knowingly playing behind you.

What do you do or say?

I'd give them the business, after I un-improved their lie a little bit. Winter rules.

Bury it under leaves and enjoy the buffer in play this creates as they spend time looking for it.

I don't bemoan people for jumping in at random places though. For example at one course I play frequently, it's common practice to play the "figure eight" layout and jump onto the adjacent course after hole 8 of the other and jump back on after you finish that 18 hole course. Like the great Van Halen once said, "Mise well jump."

If a course is not full, I agree. Often, the courses around here have groups playing every hole on the weekends. Things generally move along, and most are good about letting faster, smaller groups play through, but jumpers grind play to a stop. I have no tolerance for getting to wait for someone who feels they should not have to.

Other day I was walking toward tee 1, about to start a round and a guy and a guy comes running through the parking lot with one disc. I thought he was trying to race me to the tee like a child, but then he veered off and went into the sports complex nearby, so I forgot about him.
Warming up, just about to throw, and he is now over my shoulder... "mind if I play through, I'm just running."
Stopped what I was doing and let him play, but I don't know how I feel about this one.

I think the idea of jogging while tossing is cool, but come on. You are playing with one disc (a driver in this case, looked like something high speed, too) for all shots, and how exactly important is it that you hit every hole of you are out here running?
If you are out here to jog and play, then you've determined that jogging is the sport you are engaged in first, DG second.
So, why stop me in the middle of my routine and not just run ahead to the next clear hole?

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but seems silly to run/play a course like that and still expect other people to accommodate you.

Proper etiquette is let faster groups play through. It is on most of the rules signs that I have seen at courses. I have no problem throwing over people who neglect to let me play through, but I only do that to jerks who need to be humbled. For the most part, people in MN get it, but idiots pop up every so often.

this post is drenched in irony

Hey guys, lay off thug for once! He clearly stated that he throws over people because they are the jerks who need to be humbled. Can't argue with that logic ;)

Also, I'm rather fond of his final sentence:

For the most part, people in MN get it, but idiots pop up every so often.

We can all agree that this point has been well demonstrated.

Hahaha you guys act like I am trying to hurt people. I don't throw ON people, I throw OVER them. From like 50 ft out, no danger. The people I throw over are the ones who I ask at the teepad if I can play through, but say no. I real quick piggyback/leapfrog them. And when I outdrive them, they keep their stupid mouths shut. Ten bucks says you guys are the ones who don't let faster groups play through, eh?

Last edited:
Sounds like Cedarrock Park and Wellspring.
Yep. :thmbup:
If a course is not full, I agree. Often, the courses around here have groups playing every hole on the weekends. Things generally move along, and most are good about letting faster, smaller groups play through, but jumpers grind play to a stop. I have no tolerance for getting to wait for someone who feels they should not have to.

I can't remember the last time I played a course that was crowded. :\

Another reason I don't bemoan hole jumpers is I know some old timers that like to play layouts of courses that are reminiscent of the layouts the course was originally in decades ago. This can lead to some hole jumping as well. And then you've got those jogging dudes that someone alluded to above, etc. I guess I feel like if it's a public park course you can't really expect strict course decorum from the general public. Folks are going to let their freak flags fly.

Hahaha you guys act like I am trying to hurt people. I don't throw ON people, I throw OVER them. From like 50 ft out, no danger. The people I throw over are the ones who I ask at the teepad if I can play through, but say no. I real quick piggyback/leapfrog them. And when I outdrive them, they keep their stupid mouths shut. Ten bucks says you guys are the ones who don't let faster groups play through, eh?

I'm calling bull**** on all this anyway... unless you're just throwing on people. In which case, I see someone helping you swallow your teeth in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.