• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Public Perception of Disc Golf

Cinque

Par Member
I've been keeping up on the hilarity caused by the "Happy Endings" show. First it was the phone call from the TV studio, then it was the announcement by the PDGA to the disc golf community. The show aired, then the defensive comments were shared and immediately the insults were hurled. Now we have two videos, an "apology" from part of the cast and a rebuttal from Val and Nate.

I must say it's all been extremely entertaining, but it also got me thinking.

How did this disc golfer stereotype enter the minds of the public? We know there are hippies out there digging a day of throwing saucers up in the air. We also know there are serious players practicing their sport, but why do the oblivious believe our sport is full of losers with nothing better to do?

I've seen old videos and pictures of disc golf in the 70s and the pioneers of our sport didn't look like hippies. I've heard some early interviews and they didn't strike me as "losers."

So why do these negative views exist?

I've never heard things like, "Losers! You throw a ball at a ball," when the sport of Bocce ball is brought up. I've never heard any insults directed at professional horse shoe players, dart enthusiasts or billiard players.

So, how? Was there a movie in the '80s I don't know about? Any thoughts?

I believe when the sport started they put disc golfers in the same category as surfers.

i honestly don't think disc golf as a sport is even on the public's radar to have a general opinion about. i think individuals form an opinion on it based on how they are exposed to it even existing, either positively or negatively.

I think Dungeons and Dragons is stupid as hell but there are plenty of people out there that will try and prove me wrong.

Disc golf is cheap and unorganized which is a magnet for losers. If they could smoke a blunt and drink a 40 of OE while playing organized football, they probably would.

People CONFUSE us as being the same frisbee tossing hippies they saw at Woodstock...Disc Golf is different and not everyone realizes this. When I hand people a DG disc, they note the major differences from a REGULAR FRISBEE...it happens everytime. Ever wonder why noobs tend to start throwing at around 150'? Because there is so much technique involved. I can THROW a golf ball farther that I could hit one...because I LACK THE TECHNIQUE...no matter, they will still look at us as unskilled lay-abouts.

Last edited:
Did you see the Eminem thread recently. Those folks did us no justice in public perception.
On the other hand, I don't particularly care what others think of the sport. I find that when people see me and ask about the sport I can give a good name for DG. Others have the mentality of the sport is just something to do while getting buzzed. I don't hold it against them, that is their own thing. I'm happy with the growth of the sport. I don't think we need some big PR campaign to "change perceptions".

I'm going to throw out the most nauseating response, but it is appropriate: "It is what it is"

Darts, horshoes, bocce, and pool are usually played for money by a large portion of the playing population. SO gambling is the main thing associated with those, not Pro players or "sport" in my opinion.

As for the hippie thing, well the largest portion of disc golfers would still be found with a green substance in their possession and are not afraid to mention or show it.

I think Dungeons and Dragons is stupid as hell but there are plenty of people out there that will try and prove me wrong.

Disc golf is cheap and unorganized which is a magnet for losers. If they could smoke a blunt and drink a 40 of OE while playing organized football, they probably would.

This whole post is Gold

A Frisbee is a toy that most people fling around for fun in the backyard or beach or park. No skill, no technique - just a fun little thing to do. The idea of making a golf game out of it with the image most people have of what is Frisbee is and how it is used is indeed weird. I'm sure this is a big part of it.

It is ignorance of what disc golf really is that causes this, but I do not find it too surprising. There are lots of things in life a segment of the population loves that others find lame and for losers. All sorts of things like NASCAR to LARPing come to mind.

Paul Charchian on KFAN has tried disc golf several times and has given some good air time on the radio discussing the sport. He has been very honest and non-judgmental about it. However, whenever he posts anything on Facebook about going out and or his thoughts on the sport, there are always those who post some drug related joke or rant about how Paul is being misled. I fired back a few times of Facebook and people become very defensive about their position of disc golf being a non-sport made for losers and drug addicts.

What makes it worse is that whether they are being honest or not, their online identity responds by saying that they do partake in drugs, that disc golf is just a casual activity, and should be treated only as such. This perception that is posted for everyone to see (and Paul has thousands of FB friends because he is a radio celebrity) only reinforces this negative and incorrect stereotype. I do not truly believe those who are posting about taking drugs and playing, why would you seriously announce this for everyone to see, unless you were just doing it to attack the sport.

What bothers me is that there are individuals out there who make the effort to bash the sport. Why except for selfish reasons to make yourself look like you have a valued and informed opinion when you really don't.

No one in Germany knows about this sport at all. I've been trying to promote it and spread it but it's tough when no one has ever even heard of it.

(I'm studying abroad for a year)

We can petition to be put on the list of "targets" for Bullying Awareness Week.

BAW_Logo_Med.jpg

A lot of people know about the sport not through media, but solely through a family member or co-worker that plays. I do not believe there is a general consensus on the perception of the sport by non-players. Rather, I think it is as varied as the personalities of the family members or co-workers that play.

Public Perception of Disc Golf= ?confused blank stare?

I generally don't bring it up if I don't have to...even saying things like "I'm going somewhere to do something until later".....maybe thats why the public thinks disc golf is so shady

I generally don't bring it up if I don't have to...even saying things like "I'm going somewhere to do something until later".....maybe thats why the public thinks disc golf is so shady
same. i'll play 144+ holes of DG in a weekend sometimes and when my coworkers ask i what i did on sat/sun: "not much, hung out" :|

No one in Germany knows about this sport at all. I've been trying to promote it and spread it but it's tough when no one has ever even heard of it.

(I'm studying abroad for a year)

This has nothing to do with your thread, but this story is too good not to share.

When we were in New Zealand last year visiting family, I bumped into 3 college girls from Germany that were on a working vacation. They had heard of the game from patrons at the hotel they worked at, and were trying to figure out how to play. I let them use my discs, showed them a few pointers, and we had a great time playing the front 9 together.

Then my wife showed up and gave me the dirtiest look I've ever seen in my life.

Awkward. :doh:

This has nothing to do with your thread, but this story is too good not to share.

When we were in New Zealand last year visiting family, I bumped into 3 college girls from Germany that were on a working vacation. They had heard of the game from patrons at the hotel they worked at, and were trying to figure out how to play. I let them use my discs, showed them a few pointers, and we had a great time playing the front 9 together.

Then my wife showed up and gave me the dirtiest look I've ever seen in my life.

Awkward. :doh:
HA!!!

A lot of people know about the sport not through media, but solely through a family member or co-worker that plays. I do not believe there is a general consensus on the perception of the sport by non-players. Rather, I think it is as varied as the personalities of the family members or co-workers that play.

Agreed. If someone is a dink that likes to bash other peoples' interests, he'll probably do it for disc golf or bocce or D and D or anything else too. I feel like by pretending you weren't disc golfing or not bringing up a huge part of our lives, we do the sport a serious disservice. Not everyone will react positively but for the most part, everyone I've told about Disc Golf has at least been politely intrigued. About 6 of them bought discs and started playing too, so tell everyone and don't be ashamed and the sport will grow. If we act like a round of disc golf is akin to clubbing baby seals people will continue to be wary of it.