• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules

STSgoalie

Par Member
Tommorow I am playing in my first tournament, and lets just say I am kinda nervous. My main concern is the rules and how people play certain situations. My first question is when after making a drive, do you mark your shot with a mini and throw from the fairway, or do you just keep the disc played off the tee down, or if using that disc then mark with mini? Also, when putting, you mark the disc by placing the mini in front of the disc, right? Thanks for the help, and any other advice you might know is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I was nervous the first tournament too. What I remember was being at the players meeting and seeing all the people playing and they all seemed to know the ends and out and quite honestly it was a little uncomfortable at first. All you need to remember is this; once you get with your foursome it all goes away. It really becomes just a normal round. You will settle down after the first hole or two. I promise. Just politely introduce yourself to your group and explain that it's your first tournament and that you would welcome any constructive corrections if they see you do something out of line.That way they won't think you are just belligerently breaking rules just because you feel like it. Beyond that, just be courteous. Don't talk while others are throwing, stand behind those who are putting, etc. You will be fine. Good luck and let know how you do!

Like Craig mentioned, once you are in your group of 4, you can get more comfortable. Inform the others that it is your first tourney and they will be more than glad to help any questionable calls. You can also learn a lot just from watching the other players.

Last edited:
Feeling nervous is just part of it. Just to reiterate what craigd and zud00 said, once you meet up with your group and get the first couple of throws out of the way, it will definitely seem more like a normal round than a tourney round. Tournaments are lots of fun. I think it's neat to watch so many different people play, observe the different throwing styles, and see the different types of shots/lines that others throw. I know that I've learned a lot from playing in the few tourneys that I've played in.

If you have a mini, I would suggest using it to mark all your shots, and you are correct, mark at the front of the disc. The only rule that may need to be clarified is the 2 meter rule. Some tourneys play 2 meter rule, some don't. There is usually a players meeting before the round begins, and they typically cover the rules of play in the meeting.

Most important, have fun!!!! I'm sure it will be a very positive experience.

Watch everyone else and you will get a feel how and how not to do certain things. Pay attention at the players meeting and just in school.....ask if you have any questions!!!!

Go out there with nothing but positive thoughts and let it rip.

You'll do just fine, but don't be intimidated.

I hope the tournament went well for you today!
If you get a chance, let us know about your first experience with tourney play.

Well, I had fun, and met some new players. I ended up doing ok, my score kinda went bad during the second round due to very, very heavy winds. I ended up winning the closest to the pin for my division, and there was 35 in my division for both rounds. Not bad for a 16 year old on a long hole I guess. Over all I feel like I did good, and you all were right about it being positive, and my nerves did go away after the second hole. Thanks to everybody who responded.

That is awesome!, and congrats on the CTP. I usually play worse the second round too, not sure why. Wind is such a big factor in disc golf, it can certain elevate the scores very quickly.

Sounds like a very positive experience for you, glad it went well.

That is awesome!, and congrats on the CTP. I usually play worse the second round too, not sure why. Wind is such a big factor in disc golf, it can certain elevate the scores very quickly.

Sounds like a very positive experience for you, glad it went well.

We were practicing for a upcoming tournament today,and the wind was horrible. Especially because several holes play very, very close to water. I am glad I carry a trash disc, because I lost it on #9 in the lake. Here is a map of the course. The wind was blowing 20-30mph today:

BRIDGELANDMAP_SCREEN.jpg

We were practicing for a upcoming tournament today,and the wind was horrible. Especially because several holes play very, very close to water. I am glad I carry a trash disc, because I lost it on #9 in the lake. Here is a map of the course. The wind was blowing 20-30mph today:
yeah, that was the only thing bad that happend, I lost my first run Z crush in the lake, but I made up for it cause at the end I jumped in the lake on number #2 and found some unmarked disc, so I feel like everything went good, and now I cant wait to play the next course challenge tournament

BRIDGELANDMAP_SCREEN.jpg

wicked looking course there!

congrats on doing well in your first tourney.

i've yet to break that seal. (i'd do the a-tier here in st.louis this weekend, but figure i'll learn plenty by spotting on a hole and seeing how others do it. cheaper too)

If you have a mini, I would suggest using it to mark all your shots
There are instances where it can be advantageous to play the disc as it lands instead of marking with a mini. For example if your disc lands very close to a tree, or bunch of bushes, the extra ~10 inches back you get by playing the thrown disc as your marker can make the shot a bit easier vs. being up closer to the obstacles where your throwing motion can be obstructed.

And for the OP you can find the rules online here:
http://www.pdga.com/rules

Oak Meadow

The course map for Oak Meadow looked really cool, I had to check out the course homepage. That course looks both amazing and challenging. Looks like some nice photo's uploaded by EricJ, good pics!

There are instances where it can be advantageous to play the disc as it lands instead of marking with a mini. For example if your disc lands very close to a tree, or bunch of bushes, the extra ~10 inches back you get by playing the thrown disc as your marker can make the shot a bit easier vs. being up closer to the obstacles where your throwing motion can be obstructed.

Very good suggestion, I never thought about it like that, but makes good sense. Thanks!

No problem, I appreciate good pictures, they are so helpful when looking at new courses.