• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

putting expectations?

UCC Wizard

So I just got a discatcher sport to try and work on my putting. I've watched vids of the pro tournaments and it seems like these guys drain everything from inside 50'.

My experience so far has obviously been somewhat different :D

I have been setting up at 7-8 yards (what looks close enough for me to expect to make consistently), and I seem to be struggling to make over 60-70% at that distance.

At around 22-24', whats a decent percentage for a range of competitive players?

From Ken Climo's web page:

Here are some general putting goals I've set up for any player: 15 footers – you need to hit every one. 20 footers you need to hit 80%. 25 footers – you need to hit more than half. And try and make at least half of your 30 footers. Make anything outside 30 feet and it's a bonus whether you're a pro or an am.

...and that's straight from the Champ!

From Ken Climo's web page:

Here are some general putting goals I've set up for any player: 15 footers – you need to hit every one. 20 footers you need to hit 80%. 25 footers – you need to hit more than half. And try and make at least half of your 30 footers. Make anything outside 30 feet and it's a bonus whether you're a pro or an am.

...and that's straight from the Champ!

This gives me hope that one day I can actually be competitive.

Start out at 15 feet with 5 putters, putt from there until you hit them all. Once you hit all 5 in a row, take a step back... then stay there until you hit all 5 in a row. Continue doing that everyday for 30 minutes to an hour a day, take a break when you get bored, frustrated, or sore.. You'll be solid in no time.

put a ton of focus inside of the circle, especially ~20ftrs. part of the success in hitting longer putts is having confidence to give a solid run and not worry about missing the comeback.

Start out at 15 feet with 5 putters, putt from there until you hit them all. Once you hit all 5 in a row, take a step back... then stay there until you hit all 5 in a row.

Haha, this is funny. I randomly started at 22' cause it looked pretty makeable to me. I have 6 putters total and was throwing them non stop as soon as I got the basket set up after getting home from work.

Pretty quickly I decided I wasnt going inside till I had hit all 6 in a row! Until it got so dark i couldnt see crap, and inside I went with my tail between my legs. Family looking at me like I was Richard Dreyfus in "Close Encounters"

Haha, this is funny. I randomly started at 22' cause it looked pretty makeable to me. I have 6 putters total and was throwing them non stop as soon as I got the basket set up after getting home from work.

Pretty quickly I decided I wasnt going inside till I had hit all 6 in a row! Until it got so dark i couldnt see crap, and inside I went with my tail between my legs. Family looking at me like I was Richard Dreyfus in "Close Encounters"

I have done this before - and I get bored / frustrated and eventually give up.

I'm much happier now with the JYLY putting game. Gets me 100 putts (plus a few warm ups) each day and gives me stats so I can see where I am solid....and not.

put a ton of focus inside of the circle, especially ~20ftrs. part of the success in hitting longer putts is having confidence to give a solid run and not worry about missing the comeback.

Agree with this. The key to good putting is confidence hands down. I also bought more putters and a 2nd basket. I got tired of picking up putters and then having to walk away again. I set them up around 35 feet apart. I walk to basket grab putters and turn around, repeat, rinse and lather.

I'll add this, because it's helped me tremendously;

No matter where you putt from, if you miss, PUTT OUT YOUR MISSES! Even if they're right under the basket. It's given me the confidence, during actual rounds, to run chains. If I miss I know that I can typically make a come-back.

Start where you can make putts 100% and when you practice from that range make sure you hit dead center each time. Then start to work your way out. I used that mentality last summer and it improved my putting game a lot.

I have done this before - and I get bored / frustrated and eventually give up.

I'm much happier now with the JYLY putting game. Gets me 100 putts (plus a few warm ups) each day and gives me stats so I can see where I am solid....and not.

This, fwiw 20' is almost exactly 6m.

No matter where you putt from, if you miss, PUTT OUT YOUR MISSES! Even if they're right under the basket. It's given me the confidence, during actual rounds, to run chains. If I miss I know that I can typically make a come-back.

Also this. I do not always do this while playing the game because that would add 40 or so more putts to my 100 but always do in my less structured practice

Last edited:
I'll add this, because it's helped me tremendously;

This. It's the difference between a Pro and an Am player. A pro player KNOWS they will make the comeback putt if they miss.

So I just got a discatcher sport to try and work on my putting. I've watched vids of the pro tournaments and it seems like these guys drain everything from inside 50'.

My experience so far has obviously been somewhat different :D

I have been setting up at 7-8 yards (what looks close enough for me to expect to make consistently), and I seem to be struggling to make over 60-70% at that distance.

At around 22-24', whats a decent percentage for a range of competitive players?

You should expect to make every putt you attempt. So much so, that when you're lining up to putt, make/miss isn't a part of your thought process at all. It should be a foregone conclusion that the putt will go in because you trust your motion and mechanics.

Find a comfortable, repeatable motion. Do it the same way every time, a lot of times. From there it's almost all mental.

So much so, that when you're lining up to putt, make/miss isn't a part of your thought process at all. It should be a foregone conclusion that the putt will go in because you trust your motion and mechanics.

So true. If you think you'll miss, you already have.

one thing that changed my putting from terrible to pretty solid was breathing. breath in then exhale on your putt/follow through. that was a game changer for me and it is something you don't hear a lot.

Latest posts