• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question about teeing order

BlueMonk

Par Member
Is throwing first off the tee considered an advantage by most players?

I'm a relatively new player (playing for just over a year), so I'm not sure if my opinion is shared by many others, but I would rather not be first to throw from the tee. I prefer to watch how the weather conditions affect the flight of another player's disc before I throw. So it seems odd to me that my "reward" for fewest strokes on a hole is to throw first on the next one; it feels more like a penalty than a privilege.

I know the throwing order is decided the same way in ball golf, so I assume disc golf just carried the rule over. But I'm interested to know if there's more to it.

In tennis, serving is a huge advantage, but it's a matter of taking turns, so both sides get to do it equally. In volleyball, winning a point means you serve again, except in that sport, serving is a big disadvantage. This actually keeps games closer between unevenly-matched opponents, since the weaker side will have lots more chances to receive than serve. Is being first to tee actually keeping things closer in disc golf, too?

I sort of doubt anyone had all these things in mind when making the rules of disc golf, but I thought I'd ask.

Throwing first is not an advantage, just a concept borrowed from golf, right?

Maybe it should be reversed; best score from previous hole throws LAST.

I've always preferred to tee last. Teeing first I always feel rushed to get to the tee, find the right disc and throw and get out of the way. Last gives time for a sip of water, plus you get to see what the wind does to the others' throws.

I've always preferred to tee last. Teeing first I always feel rushed to get to the tee, find the right disc and throw and get out of the way. Last gives time for a sip of water, plus you get to see what the wind does to the others' throws.

I feel exactly the opposite. By the time the last person tees everyone is picking up their bag and anxious to go to their discs. I feel like I'm holding everyone up when i'm BoB

If I tee first and place a shot next to the pin, I've just added extra pressure to all of my competitors after me.

If it's windy I hate having the top of the box, but my mental game is weak sauce, so BoB sucks too. I've never felt the rushed feeling that banbury describes but have heard others express this sentiment.

Both have disadvantages and luck involved.

When you tee first, you are the "wind dummy" being the first to see how discs or holes react to the wind. This also applies to things like distances on holes not being correct or seeing the way a green skips, etc.

Throwing last can add pressure to you - if your entire card throws horrible shots, it can sometimes be hard to execute. Or if the card has all thrown great shots, the same reaction can occur.

And of course things like wind gusts, etc are complete luck and the player has no control over when they happen, but they can affect individual circumstances.

Personally, I like to throw last if given the choice.

Any advantage of teeing after some or all of your card is miniscule. You still have to throw your shot, and the way you attack the hole may be completely different the way your card mates do. It gives you a little information at best, which might not even be useful.

The only time I think first is a disadvantage is if it's really windy, but not in the immediate vicinity of the tee box - like you are throwing from the woods into an open field.

Personally, I like having the box. Just a confidence thing. Also, seeing 2 other people drill that tree 15 ft from the box makes you more likely to do the same thing.

There's another major advantage to teeing off later.

Especially towards the end of a round, there can be a huge benefit to seeing what your opponent does before executing your own shot. Having more information available to you can help you make better decisions about when to play it safe and when you need to be aggressive.

I suspect the tradition evolved in golf from match play which was the primary format played in competition in the early years. As mentioned earlier, the thinking in match play in most sports where it's done is to go first when given the choice. And the tradition continued into medal play where the "honor" goes to the player who shot better on the previous hole. My thought would be if you really have the honor, you should get to choose your teeing position on the next hole whether first, last or maybe after the other left-hander/forehander tees if that's your throwing spin.

If I win the flip I always decline box. Especially in a playoff. No reason to do otherwise, last throw is a clear advantage.

Depending on who you're playing with and the conditions, either spot has both advantages and disadvantages.

If I'm doing well, I'll have the box and I know if I make a good shot, it helps my momentum and it might make whom ever is following me think a little harder, and hopefully get in his head.

^^^ Not that teeing first is a huge disadvantage, but why build into the rules any hint of a runaway leader mechanic where the "winner" of the last hole has the best chance to win the next hole? They already have the boost of confidence, let them be the wind dummies and/or give them the pressure of playing the hole first and giving their opponents the opportunity to play tactically.

There's another major advantage to teeing off later.

Especially towards the end of a round, there can be a huge benefit to seeing what your opponent does before executing your own shot. Having more information available to you can help you make better decisions about when to play it safe and when you need to be aggressive.
Good point.

I think throwing last is clearly an advantage, as you can see not just what the wind is doing but also how fast the surface is playing. Any advantages to throwing first are purely mental and pretty much negated by having a good mental game.

I also believe that throwing last for the top pros is a huge advantage. If you are on a card with 3 of the best players in the world and all of them leave their drive 30 feet short, you should probably adjust to throw 30 feet longer. The chances that 3 top players throw the same bad shot are pretty darn low, versus the chance that the hole is playing differently than expected.

I always thought having to go first was a disadvantage meant to lower scoring spreads and make for more exciting competition.

I feel exactly the opposite. By the time the last person tees everyone is picking up their bag and anxious to go to their discs. I feel like I'm holding everyone up when i'm BoB

Me too

It adds weird stress to my game

If I tee first and place a shot next to the pin, I've just added extra pressure to all of my competitors after me.

I think this is why we take the tee pad first after winning a hole. It gives the player an opportunity to set the bar for the rest of the card. I hear time and time again, commentators mention this. For example Paul will land his drive 25 feet out from the basket, and they say Ricky will be trying to get closer because he doesn't want to be putting at a farther distance, or whatever their reason is. I think there's pressure regardless of where you tee off though. Be it setting the bar, or matching or passing your card mates drives.