• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Public Perception of Disc Golf

Again, where the f&%@ do you all live? There are a dozen courses within the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area. And with the exception of the rare case at just one course, not all of the courses mind you, just the one, do I ever see these shirtless, jobless DBs that that seem so prevalent everywhere else.

I live in Tennessee (cue the no shirts/shoes and jorts jokes) and we see this regularly. That being said, I have played in Rochester, NY and do not remember this to be the case. At Joseph Davis (this was about 4-5 years ago) there were some of these kids running around without shirts, 2 discs and stopping to make out with their girlfriends at every basket. They were just high school kids so I write it off typically. Having played in numerous states now, I can say that I notice these players most of the time. At Blue Ribbon Pines in Minnesota there was a group swimming in each little pond and they were all drunk. We ran into them on 3 seperate holes. In short, I know it was hot that day, but these guys weren't even really playing. They were just swimming. That's just one example, but I have run into these types in a lot of different regions of the country.

That being said, the disc golf popularity explosion in Middle Tennessee is in full effect. Most people now have heard of and seen people playing disc golf. Unfortunately, popularity brings more of these types of players to the course. My home course used to be considered crowded when on the weekend there were 10 cars in the lot. Now, there are about 30-45 everytime I have been out this year. And the "one-disc wonders" are everywhere. I am hoping an easier course will be planted in my town and then the newbies will become fond of it.

As for the smoking dope part of the argument, nobody likes a snitch, but the more the popularity of the sport grows and the more people come out to play, the probability of a snitch increases...a lot.

At Blue Ribbon Pines in Minnesota there was a group swimming in each little pond and they were all drunk. We ran into them on 3 seperate holes. In short, I know it was hot that day, but these guys weren't even really playing. They were just swimming. That's just one example, but I have run into these types in a lot of different regions of the country.

Being that I play this course regularly, I found the image funny. Obviously I cannot deny that it happens, as I can totally see it, but it does not happen often. I think you just had the perfect timing to see this.

I am not contesting your overall point. I guess if anything I am defending BRP in particular here. They have a rule that if you are in the water you better be SEARCHING for your disc. If you are doing anything besides looking for YOUR disc, you are banned from the course. They are very concerned about their image there, not only because they want to come across as a premier course that can be held up as what serious disc golf can look like but they have seen what happens to the other big courses in the area like Acorn and Kaposia.

I guess in reality I am defending your overall point by sticking up for BRP. By saying that even premier courses like BRP that are proactive in the sport occassionally suffer from people who make bad decisions.

Here in Lexington, home of the University of Kentucky, whenever it's nice and sunny out and above 70-75 the shirts come off. You gotta get that tan you know to impress the hotties on campus. What better activity than to pair it with some frolf with your bros. :thmbup: :hfive:

I hope that answers your "Where the *&#$ do you live?" question.

You wanna know how I got into discgolf? My shirtless college frolfer friends. Back then I thought it sounded like the most retarded thing ever. For one thing I didn't play frisbee but on the other hand I did like hiking and being outside so I decided to entertain them and play some frolf with them. The rest is history. I got into the competitive side of it and they drifted away from playing.

frolf frolf frolf

Here in Lexington, home of the University of Kentucky, whenever it's nice and sunny out and above 70-75 the shirts come off. You gotta get that tan you know to impress the hotties on campus. What better activity than to pair it with some frolf with your bros. :thmbup: :hfive:

I hope that answers your "Where the *&#$ do you live?" question.

You wanna know how I got into discgolf? My shirtless college frolfer friends. Back then I thought it sounded like the most retarded thing ever. For one thing I didn't play frisbee but on the other hand I did like hiking and being outside so I decided to entertain them and play some frolf with them. The rest is history. I got into the competitive side of it and they drifted away from playing.

frolf frolf frolf

Hey, young guys everywhere take off their shirts to impress the ladies and get that tan. Its not the shirtlessness that I meant to say was a problem, but the jobless, drunk, in your face smokers, vandals and losers that seem to be everywhere but in Western NY. Love hearing someone use the word frolf. My wife uses it all the time. Another thing to NOT get panties in a bunch over. Its also quite common for folk around these parts to call disc golf discs frisbees either. And I'm not talking about weekend warriors.

I just explained what disc golf was to a potential employer in a job interview. It probably helped that I compared the complexities to that of golf and I was wearing a suit and tie. He seemed to be receptive of the idea lol.

As for roudy participants/crowds, how does disc golf compare to the drunks that attend football games all painted and dressed up? Or even the athletes themselves who go to jail for various reasons, get involved with drugs, or do other such stupid things?

The public perception is a non issue, it's all in how you explain it to people. More people than you'd think partake in smoking it just is apparent n disc golf because some people carry one disc to the back of a course and smoke.

The players who do like to smoke and drink on the course are the ones who should be the most concerned about keeping litter from building up and discreteness when it comes to puffing. The police aren't stupid and know that people drink/smoke on disc golf courses (as well as ball golf courses), but we mainly play on public land and they'll be forced to address the issue if citizens complain or litter builds up.

So...if you enjoy a smoking/drinking while playing it's in your own best interest to pick up beer cans and ask weed smokers to be discrete when they're flaunting it. The players who don't do it aren't going to lose anything if a police officer is patrolling the course.

I guess in reality I am defending your overall point by sticking up for BRP. By saying that even premier courses like BRP that are proactive in the sport occassionally suffer from people who make bad decisions.

I definitely would not dispute this. I simply used BRP because it is a private course and it furthers my assertion that this kind of behavior happens a lot of places...even at "upscale" courses. It may not occur that often in Western NY, but I have seen it many different places. I don't play in tourneys, but I always laugh when I am finishing a round before one of the local tourneys start. You have the guys in the dri-fit Innova polos with towels that are recently pressed who are very concerned with their stretching...and making sure others are watching them stretch. Then you have the guy in cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirt and a fish-net Rusty Wallace hat carrying his tall-boy because it would spill if left in the typical bag drink-holder. And then there's tie-dyed shirt guy.

Disc Golf - bringing washed-up jocks, hippies and hillbillies together since the 70s.

Please remember to insert some slight sarcasm into the last sentence.

To give the simple answer- college.

Many courses seem to be around campus areas. College is when many whites are broke for the first time so many gravitate towards the poser hippie look.

My gf's college ex was her intro to dg. He was a scrub that wore tye dye so that was her preception.

I have seen more people get into the sport because of the Wii, and Playstation 3, introducing Disc Golf to the public. It will never truly grow though, till we get more courses in more places. There are almost no courses in East Houston, and the area around there, where I grew up, and most people there give you a strange look if you even mention disc golf, and most of them would have to drive at least 18-20 miles to get to a course. If you can get it where most people can drive just down the street to play, it will change.

I am slowly trying to get my Church to install at least a 6-9 hole course. Not a lot of property there, but I might make something work. Right now, I have to drive at least 11 miles just to play, and the other course near me, went private. If I could get something 5 miles away, it would be great.

I dunno.....

I got the (arguably) snootiest town in the area to pony up the dough and put a course in their town. Even the local police chief gave the idea a thumbs up.

Most of the people who say "disc golf is for losers" are people who are just hip enough to be completely ignorant on every subject under the sun.

While the most common reaction to my mentioning disc golf is the blank stare, people of all ages and walks of life have said "yeah I know someone who plays that.....all the time."

^You make a really good point. I think most of the people out there very actively pushing the sport are acting like we are the red headed stepchild of ball golf. If people were more proactive and 'duh' about the sport, it would garner respect from non players.

A member here's sig here has something along the lines of 'When you tell others that you play disc golf, assume they are are familiar with the sport.' I can't tell you how true that is. If you go through explaining it as 'ohhh, well you throw frisbees at these chain things,' it will ALWAYS come off as the latest and hippest version of Dungeons and Dragons. Explain your game and competition and let THEM feel dumb for not knowing what it is.

I think a good approach to city councils is more along the lines of 'omg! We don't just need one of these now, we need several! and now! Before it blows up because you KNOW it will!' Instead I think its still the approach of 'well, we really need it, and it gets rid of gays and bums, poor people like it, and please please pretty please let us have 20 acres of the park pleeeeease.' Being proactive and positive and CONFIDENT about the sport will go a long way for us.

It's plain ignorance. And yes the hippie stereo type is true. There are a lot of players who still smoke that green stuff while playing

What is worse are the dudes that take it too seriously. Asking people to leave the course on league days.

Latest posts