• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposing a new course

uncjibble

A friend of mine and I just met with our local Parks and Rec committee and pitched the idea of a disc golf course in our town. The committee was really interested and wants us to collect signatures to take to the town council to help justify funding. Can anyone who has been involved in this process share any pointers or pitfalls? Our next steps are going to be to collect the signatures, start a club, survey the existing parks more in depth for a potential site, and begin working on a formal proposal with specific locations and numbers.

One thing they asked a lot about was how the course would be built. I was kind of hoping the town could come in with the heavy equipment and take care of any major clearings, and volunteers could do a lot of the rest. Is that how its worked in your experience?

Tee pads are expensive.
Other users of the park will fight you, but they will wait until you think everything is fine.
The town will probably help minimally in building fairways, so have lots of volunteers.
Also make sure they know it is their responsibility to mow the fairways.

Where are you located? It would be good to bring in someone with experience in your area to help with the proposal and design.

I'm in Garner, NC. In a perfect world the town would pay for a professional design but if not I'd definitely reach out to some of the people around here. I'm going to try to contact some of the clubs around here, especially the one in Cary that just got the course at middle creek put in. Plus Im going to start a Garner club because the committee really wanted to see local support. I think I know enough people that play around here to get it started initially, but if anyone is in the Garner/Southeast Wake County area and wants to help out, we need all the help we can get!

We have a ton of disc golf in the Triangle, but theres a big hole in Southeast Wake County where there's no courses and I think Garner sees the opportunity to build a course.

You definitely have enough experienced clubs and designers in your area you can tap so good luck in your project.

I saw the petition at Middle Creek three days ago. I was the only person who had signed so I think it just went up. Man I hope they build one over there because they have the land to make some nasty courses.

Contact Kirk Yoo (he lives very nearby in Knightdale). He is spent years and years in the area developing relationships with parks folks. He might be able to give some good tips and point you in the right direction. PM me if you want me to put you in contact.