• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] RDG Fossil Lizards

Thanks for the heads up - grabbed one of the "clear" white evo wizards out of curiosity. I have never like the feel of evos that I handled in stores, specifically because they never quite feel like wizards in the hand. RDG hasn't let me down yet, so I believe you when you say these actually molded up to the normal wizard specs.

I only get the good stuff from the shop.

Believe it or not... Not all Wizards are created equally :p

Also for those of you that prefer the feel of the Judge but the flight of a Wiz these are exactly what you want
Judge thrower here. Got to take my Fossil Fuel Wizards out to the course yesterday and play around with them a bit...

My immediate impressions when they first came in the mail were that A) these FF Wizards are VERY stiff, and B) they definitely feel like a Judge in the hand. Low shoulder and what felt like a more shallow inner rim than your standard Wizard... if you closed your eyes and someone put a Judge in one hand and a FF Wiz in the other, I think most would have a hard time telling which was which. Very comfortable.

After throwing the FF Wizard, I can definitely say that this is an awesome driving putter. Much more glide and a bit faster than I remember standard Wizards flying, likely from the lower shoulder/profile. I could rip on it and it would glide out straight and always finish with a reliable fade (this I do remember being a Wizard-y trait). It took and held hyzer and anny lines beautifully and I felt like I had a lot more control over the flight of the disc compared to my Judges. Putting was also very comfortable. After adjusting for the slightly more aggressive fade to the basket, they were dropping in just as consistently as my Judges.

My biggest quibble with these discs however is how stiff the Fossil Fuel plastic is. As I mentioned earlier, these discs are very stiff, offering very little give in the flightplate and virtually zero give throughout the disc itself. On a feel level, they don't compare with any of my Judges (Classic or Blend) and after a couple of basket hits, there were a couple of big chunks that had chipped away from the nose of the disc. Disappointing.

For now, this is the closest disc to challenge my Judges and I'll definitely be bagging the FF Wizard for consistent driving and upshot duties. If I could get these in a softer blend (SS) with the same mold and flight consistency, I would truly have my perfect putter.

Judge thrower here. Got to take my Fossil Fuel Wizards out to the course yesterday and play around with them a bit...

My immediate impressions when they first came in the mail were that A) these FF Wizards are VERY stiff, and B) they definitely feel like a Judge in the hand. Low shoulder and what felt like a more shallow inner rim than your standard Wizard... if you closed your eyes and someone put a Judge in one hand and a FF Wiz in the other, I think most would have a hard time telling which was which. Very comfortable.

After throwing the FF Wizard, I can definitely say that this is an awesome driving putter. Much more glide and a bit faster than I remember standard Wizards flying, likely from the lower shoulder/profile. I could rip on it and it would glide out straight and always finish with a reliable fade (this I do remember being a Wizard-y trait). It took and held hyzer and anny lines beautifully and I felt like I had a lot more control over the flight of the disc compared to my Judges. Putting was also very comfortable. After adjusting for the slightly more aggressive fade to the basket, they were dropping in just as consistently as my Judges.

My biggest quibble with these discs however is how stiff the Fossil Fuel plastic is. As I mentioned earlier, these discs are very stiff, offering very little give in the flightplate and virtually zero give throughout the disc itself. On a feel level, they don't compare with any of my Judges (Classic or Blend) and after a couple of basket hits, there were a couple of big chunks that had chipped away from the nose of the disc. Disappointing.

For now, this is the closest disc to challenge my Judges and I'll definitely be bagging the FF Wizard for consistent driving and upshot duties. If I could get these in a softer blend (SS) with the same mold and flight consistency, I would truly have my perfect putter.

Did you check out the Fossil Wizards?
They turned out softer than the Fossil Fuels and have a similar shape. Slightly taller but not by much.

Did you check out the Fossil Wizards?
I did not, but I'm a stickler for the height thing. The FF Wizards feel ever so slightly taller than the Judge. Not enough to be an issue, but I think if they were any taller it would be noticeable to me.

Is it the plastic blend being used in the Fossil Fuels that allows them to mold up with a lower profile? I might have to grab a Fossil to check out...

