• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

Did you make any pink or blue fossil?

For consistency purposes, Fossil will only be produced in white.
Dave said he can add colorant but it might alter feel. We might choose to down the line but for now we are going to stick to white as the only production color. Tte recipe for fossil seems to be repeatable (four runs, all the same) & I'm just very nervous to mess with it!

I know you guys are focused on the next mold already, but have you guys put any thought into making the Scale and Serpent in 150 class? I think these could be big hits in Japan, especially the Scale.

For consistency purposes, Fossil will only be produced in white.
Dave said he can add colorant but it might alter feel. We might choose to down the line but for now we are going to stick to white as the only production color. Tte recipe for fossil seems to be repeatable (four runs, all the same) & I'm just very nervous to mess with it!

Makes sense to me.

I'll have to float it back to you man, it is your tester after all lol. Gonna be hard though :p

nah bro its all good buddy i want as many people as possible to test it out and have some fun with it.. you keep slinging that bad boy :clap::clap:

nah bro its all good buddy i want as many people as possible to test it out and have some fun with it.. you keep slinging that bad boy :clap::clap:

I was thinking of turfing it to Tbird before he bags a DX Rhyno lol

I was thinking of turfing it to Tbird before he bags a DX Rhyno lol

cool sounds good bro.. feel free to keep sling it or pass it on for him or someone else to test .. just want people to get a chance with her and see the greatness that is the Scale :D

Very cool. Thanks a bunch Ian!
Hopefully it passes his tests and makes the bag :)

First Run Scales are officially ran and stamping up this evening!

So do you tinker with the mold between the prototype runs and first run or is the first run disc exactly the same but now with your official chosen stamp/special stamp and no "proto" designation on the underside of the disc?

Just curious as I'm going through this process with you. :D

So do you tinker with the mold between the prototype runs and first run or is the first run disc exactly the same but now with your official chosen stamp/special stamp and no "proto" designation on the underside of the disc?

Just curious as I'm going through this process with you. :D

A little bit of both actually. We never tinkered with the mold but we did a lot of experimentation with how we run the discs. Dave has dialed in hold times, injection soeeds, etc. to produce the exact shape that we want. We now have a 100% model for how we want the Scale to look, feel & perform.

Another main thing we tinkered with was plastic recipes. Fossil, while very similar feeling, was adjusted several times to produce a more consistent, reliable shot. The first batch of fossil made a lot of bad parts while the First Run recipe was much more reliable.

Finally, we settled on art ;)

Haven't thrown my Armor Scale yet, but all I have to say is if you like premium plastics, get an Armor Scale! Armor may be the only plastic that I like the feel of as much as Legend....

My old Evo Wizards were my favorite blend of premi until I got a Legend Rival, but Armor is my ideal flex and grip.

Armor feels like Evo plastic from ~'08 had a baby with Legend plastic, and out came a slightly stiff, almost tacky gripped, durability monster. Gold Line Plastic may have contributed some genes as well.

As someone who has thrown the same Evo Wizard for ~3 years, I expect nothing short of bullet proof durability for this Scale.

I will be taking my Rhyno out of the bag now, as it is OOP and hasn't been around my bag long enough to make me miss it. I already know the Scale will fill my needs.

Reptile Style son.

:hfive::thmbup::clap:

The guy I was just playing with had one of these and it felt awesome. I really like it, where can I get one? Hoping white/gray/or black color.? ---edit, after reading I hear only in white, thats fine, a blank white would be awesome

Last edited:
So...
This has turned out to be my favorite driving and approach putter of all time. So reliable. Amazing HSS even when overpowered. Solid and reliable fade in the last 1/3-1/4 of its flight. The fossil plastic already feels like the best of KC plastic (recent at least). So comfortable in the hand, especially for Wizard throwers. It will be a long time before I play another round without a Scale. Im going to need more of these...

Hey Jamie, amazing job man. Amazing.
Any differences between proto and first run fossil?

First day of throwing my Armor Scale. Only got 7 holes in, but threw it warming up for fun as well as often during my short round. I play scarcely now, and rarely a full round so I basically am the worst golfer ever atm. With that being said, I really enjoyed the Scale. It found fans in my friends as well. Plastic blend is awesome. This disc is also money for forehand rollers... This disc has less glide than my Rhyno. It is fairly domey though, so it may not be the best comparison.

Just ordered me a proto and a first run both in fossil!

Excited to mix it up in 2015 and support a cool project.

Armor is great plastic. It's basically just Evo, but its a pretty good blend. As we all know, Gateway's blend are purposefully inconsistent, so it's good to see them put some quality into the RDG stuff.

I've found the Armor Scales have even less glide than Fossil, but other than that they fly the same. The Scale was built for short ace runs. On my local short course (Cumberland Green) I've had a lot of metal hits with it already (including the one on the post-credit sequence of my Serpent review vid)

Another observance: the Scale and the Harp are the first putters I've been able to overhand with any sort of accuracy. I even had troubles OH the Zone. It's a pretty bitching disc, is what Im saying.

