• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter that won't roll down hills?

Rbuzz9

Eagle Member
I've been using hard Magnets lately and i like them - i play at some hilly courses and ive just had the misfortune of having a putter land near the basket on approach then they will hit something small and will just roll away. Same thing happened with Wizards i was using before.

Is this just sheer bad luck that comes with playing on hilly courses? as putters certainly do look like the perfect disc to just keep on rolling. Is there a putter/plastic (FLX comes to mind) that will just stay? Or in these situations would it be smart to approach with something else less likely to roll after falling? I'll approach with a friggin Boss if it'll sit still but i'd prefer a putter type disc.

Not a fan of having a should be drop in 3's turn into 5's

I've been using hard Magnets lately and i like them - i play at some hilly courses and ive just had the misfortune of having a putter land near the basket on approach then they will hit something small and will just roll away. Same thing happened with Wizards i was using before.

Is this just sheer bad luck that comes with playing on hilly courses? as putters certainly do look like the perfect disc to just keep on rolling. Is there a putter/plastic (FLX comes to mind) that will just stay? Or in these situations would it be smart to approach with something else less likely to roll after falling? I'll approach with a friggin Boss if it'll sit still but i'd prefer a putter type disc.

Not a fan of having a should be drop in 3's turn into 5's

I use a Soft Magnet and it doesn't seem to roll at all.

Gateway's SSS (Super Stupid Soft) putters dont roll really beat it in a little bit and they just stick they fold over like a taco if it lands on its edge recommend Wizards but magics, voodoos and warlocks are good to its all prefrence.

I imagine a blowfly won't roll much either.

Cool Cool - i had S wizards and the hard Magnets seem to like to bounce around - im guessing softer would be better

i do own a FLX Challenger - maybe ill bring that around and see what happens before i go ahead and buy discs.

Cool Cool - i had S wizards and the hard Magnets seem to like to bounce around - im guessing softer would be better

i do own a FLX Challenger - maybe ill bring that around and see what happens before i go ahead and buy discs.

I have an FLX Challenger and I hate it. It can't take snap for ****, which limits it completely to putting (the FLX plastic wobbles and folds up when you drive it hard which causes it to flip uncontrollably). I've had mine roll away on me tons before. I don't think the FLX plastic is going to help with the rolling.

That being said, I love the model, just not the plastic. I'm ordering a Pro-D Challenger to see if I like it better.

If the hill is steep enough it will roll. I missed a two the other day with a SSS Magic and it rolled about 90 feet away down the hill for a bogey. I've even had it "taco" but bounce up and still roll, it just acted as a spring on the bounce. They do roll less, but nothing is roll proof. Also sometimes you have to be careful in windy conditions when using a SSS or other floppy disc.
I carry a SS Magic and SSS Magic. I despise the blowfly

edit: Also I've used both a SSS Magic and a FLX buzzz as a roller disc. In tall grass I still got 200+ feet. There is a lot of people that throw putters or midranges as roller discs.

the trick isnt so much the plastic type, its the throw.

what i do is fairly simple. if its hilly and has a chance to roll, i make a choice. if i know i can't guarantee hitting metal, i lay it up and make sure to land it flat.

Most putters will roll, even the soft plastics although not as bad usually. The Turbo Putter and 10m Brick probably roll the least of any discs, but the Turbo Putter is not PDGA approved anymore, and the 10m Brick is just weird.

I dont have much of a problem with my putters rolling.....actually I cant remember the last time it has happened to me. I watch it happen to alot of other guys though and I like it!

there are two times that stick out when the area around the basket where the approach landed was actually flat and the Magnet just felt like rolling around which then proceeded to roll right out of close putting range.

i understand if the basket is on a decent incline - it can be a crapshoot for any disc to stay put

165-169 Soft Magnets tend to be very soft and don't tend to roll down hill. I carry a Soft Magnet for hills and situations when I want my disc to stick.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you wouldn't like Renny in Charlotte, NC. Unless you like putting at a basket with a 30' drop on the other side.

My SSS Wizard is like the friggin Lewis and Clark of the DGC. It just rolls through the woods exploring any and all crappy place to stop...I am surprised it hasn't plopped down in a pile of bear $h-t yet.

Latest posts