The cosmetic dinging and chipping is a pretty consistent thing with fossil plastic in my experience. Fossil tends to SHOW a lot of cosmetic wear pretty easily, but it actually doesn't break in the way you think it would for how scuffed up it gets. If your a stickler for not having dings in your putters (I am for putting putters) its a knock on the plastic, but I don't mind it at all for my throwers.

I did not, but I'm a stickler for the height thing. The FF Wizards feel ever so slightly taller than the Judge. Not enough to be an issue, but I think if they were any taller it would be noticeable to me.

Is it the plastic blend being used in the Fossil Fuels that allows them to mold up with a lower profile? I might have to grab a Fossil to check out...

My fossil fuels have the same profile as my fossils. But my fossils are from the very small proto batch, not this current large batch that is softer/more flexible

The only ones that I can see a real difference in are my 175 no stamps. The 174, 172, and my money maker 171g no stamp fossils are very close but with more grit.

My max weight Fossil fuels are still very firm. I just wish they were not in the slate color I got mine in. Kinda hard to find on errant shots off the tee. These are also very velvety.

Regardless they are a lot firmer than any modern 12x KC pro aviar, my former putter for choice, and are both great putters and amazing throwers. My 171g fossil is one of the straightest putters I have ever thrown. Like a Judge that you don't have to worry about turning over. The profile on these is perfect for throwing as well as putting. I don't have a lot of experience with other Wizards but these all have been working supremely well for me.

I still want to see what a tar pit Wiz would be all about...

Last edited:
So I threw about 50 putts yesterday in wet conditions with my no stamp, max weight Fossil Wizard from the latest run. I have an Innova DiscCatcher, but the single chain version, so there was actually not a ton of cosmetic damage. I wasn't throwing it against any of my other Wizards (almost all S or SS) but the Fossil seemed a little more OS. I do a weird hyzer spin putt and it took my a few putts to dial it in. That just might be me getting used to Wizards again, though.

The rim and nose had a lot of grip for the nasty conditions I was dealing with. The flight plate was a little slick but like I said, it was wet. Still grippier than the Touches I was very pporly putting with in the rain this weekend, but not by much. I've got quite a few runs of Fossil due to my massive supply of Scales and Serpents and this is really the most unique. The Gateway crew are the masters of inconsistency, and that's not totally a bad thing.

I am loving my FF wizards - both off the tee and for putting. They definitely do show some wear and tear, but that doesn't bother me too much and is expected with a baseline-type plastic. I am absolutely loving the compact profile (I used to throw Judges, too) and the stiff flight plate. Very consistent releases for me so far, and could very well replace my S Wizards as my go-to putting putters.

I am loving my FF wizards - both off the tee and for putting. They definitely do show some wear and tear, but that doesn't bother me too much and is expected with a baseline-type plastic. I am absolutely loving the compact profile (I used to throw Judges, too) and the stiff flight plate. Very consistent releases for me so far, and could very well replace my S Wizards as my go-to putting putters.

Love to hear it.

I feel like these are the "longest" Wizards I've ever thrown out of the box.
They seem just a bit faster, glidier and more "gyroscopic" vs. other Wizards. They also seem to possess a tick more LSS at the finish.

Really these are the ideal cycling Wizard if you are looking for something that can wear in reliably while providing a great feel right when you open the bubble mailer from RDG :thmbup:

First Ace!

Hey guys, been reading these forums for a couple years now, but never posted. I have been putting with wizards on and off the last few years and decided to try some of RDGs molds. I recently ordered a Scale, Serpent, and FF Lizard which came in today. After five years of casual playing and never getting an ace, I got my first one today with the FF Lizard. 314' Ace on an big sweeping anny line. Just thought I would post and say these molds are legit.

Hey guys, been reading these forums for a couple years now, but never posted. I have been putting with wizards on and off the last few years and decided to try some of RDGs molds. I recently ordered a Scale, Serpent, and FF Lizard which came in today. After five years of casual playing and never getting an ace, I got my first one today with the FF Lizard. 314' Ace on an big sweeping anny line. Just thought I would post and say these molds are legit.

Nice! :clap:

Woah!!!! First confirmed RDG Ace I believe :clap:

PM me your address. We will send you something special :)

I have been so close to that first RDG ace it isn't funny. Currently have 4 metal hits with my original Scale. Oh well. A 315' putter shot is a heck of a toss. Congrats.

9hOOtF9.jpg

Latest posts