Hey Jamie, amazing job man. Amazing.
Any differences between proto and first run fossil?

There was a little variance in stiffness (not a ton) with ssome being very stiff & some being slightly softer than the protos. That said, they're all right in line with what we are wanting Fossil to be.

I appreciate the love on this project guys. The Scale was honestly a dream come true that I thought would quench my thirst but it has only further dug my desire to produce an assortment of molds.

For those who like the Scale, I urge you to try the Serpent as well. It is a much more versatile flyer and I've found the two molds to be a formidable duo. The Serp now handles 75% of my putter drives, while the Scale, albeit extremely effective, only handles hard hyzers, headwinds & forced flex lines.

Anyone on the fence about whether or not the Scale is a disc worth trying out:
Ask yourself...Do I want a flat topped, beaded putter that has zero turn under any condition while finishing with a consistent, aggressive fade? If so, try one 🐊

I just want to help pile on the praise for the Scale...

So, I've had a proto RFF Scale bagged for four rounds and some fieldwork now in varying conditions. This disc is as advertised: very HSS with solid fade at the end. Very little glide. It has a great feel, in my opinion, with a fairly beefy rim. The thumbtrack doesn't really affect anything grip-wise for me.

In fieldwork, I threw it alongside an X-Link medium VP, a Pro Pig, and a Premium Jokeri. It was most similar in flight to the VP, both being fairly OS and loathe to win any distance competitions. Its flight was shorter and more OS than the Pig and Jokeri. It had no problems whatsoever with a headwind.

In the coldest round (30 degrees), the RFF plastic felt perfect, and I was able to rip some beautiful, predictable approach shots, with a couple tee shots for good measure. I had success putting with it today with a bit of wind (20mph) in play.

I'd been experimenting with a DX Rhyno recently, but the Scale, for me, is a better choice (a little bit better feel, and more OS), and it has found a home in my bag for certain drives, approaches, and headwind putts. I highly recommend giving this disc a try. I am also anxious to try the Fossil plastic, and just placed an order for one today.

Congratulations to RDG on creating such a great disc...not just for a first attempt, but just flat out a great disc!

It is a fantastic OS approach putter, I use it for slight headwinds when I don't trust my wizards and for shots where I want it to stick. I have zero complaints.

:) ahh yes, here we are :) :)
____
My Review:::

I recently picked one of these up and played 3 full rounds with it as well as practice putt a good amount. Here is my review::::::::::::::::

Specs:
-Putter
-Slightly OverStable
-Slow
-Thumbtrack (slight, but very comfortable, especially for throwing)

Uses:
I found the Scale useful in a lot of approach shots where I needed to make sure that I didn't run too far past the basket. Shots that were 40-60ft seemed to be a sweet spot, where I can give it some umph* and it will mainly hold perfectly straight then hyzer out and sit. It is a thicker/deeper putter than any of my others so the flight was a bit different. It's a slow putter. I would rate it like this 2/4/0/2 -- Being slow is a GREAT thing, I can throw at the chains and make a run at the basket, once it loses a certain amount of speed though it drops like a brick. It being a deeper putter that has most of its weight on the thick rim it catches the ground pretty well and stayed put.
I typically putt with a Pa3 or Pa1 depending. In comparison to these I would say the Scale is about the stability of the Pa1, but slower and it hovers in the air until it slows then just drops.
I tried putting with it within 30ft and it was holding up pretty well. Given it depends on the Archer and not always the arrow I felt this would be a fine putter for folks that have liked putting a BigBead Aviar, Rhyno, Pig, Rattler, and of course many more.
It's probably a little more OS than a Challenger (just fyi)
For me personally I added it to the bag for now as a stable approach/runner at the chains kind of disc. I love the Pa series by Prodigy, but the scale is a glidey slow stable disc....its just great for upshots and I felt pretty darn good about putting it too.
I do carry a Harp as my OS putter, but the Harp and Scale are SO SO SO different that I won't make a comparison at all

Cons:
Not really any...if you don't think it will be useful to you, don't use it, I would not say this is a new putter that will change what you putt with...because it likely won't.
But its a neat disc that has some positives

Conclusion:
It's a comfortable disc with a nice feature of having a small thumbtrack; Fossil plastic is like KC Pro...its nice , I liked it as a putter plastic; It's a slow stable putter that is very easy to get a clean upshot out of even in the wind. It's unique as it is kinda based on the Wizard by Gateway and Gateway has a hand in this. So more to come

We have reloaded our website with first run Fossil, Tar Pit and Chalk RFF Scales. They're all delicious in their own right. Go Check Them Out!

We also have begun the release of a new series of stamps from my amazing (future) brother in law, TimSwim of timothyswim.com, that features his increasingly popular scratch art. The stamp for the Scale is going by the moniker of the RDG Rex stamp. I hope you all like it :)
These stamps will be used for fundraising for our next mold.

Attachments

• Rex.jpg
    Rex.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts