• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Power Driver Freak PEEDEE Thread

also after seeing Lizotte's in the bag (where he kicked out the firebird for a flat first run C-PD) I tried out this Pink board flat pearly very rigid C-PD that I actually gave up on and tried to sell at the marketplace.
Interesting. I've not found any of the 3rd run C-lines to really ever be close to the truly beefy 1st runs, much less FB stability, but maybe you got a freak (no pun intended ;)).

My normal PD lineup is a beefy CPD that I can use like a FB (currently a Metal Flake CFR), my beat up shield stamp SPD that's my workhorse driver, and a beat PPD for hyzer flips and easy turnovers. Lately I've also been throwing a newer Freak stamp SPD or a 3rd run CPD in the bag just to have something a bit more overstable than my shield stamp.

Hey, so I'm was loving my first PD (a softish shield stamp SPD) until I lost it :(. Now I'm looking to replace not only that one, but also get a whole lineup of PDs.
I'm new to the world of PDs so before I start buying that lineup, can someone explain to me the difference between freak-stamp SPDs and shield-stamp SPDs? Also the difference between stiff PPDs and softer gummier PPDs? That'd be awesome.
The recent discussion of CPDs on the Ask Discmania thread was super helpful btw

The shield stamped SPD's (old style) were just slightly less stable out of the box than the Freak stamped SPD's. Essentially they were like a lightly beaten in Freak stamp, which is the beauty of the PD imo. As they start to beat in, they just get better and better. These days you'll only find the og shield stamps through people who have hoarded stacks of them and are willing to come off one or two, or getting lucky and finding one floating around for sale on the interwebs, but they're pretty hard to come by. I've found that the higher PLH GPD's tend to be more like the old shield stamps so you could grab one of those instead of trying to track down a shield stamp.

As far as the differences between the gummy and stiffer P-lines, they usually fly the same but the gummy ones tend to beat in a bit slower and chunk less. But for the most part I've found that the flight is pretty consistent for the P-lines.

IMO - gummy P-Lines beat in a ton slower and start much more OS than stiff ones. I have a gummy P-Line that is still a flat flyer with hyzer dump at the end. My stiff P-Lines are a beautiful hyzer flip disc almost out of the box.

Can you even find gummy P-Lines anymore?

The shield stamped SPD's (old style) were just slightly less stable out of the box than the Freak stamped SPD's. Essentially they were like a lightly beaten in Freak stamp, which is the beauty of the PD imo. As they start to beat in, they just get better and better. These days you'll only find the og shield stamps through people who have hoarded stacks of them and are willing to come off one or two, or getting lucky and finding one floating around for sale on the interwebs, but they're pretty hard to come by. I've found that the higher PLH GPD's tend to be more like the old shield stamps so you could grab one of those instead of trying to track down a shield stamp.

As far as the differences between the gummy and stiffer P-lines, they usually fly the same but the gummy ones tend to beat in a bit slower and chunk less. But for the most part I've found that the flight is pretty consistent for the P-lines.

Thanks. What's the difference between the two shield stamp styles (new and old)?

Can you even find gummy P-Lines anymore?
I've not been able to in a while. It's a bummer. Hopefully the DM store finds a stash of them somewhere!

Thanks. What's the difference between the two shield stamp styles (new and old)?
The new stamps are Discmania's departure from the vector style graphics that you would find on their P- and S-line discs (Freak stamp), to a more clean and simple design, similar to the existing C-line stamps.

New style:
PD_Power_Driver_S_Line_Standard.jpg

The old shield stamps were the only S-line PD's that had stamps that resembled the C-line stamp:
PDSshield200.jpg

What year was the PD released? When were the shield stamp originals last ran?

S-Line PDs originally produced in march 2007, failed PDGA approval (rim configuration test)

Then they changed the top to the current "anhyzer" top

In three years, people will be talking about how good those 'freak stamp PDs' flew ... and how you just can't get one like that anymore hah. The reality is, the PD is a pretty consistent mold (hence, it's popularity); the differences between plastics make for a nice range if you like you bag multiples. That being said, I still use the FB - I've seen far too many people search for the FB-stability PD that doesn't exist.

Innova makes a good Firebird-like disc. Forgot what it's called. Glow PD is pretty damned beefy as well though.

I'm with everyone here as long as we can all admit/clarify to those who are new to the mold or stumbling into this thread:

PDs are HSS and have a nice LSF, all plastics and all runs. A straight hyzer flight/finish.

the hairs that us PD "freaks" are splitting are VERY thin.

In three years, people will be talking about how good those 'freak stamp PDs' flew ... and how you just can't get one like that anymore hah. The reality is, the PD is a pretty consistent mold (hence, it's popularity); the differences between plastics make for a nice range if you like you bag multiples. That being said, I still use the FB - I've seen far too many people search for the FB-stability PD that doesn't exist.

this is the exact reason I've been picking up "freak" stamps along with my preferred runs :p

I carry a fb and various PDs. I have few DGR 1st runs and I still like the fb better for the niche role it fills. In casual play I use the PDs in lieu of the fb to get it worn in.

I have a freak stamped s-line I picked up thrashed in a used bin hoping to have one that flies like my broken in PPDs but stay in the sweet spot longer.
But
Its FAF and despite looking 5/10 is more overstable than my high plh CPDs. I bag it sometimes since it fights wind so well and is longer than my xxx, but I figure its not getting replaced easily so I don't want to fall in love with it.

Indeed; and I still bag 3 FBs (Heavy FAF, Light FAF, Heavy 'normal' Star) along with 2-3 PDs (Fresher S-PD, Beat S-PD, Seasoned P-PD). I don't like chasing C-PD runs and prefer my PDs to have a little more distance potential than a FB.

the hairs that us PD "freaks" are splitting are VERY thin.

I tried to replace my PD in my bag, at least for forehand throws, but I am starting to think it is irreplaceable. Luckily I plan on going to the Flying Circus in Dallas in two Mondays and hope to pick up at least 3, since they are doing a buy 2 get 1 free deal.

So because I'm lazy and y'all write a lot, which runs do y'all find to be your favorite? Freak stamp? shield stamp? Shield stamp with C-Line style info on the bottom?

iDiscgolf hooked me up with a S line PD 158g and a P line PD 175g. Both "freak" stamped.

I've only had a chance to throw the S line 158g for a few rounds, but it will definitely be staying in the bag. I was afraid the lighter weight wouldn't hold a line into a headwind, but last weekend I was pleasantly surprised. The PD is so easy to throw and goes exactly where I want. It fills the role I wanted (a slightly longer and more stable eagle or a more reliable valkyrie). I hope to throw the P line 175g soon and do some comparisons. iDiscgolf did tell me that the lighter PD was actually more stable. Currently, the PD is the "fastest" disc in my bag.

edit: I use this as a strictly forehand disc.