• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ridiculous Photog @ GBO

Technically... she showed me her new camera she is using which makes ZERO noise during the shoot and takes 24fps photos. Crazy....24fps!

Semantics warning!

There's no such thing as a 24fps photograph. That's called video.

24 photographs per second makes sense though.

Did we forget cameras and crowds and all that are part of being in a broadcasted popularized sport. Part of every major athletes abilities is always effected by the environment around them and how they manage it. For better or worse I think this is just the beginning. If its what your used to it doesn't make a difference anyways. Eagles been playing a few years now, always in front of a camera. It's just normal to him now. I bet he hardly even noticed her, and if he did it wasn't really on his mind at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife is a photographer and has taken these pictures a lot, they turn out so nice. It really isn't that distracting when she is laying down since it doesn't really take up like any field of vision. She also was the photographer at USAGDC last year and took almost every groups photos like this (a few said they weren't comfortable with her there) the general opinion from people was that if it distracts you that much there is something wrong with your mental game since it would be no different than if a rock was in middle of fairway

Good thing she wasn't doing that when Simon turned that forehand into a cut roller out out of bounds. Then again, maybe he wouldn't have thrown it 40 foot into the ground then.

Fwiw... I met Alyssa today and we talked alot. First off...ok...ok...ok...she's frickin awesome, sweet, and smart as a whip! Yah..I told her I was "that guy" and she laughed and she proceeded to tell me she gets the go ahead and from everyone involved to "do her thing" and "get the shot". I STILL think there are better ways to get the shot without lying directly in front of a player, but you can't argue with her determination and professionalism. The PDGA world is lucky to have her involved because she does love the sport and what she can do for it.

Technically... she showed me her new camera she is using which makes ZERO noise during the shoot and takes 24fps photos. Crazy....24fps!

I'm still shocked the PDGA allows photogs to get that close and lay on the ground in front of a tee, so I can't diss her for taking advantage of that. So I do publicly apologize to Alyssa for my negative remarks, I should of directed it to the TD/PDGA! :p lol...

And to those that say pros should be able to handle this kind of stuff..perhaps you're right...again...this was my first time seeing it and it was a surprise..especially in such a high stakes round/event.

We could use a lot more posts like this, around here.

Fwiw... I met Alyssa today and we talked alot. First off...ok...ok...ok...she's frickin awesome, sweet, and smart as a whip! Yah..I told her I was "that guy" and she laughed and she proceeded to tell me she gets the go ahead and from everyone involved to "do her thing" and "get the shot". I STILL think there are better ways to get the shot without lying directly in front of a player, but you can't argue with her determination and professionalism. The PDGA world is lucky to have her involved because she does love the sport and what she can do for it.

I'm still shocked the PDGA allows photogs to get that close and lay on the ground in front of a tee, so I can't diss her for taking advantage of that. So I do publicly apologize to Alyssa for my negative remarks, I should of directed it to the TD/PDGA! :p lol...

And to those that say pros should be able to handle this kind of stuff..perhaps you're right...again...this was my first time seeing it and it was a surprise..especially in such a high stakes round/event.

I'm glad you have made all of these posts and started this thread. I'm not gonna lie, I saw Alyssa lying there and was a little concerned she was too close. But in this case, I deferred to the players: She is around them every weekend (she covers the Pro Tour, too), so they all know her. Additionally, everyone on that card was pretty good about communicating their comfort level. Eagle, for example, asked another photographer (Stu Mullenberg, the GAWD) to move on hole 1, and then asked Alyssa to move on hole 3.

Did it look like she was a bit too close? Yes. It's something I'll be keeping an eye on at other events and will make sure players are OK with. But I also trust Alyssa and her relationships with the players and have no doubt that she cleared it with them, too. Glad you got to meet her, she is fantastic.

That's Alyssa Van Lanen. https://www.instagram.com/alyssavanlanenimages/

She's been at several events. Like Brutus said, she's done that before, and so have other photographers. To be honest, I wouldn't even be able to throw if someone was laying down in front of me off the tee like that. I don't know how the pros get used to all the cameras.

