• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question about teeing order

Interesting conversation. To me it seems like there is a real, objective advantage in not going first due to:

- Getting to see how the wind, and other course conditions effects the shot.
- Having more information, especially toward the end of the round, about what your opponent did, so you can react appropriately. e.g. If you are one stroke up and the opponent parks it, you will want to attempt to get a birdie, rather than going for a safe Par.

But then the Psychological aspects are pretty unique to the individual. Personally, I feel like I get in a groove when I go first repeatedly, and might stay hot longer, and have more confidence.

The player throwing last simply has more information---on the wind, distances, other course factors, as well as what his opponents have done. Whether he benefits from it, or makes bad decisions based on it, he at least has more information.

I suspect the actual advantage or disadvantage is very slight.

I prefer to tee in the middle ex. 2 of 3, 3 of 4, or 4 of 5. I plan on seeing if some of the people in the league will try out my theory if letting the winner choose when to tee to see how that option would play out and gather data on whether there was any corolations between when a person teed off and how difficult the hole is.

I always prefer to tee first. I guess I'm in the minority.
Know your throw. Throw with confidence.
People put pressure on themselves, not vice versa.

I can dig the reasons that have been given for it being an advantage to throw BOB.
For me, though, I do consider it a minor victory to throw first because I had the better score on the previous hole. It's kind of a game within the game thing for me & my discing buddies, albeit unspoken.

I like having the box initially in almost any scenario. Having the box means I outdid my competitors on the last hole, which gives me some confidence when making the next shot off the tee. If I know I just did well on the last hole a 400 foot shot over water isn't going to phase me as much as it would have had I say just thrown a crappy drive off the tee out of bounds and missed a comeback putt for double bogey on the previous hole. Windy holes are kinda just meh, I prefer throwing overstable stuff in the open field or if there's a line for it anyway so wind generally doesn't affect my game too much.

Last edited:
Its not like conditions are a complete surprise before seeing a person throw in front of you. I rather throw first and not have time to second guess myself but I am not good so yeah.

I don't really buy into the wind dummy concept when it comes to teeing last being an advantage. The reason being that unless you really know your card mates plastic and throwing style it is often hard to know whether it is wind or form or the wear on the disc that has made a throw behave a certain way.

If Mcbeth is watching Simon throw he can get a read on the wind because he's thrown a bunch of rounds with Simon and knows both his discs and how he throws them. If I am playing with other AMs and watch the first guy turn over his destroyer it may mean headwind but it may also be poor disc selection or him OATing the heck out of it.

I generally prefer to throw last. Not due to any advantage but simply due to laziness. I walk quickly from basket to tee, typically arriving at the tee before my group. Therefore if I am teeing last, I get to spend more time resting my weary bones on the bench. If the hole has no bench, I could care less what order I throw.

I like throwing first. I want to set the bar. If I have the box for a while it means I'm playing well and I like to keep the flow going. I hate going last because it means I'm not playing well and that's not where I want to be. It is and should be an honor to go first. On very few occasions have I changed my disc selection because of wind after watching others throw. I really try and only focus on the shot at hand so going first is a fresh mental canvas for me.

I don't really buy into the wind dummy concept when it comes to teeing last being an advantage. The reason being that unless you really know your card mates plastic and throwing style it is often hard to know whether it is wind or form or the wear on the disc that has made a throw behave a certain way.

It depends a bit on the course, and how much wind is involved.

When the wind down the fairway can be significantly different than on the tee, and on hilly courses where winds swirl, it can tip you off that the wind is blowing in an entirely different direction than you assumed. I frequently play a course that has a number of holes like this, and tends to be windier than other area courses.

But admittedly, it's a very modest advantage.

I always thought it was a minor disadvantage to the first thrower just because they are testing the conditions, wind, skip, distance... Really it isn't much but I have adjusted after seeing other player's throws. For that reason, and with what I have heard from ball golf, it is meant to be a disadvantage to keep the players closer in play. The person shooting the best round will probably have the first tee most often giving them a slight disadvantage which may keep the scores closer across the card. This could all be crap; maybe it is just a respect thing carried over from ball golf way back when. "You are better than me so you should go first"... just thoughts.

Interesting discussion. I like teeing first because it means I'm doing good. But I will admit that the few times I've been in contention I didn't mind going second on the last few holes especially if they are particularly tricky. I get to see how aggressive to be. It's another factor in the risk / reward decision. Going last however is always mental game killer.

Of all the spots, I most like to tee second. The first thrower gives you an idea of the wind, but if I see too many throws, I try to over-correct and don't throw as loose/freely

Now, I prefer teeing first, for the reason others have stated that it means I'm doing well, if not winning, at least on a hot streak on recent holes.

Moreover, a touch of ADHD on the course means that I'm not well suited to waiting. I'm better off getting a shot out of my system, than thinking too long. But that's a flaw in me.

This. ^

Left handed people are going to throw differently than right handed people. Some people may take high lines where others take low ones. The piece of ground your cardmate's roller/skipper hits may be harder than the one you're aiming for. That intermittent gust of wind that flipped their drive might not be there when you throw.

There are a lot of factors which can turn any information gained by throwing last into noise.

I like throwing first. I want to set the bar. If I have the box for a while it means I'm playing well and I like to keep the flow going. I hate going last because it means I'm not playing well and that's not where I want to be. It is and should be an honor to go first. On very few occasions have I changed my disc selection because of wind after watching others throw. I really try and only focus on the shot at hand so going first is a fresh mental canvas for me.

This. If I'm holding the box for a while, it means I'm playing well and throwing good shots, which in turn makes me feel like I WILL throw a good shot.

Put the pressure on your cardmates, I say. There's very few instances where I wouldn't want to be first on the box.