• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing while letting people play through? Yes or No?

Kind of weird when they do that. Usually 9 times out of 10 it is new players that don't understand the "rules". It just doesn't make sense as you both reach the basket at the same time and you are actaully playing with them.

Here is one that irked me. I was playing a course yesterday by myself, and walking from #10 basket to #11 tee with my disc in my hand. There was a slight backup on #1, which was right by where I was making the turn, because there was a foursome of some obviously new players. I mean they were really bad. Anyway, a threesome proceeded to jump in front of me as I was walking to the tee. I could have asked to play through I suppose, but the obvious lack of courtesy turned me off so bad I walked to my car and drove home.

Here is one that irked me. I was playing a course yesterday by myself, and walking from #10 basket to #11 tee with my disc in my hand. There was a slight backup on #1, which was right by where I was making the turn, because there was a foursome of some obviously new players. I mean they were really bad. Anyway, a threesome proceeded to jump in front of me as I was walking to the tee. I could have asked to play through I suppose, but the obvious lack of courtesy turned me off so bad I walked to my car and drove home.

I feel ya. I was playing alone once, and came up on a group of 7. I had seen some of the guys at other tournaments, so these were not newbies. These guys had been playing for years. They saw me walking up, started to make there drives, and then started walking down the fairway and didn't even acknowledge my presence. I was a little pissed. Then they looked back while they were looking for a lost disc, and saw me sitting on the tee, and didn't say anything. That really pissed me off and ruined my day.

I've seen this happen a couple times, and I have let a group play through when then, another group comes up behind them and starts throwing on the both of us. If that happens, I let the first group hole out but might throw on the 2nd group who decided to play through on their own.

I hate it when a group waves us through, then we toss one into the funk while they watch and wait. So we have to wave them past while we search...only to revisit the same awkward situation a hole or two later as we catch back up. Ya know what I mean?

The faster group should always play through unless it is a tournament. It is never fun to feel like someone is rushing you, atleast that is my opinion.

I hate it when a group waves us through, then we toss one into the funk while they watch and wait. So we have to wave them past while we search...only to revisit the same awkward situation a hole or two later as we catch back up. Ya know what I mean?

I do know what you mean. This I have seen.

One thing that surprises me is when I'm looking for a disc and I'll wave a group through, how often they don't throw. I've had this happen a couple of times this year.

I think the most efficient way to play through is to throw your drives as they finish the hole before, let them throw their drives. Walk the fairway together. Let them putt out and go to the next hole. You putt out as soon as their group finishes and get to the next tee about the time they leave. The only problems come in if your group (or theirs) has tons of upshots to make. If that's the case, I think the upshots should be played together, then let them putt out and move on.

If it's a small group, I'll usually play in on that hole, then skip ahead on the next hole. If it's a large group I'll ask to play through, and hole out as fast as I can. Once in a while people will throw on me, and I'll say something to make sure they understand course courtesy. My home course has a lot of newbies so I do try to teach them how to act from time to time (politely of course...untill they earn an ass chewing).

I think the most efficient way to play through is to throw your drives as they finish the hole before, let them throw their drives. Walk the fairway together. Let them putt out and go to the next hole. You putt out as soon as their group finishes and get to the next tee about the time they leave. The only problems come in if your group (or theirs) has tons of upshots to make. If that's the case, I think the upshots should be played together, then let them putt out and move on.

I think this is the best etiquette. I go and play by myself a lot, but when players do this it sometimes ends up with me finishing out the round with them. It's cool to meet people this way, if your group's not huge that single player behind you might actually want to join in.

Throw your drives while they putt out previous hole, let them drive, let them take second shot, walk to drives and putt out.

It all depends on the hole, the hole set up, and how crowded the course is.
The more crowded the course is, the more likely I would be to do it. I have let people play through before and basically just play the hole with them sometimes. Especially if it's just me and another person and we let a single play through....sometimes we just end up joining up and playing together.
That actually happens pretty frequently while i'm playing by myself...a twosome or threesome will just ask me if I want to join up with them as I am playing through, and unless I am in a hurry I usually will...met a lot of cool people that way....

Yep. This has happened to me 3 times or so in the last week. Once it was a course I'd never played before, so the extra company was very helpful.

This happens all the time at my home course. We get a lot of a**hole stoner types (which is strange, normally the stoners are the nice ones) who take forever to play a round. It's only a 9 hole and I'll normally play one or two rounds so when I play after work I will have to play through quite a few groups. They will let me play and then throw as im approaching or putting. Very annoying. I've taken to just skipping the hole and coming back to it with a lot of these groups.

Just yesterday I came upon one such group. 11 people and what looked like a few good players. I was sitting at hole 8 and waited because they were almost done. They acknowledged me but didnt offer to let me play through. No big deal, they were almost done. I birdied the whole and moved up to hole 9. They were moving a decent clip off the tee so I lit a cigarette and waited for them to finish.
After their drives, 3 of them hit trees and ended up sitting behind the basket with multiple trees in the way.
Each one of them threw 3 or 4 discs trying to get around these damned trees. All the while I'm sitting there with my arms crossed just staring. They look back as they all finish the hole and say "sorry dude!"

We walk back up to hole 1 and it looks like both of us are going to play another round, they start teeing off from the freaking parking lot as I'm standing at the damned tee. I said f*** it and went to hole 2.

Oh yeah, on hole 1 the second time some big dude yells out to everyone "Anyone got any beeeeeer? Im all out, ****. Im out of drugs and weed too!"

I think it's fine either way. there have been times that my group and I have drove and as we are walking down the fairway a single pops up. as we are at our discs we tell him to play though, so he drives and we watch it then start our approaches as he comes up to his disc. He finishes the hole with all of us standing around or with our discs around the pin and moves on. by the time we all putt out and make it to the next tee, he's well on his way.

honestly, if you are playing alone you are going to have to put up with some stuff that you may not like as you are the one (ussually) that is altering the pace of play.

Latest posts