Hats off to the guys that can handle it. I would get weird for sure. To illustrate my terrible mental game I have a local hole where the tee sign is top right corner of the tee pad. It's not within an arms reach for a RHBH throw, but it's right there in my peripheral and after playing it 50X I still can't generate a regular follow through off the T-Pad. It's pathetic. Last time I tried closing my right eye on my run up.

Semantics warning!

There's no such thing as a 24fps photograph. That's called video.

24 photographs per second makes sense though.

Since we're talking semantics... :p ;)

The Sony a9 shoots 24fps bursts. There will be 24 photographs taken over 1 second, saved as separate files, not as one continuous file. One large difference between the modes is that these pictures will be saved at full resolution (24.2MP on the a9) as opposed to 2MP or 4MP (aka 1080p and 4k video respectively).

"Video" is a term that came about with the invention of cassettes. Motion pictures existed before this technology.

She's lucky she wasn't doing that on the hole Simon threw it on not the ground about 40 ft from there on his forehand. She might have lost an ear. It is clearly unsafe and a distraction. Save that crap for the practice field.

Hats off to the guys that can handle it. I would get weird for sure. To illustrate my terrible mental game I have a local hole where the tee sign is top right corner of the tee pad. It's not within an arms reach for a RHBH throw, but it's right there in my peripheral and after playing it 50X I still can't generate a regular follow through off the T-Pad. It's pathetic. Last time I tried closing my right eye on my run up.

We have a couple of those around here. If possible I usually start my walk/run up a couple feet further back.:thmbup:

You might want to double check your numbers.

If it would make the point more clearly, I'll rephrase:

Golf highlights the best of the countless zillions who have tried their hand at golf. Disc golf highlights the best of a handful of players willing to tour for monetary scraps.

The PDGA just needs to force Alyssa to wear a ghillie suit so it looks like a big clump of moss in front of the tee:

iu

Me personally, I'd be way less distracted by someone right under me than by the catch camera guy way down the fairway. Although, if the catch camera guy is Corey I can use his hair for an indication of which way the wind is blowing. :\

Me personally, I'd be way less distracted by someone right under me than by the catch camera guy way down the fairway. Although, if the catch camera guy is Corey I can use his hair for an indication of which way the wind is blowing. :\

It's way easier to throw at someone than to avoid them...so maybe having someone standing in the ideal landing zone is an advantage to cards being filmed?

It's way easier to throw at someone than to avoid them...so maybe having someone standing in the ideal landing zone is an advantage to cards being filmed?

I've never thought about that but the catch cam operators are a bit of a directional aid for gauging landing zones. Maybe the top cards do get a bit of an advantage over the others in that respect? :confused:

Just watched the final round front 9 video and I do see why OP brought this up. It was pushing it for sure. On a couple tees she's only a few feet away. And on most all shots she was always in the frame. Not sure if it was the chicken or the egg, but watching this video after reading this thread, it was very distracting. And she wears bright colors. I remember one of the other tournaments the photographer was in all black or something not as attention getting.

The videographers have always tried to not catch the other camera men on the shot for the most part and allot of times be tucked by an obstacle.

Didn't someone also say that eagle had to tell her to move a couple times. Of course I'm assuming she told them hey if I'm interfereing just let me know, but if your interfereing it's already a distraction?

Like Stuart Mullenberg for instance, I couldn't even pick him out of a lineup if I tried. But I've seen his shots...

I just watched the final round, all 18 holes, of the number 1 card yesterday. I gotta admit that the photog would have been a distraction to me, but maybe the guys who play almost all the major tournaments are used to it. What is even worse would be to have to put up with those galleries that watch ball golf! You've got hecklers yelling crap at the top of their lungs just as some of the golfers go to take their swings and they are really right on top of the play. At least I haven't seen that yet at a disc golf tournament.

Latest posts