• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules question question

cydisc

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Say a situation came up on the course today and you're not sure if it was ruled correctly. Now you're at home, sitting in front of your computer and you really want to know if you played it right. What do you do?

A. Proceed directly to DGcoursereview.com and post your scenario in the forums?

B. Go to PDGA.com and look it up in the rules section of the website?

C - Whip out my copy of the PDGA rule book. Then put it away and turn on the TV :D

well you could just post your scenario in the pdga rules forum and have an actual official answer you. or post on another forum and hope you dont get a wrong answer.

well you could just post your scenario in the pdga rules forum and have an actual official answer you. or post on another forum and hope you dont get a wrong answer.

You will not get an "official" answer there. All you'll get is some schmuck (maybe Vegan Ray) citing the pertinent rule & chiding you for being too lazy to look it up yourself. No different from posting the scenario here.

The way a lot of the official rules are worded confuse me. I have a PDGA rule book but it is not the easiest to understand. Its almost easier to post it on here and have someone explain the rule to me in english if I have a question.

All of the above, until I get an answer in my favor.

For casual, non-tournament players, nothing wrong with posing questions in a forum. If you haven't spent much time with it, the rulebook---any rulebook---is less than intuitive.

It would be nice, though, if the people posting answers in the forum had read the book. But, hey, you can't set someone straight until you know they're off course.

A good rule of thumb: everything you read on any MB is BS unless backed up by unequivocal hard evidence (in this case, a citation from the PDGA's Official Rules of Disc Golf or Competition Manual for Disc Golf Events).

Rulebook. Never leave the situation unresolved (except in the case of playing provisionals). I always have a current copy of the rules and competition manual in my bag (as a certified official isn't it required?), and I never hesitate to get them out when needed.

Maybe I'm wierd, but I've read the rules many times. Mostly trying to figure out infractions on the course, but also sometimes at home killing time. There is no way I'm claiming to have them memorized, but I'm pretty confident I can find the related sections to any problem that arises. Then it's just a matter of reading a few paragraphs, and the answer usually shows up.

I agree there is some work needed to fine tune our rules situation. Hopefully this next year's re-write will be done in a better manner.

I assumed the original post meant that a situation came up in casual play or practice, not a tournament.

In a tournament, pull out the rulebook and get it right.

Call one of my TD buddies. I carry a book and played for awhile so there isnt much that can fool me

How about a Legit Rules Question...

On my local course we use netting to protect adjacent teeboxes and specific walkways. Golden Gate park is very heavily trafficked so it's a safety issue.

On one drive, my disc hit the net and dropped. Sadly the Pin was 15' ahead. BUT the net captured the disc on the opposite side. Because i hit the net high, it "caught it" and the disc dropped, resting on a folded heap of unused of net on the bottom. (Disc is on top of the netting.) Because the net is not attached at the bottom i could lift it straight up causing the disc to fall to the ground, and then pull the net backwards so the disc is on the good side of the net.

...................................................................||
...................................................................|| <- Net Pole
...................................................................||
...............................................................o~~ <- Disc On extra Netting
...............................................................~~~<- Extra Netting @ bottom of Net
[]teepad..................................................................................................................PIN

On that day, i considered the net "immovable" and threw around it.... but i was wondering if, as per rules, i could have been tricky and moved the net.

The reason i chose to throw around is, is that the disc were resting ON the net, and by moving the obstruction, i would also move the disc. If the disc happened to slide under the net and rest on the ground i would have moved the netting and continued. I decided that "moving a disc in any way", even indirectly, was probably against the rules.

could i have moved the net, and disc to create a better shot?

You can't move anything that has any part of it in front of your lie unless it became a factor during the round. I presume the net was there before the round started.