• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Royal Line Availability?

What exactly do we expect here? Is it the plastic or the molds?

What exactly do we expect here? Is it the plastic or the molds?

Well, according to the link above, here is what they are claiming will be new about this line:

NexEdge
- The days of sharp flashing are gone. The Royal discs will have a smooth feel on the outer and bottom part of the rim thanks to our NexEdge trimming process.

NexFeel
- Our new mold polish technology in our Royal discs enhances the grip ability of the plastic surface.
- We are adjusting the plastic to achieve the optimal feel and flex of each mold in the Royal line-up.

New Premium Plastic (no official name yet)
We had a list of features we were looking to achieve with this new blend. A considerable amount of tests brought us to this specific plastic blend.

- Good grip that would not fail you no matter the outside circumstances.
- A stiffer plastic in the sense that it flexes back when being bent and stretched.
- Very good durability. This plastic can take a beating!

New Putter Plastic (no official name yet)
We have been researching a new plastic blend for a long while. Here's our check list of what we were looking for.

- Great grip in a sturdy plastic that would be between Zero Medium and Zero Hard in our regular Classic line-up.
- Better durability, with slow and smooth wear and tear.

"NexEdge - The days of sharp flashing are gone. The Royal discs will have a smooth feel on the outer and bottom part of the rim thanks to our NexEdge trimming process."

Hopefully all of the manufacturers start to focus more on this.

"Good grip that would not fail you no matter the outside circumstances."

As I have trouble gripping premium plastic, I will definitely give their new blend a go. I hope that I like it as much as the Elasto they chose to discontinue.

I've been bagging primarily Lat64 and Westside for several years, but availability has really become an issue. They have become somewhat like Innova in that they offer many molds in a variety of plastics, but if you wan't a specific mold in a specific plastic you may wait a long time between runs. I grew tired of waiting for a Fury and Underworld so I purchased a Streamline Drift and Lift in Cosmic Neutron.

Last edited:
"Good grip that would not fail you no matter the outside circumstances."

As I have trouble gripping premium plastic, I will definitely give their new blend a go. I hope that I like it as much as the Elasto they chose to discontinue.

I've been bagging primarily Lat64 and Westside for several years, but availability has really become an issue. They have become somewhat like Innova in that they offer many molds in a variety of plastics, but if you wan't a specific mold in a specific plastic you may wait a long time between runs. I grew tired of waiting for a Fury and Underworld so I purchased a Streamline Drift and Lift in Cosmic Neutron.

I absolutely love the gold/fuzion/tournament plastic from trilogy. Seems like the wear characteristics are quite good and the grip also quite good. The fact that I can't get backups for my stag or hatchet has me sad (and neither are prioritized for a run this year).

I did just get an ESP Buzzz, and that plastic does seem close though. I'm wondering if that's typical of ESP, as this is the first disc in that platic I've had.

If Lat64 are going to give us something that is even grippier, while maintaining the wear resistance of a premium plastic, ooh baby, I'm in. Swedish plastic, baby!

That said, I wonder how hard it's going to be to get a hold of anything in the first run. Not the hype behind it that a Discmania mystery box or PP Cryztal Fierce has, it doesn't seem like. Still, it wouldn't surprise me to see them sell out quickly.

ESP is very nice. When I first started buying Lat64, their goldline plastic was superior. I think that other manufacturers are now producing equally good plastics. It seems to me, that Lat64 and Westside have been more recently focused on overstable molds and more durable plastics. That's fine, but what drew me to them initially were the reliably understable discs they make: Spike, Fuse, Underworld, Saint, Fury, King, etc.

I absolutely love the gold/fuzion/tournament plastic from trilogy. Seems like the wear characteristics are quite good and the grip also quite good. The fact that I can't get backups for my stag or hatchet has me sad (and neither are prioritized for a run this year).

I did just get an ESP Buzzz, and that plastic does seem close though. I'm wondering if that's typical of ESP, as this is the first disc in that platic I've had.

If Lat64 are going to give us something that is even grippier, while maintaining the wear resistance of a premium plastic, ooh baby, I'm in. Swedish plastic, baby!

That said, I wonder how hard it's going to be to get a hold of anything in the first run. Not the hype behind it that a Discmania mystery box or PP Cryztal Fierce has, it doesn't seem like. Still, it wouldn't surprise me to see them sell out quickly.

Would be interesting if the 'new' plastic is ... an old plastic recipe.

Stiffer, more durable TP/Gold/Fuzion? Maybe a la Tournament-X? Nikko had the fortress run in it a while back. No personal experience with it, but my understanding is the __-X plastic means stiffer (I have a handful of Lucid-X discs; they are more stiff).

I just did a pretty extensive search to replace Stags, and landed on Pipelines. The handfeel and wing shape is a bit different but flight is spot on.

DD actually had a batch of VIP Hatchets on their website this weekend. I am holding out for the Sparkle VIP run that is supposed to come this year; since Hatchets are my roller disc, they take a beating. I'd really like to grab a small stack of the sparkle ones since they are supposed to be a tad more durable.

So has Lat64 bought a new type of machine just for the Royal Line? Or will the Royal Line go through some type of "extra process"?

I just did a pretty extensive search to replace Stags, and landed on Pipelines. The handfeel and wing shape is a bit different but flight is spot on.

DD actually had a batch of VIP Hatchets on their website this weekend. I am holding out for the Sparkle VIP run that is supposed to come this year; since Hatchets are my roller disc, they take a beating. I'd really like to grab a small stack of the sparkle ones since they are supposed to be a tad more durable.

I read that thread! As a result, I have a Pipeline "in the pipeline" (actually being delivered today).

I'm a toddler (only really playing for less than 2 years) disc golfer with a fairly noodle arm, so the Stag is my fairly straight disc, with the Hatchet being more of a hyzer-flip disc. Either of those are what I'll throw if I'm looking for my max distance, which is probably just shy of 300. Don't have much call for rollers as their aren't any non-wooded courses around me.

As yet, I just can't get myself to like the top end plastics or I might have picked up some of those VIP Stags as a more stable complement. There are probably a ton of form related reasons why I prefer grippier, less stiff plastic, but I also just don't like how they feel.

That said, the one Opto Air disc I have (Saphire) is currently in the bag and I don't hate it. Don't use it that much either though. I keep thinking that weird the combination of turn and stability (somehow?) will be useful. When I say weird, it's like it doesn't have huge HSS but the stability kicks in at medium speed instead of low speed. You can throw some interesting lines with it.

Wow, that's a lot, all not really on topic.

I read that thread! As a result, I have a Pipeline "in the pipeline" (actually being delivered today).

I'm a toddler (only really playing for less than 2 years) disc golfer with a fairly noodle arm, so the Stag is my fairly straight disc, with the Hatchet being more of a hyzer-flip disc. Either of those are what I'll throw if I'm looking for my max distance, which is probably just shy of 300. Don't have much call for rollers as their aren't any non-wooded courses around me.

As yet, I just can't get myself to like the top end plastics or I might have picked up some of those VIP Stags as a more stable complement. There are probably a ton of form related reasons why I prefer grippier, less stiff plastic, but I also just don't like how they feel.

That said, the one Opto Air disc I have (Saphire) is currently in the bag and I don't hate it. Don't use it that much either though. I keep thinking that weird the combination of turn and stability (somehow?) will be useful. When I say weird, it's like it doesn't have huge HSS but the stability kicks in at medium speed instead of low speed. You can throw some interesting lines with it.

Wow, that's a lot, all not really on topic.

I don't throw much further than you. Close enough to be in the same general ballpark in terms of how we use discs. So I think you'll be pretty happy with that Pipeline coming your way.

I also play mostly wooded courses, but tend to prefer throwing a Stag or Pipeline flat rather than throw a Hatchet with hyzer if I want to get a shot that bends to the right. I can get all those discs to turn pretty similarly if I adjust release angle accordingly, but I like that a mid-stability disc will land flat whereas a Hatchet is more likely to land on edge. In other words, similar flight but more predictable ground play. Hatchets shine in tailwinds and as rollers when I play on ball golf courses (which is somewhat rare, probably only once per month). So yeah, the Stag slot is definitely way more important to how I personally play, but I do still need to grab some more Hatchets to replenish the supply.

Rive and Trust seem like super confusing names to use when you already have River and Truth in the trilogy family.

There have been a couple of different times over the last few years where the discussion has popped up about whether a "professional" line of discs in say like the $25-30 range would be successful. Essentially you'd be minimizing as many variables as possible in order to maximize consistency.

Personally I think coming off of Covid with reduced disc manufacturing and increased demand, now would be as good of a time as any to introduce that higher price point...I think there would be plenty of people who would pay it. Now obviously not everybody would, and maybe not every mold in a company's lineup would need to be ran in that new line, but a main core mold lineup would have no problem selling.

I'll be interested to see what EV7 does the rest of the year. In one of Drew Gibson's videos he implies a handful of new putters out this year by them. Not sure if that's unique molds, or counting one or two new molds in the couple different plastic blends they offer, or even a couple new blends. In reality Gateway could've taken that marketing angle years ago...all of their putter molds are legit depending on what shape you like, and their base plastic blends are the best out there.

I am interested in how the Royal Line is received though...new molds with a new plastic and manufacturing process just seem like a lot of variables. People will obviously be interested in trying out new molds, but if they suck how easy will it be for them to incorporate existing popular molds?

Sounds more like you're taking a cruise than playing disc golf.

I actually really appreciate that for this line they are addressing some four letter words when it comes to manufacturing consistency lately - I'm sure I'm not the only one who would pay a few bucks more for stock plastic if extra care was taken in molding and trimming.