• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Discs Beacon Basket

preracing25

Eagle Member
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to come on here and let you all know about the basket we have just released. I will post the specs below and you can visit the website to see the pictures. http://salient-discs.com/baskets/

Features:

Full Steel Construction

Powder and Clear coated high visibility orange for maximum durability. (Custom Colors Available)

24 zinc plated chains-Set at 3 depths with 12 lighter 3/16″ outer chains, 6 medium depth 5/16″ chains and 6 deep depth 5/16″ chains (lighter outside chains equal easy access and heavier inside chains allow outstanding disc catching ability)

The Basket (lower portion) is made of 10 gauge steel with a unique staggered upper/lower spoke affect which decreases the ability of discs to bounce up and out like other traditional disc golf baskets

Permanent or Portable installation.

PDGA Championship Level Basket

100% American Made with the help of our friends at Flight Pros.

Individual baskets available as well as sets of 9 or 18 baskets

Order from us online for individual baskets or Contact us at info@salient-discs if you are interested in putting the Beacon Basket in a course near you.

Flight Pros is still known as frolfware but will be changing the name of their company to flight pros in February.

Thanks,
Scott Poland

Maybe I'm over thinking this but I feel like putting lighter weight chains on the outside would only allow for more bounce outs off the pole. There's less to slow the disc down quickly to prevent a hard hit against the pole. I like the chain rack, but I think the same heavy gauge of chain all around would be a better design.

It's American made, which is AWESOME. But I assume it also means it'll cost a pretty penny.

Edit: Sweet looking target, btw. Definitely looks top quality, and I like the deep basket with the staggered spokes.

Last edited:
It's American made, which is AWESOME. But I assume it also means it'll cost a pretty penny.

Edit: Sweet looking target, btw. Definitely looks top quality, and I like the deep basket with the staggered spokes.

Website lists cost as $415.

Maybe I'm over thinking this but I feel like putting lighter weight chains on the outside would only allow for more bounce outs off the pole. There's less to slow the disc down quickly to prevent a hard hit against the pole. I like the chain rack, but I think the same heavy gauge of chain all around would be a better design.

it helps to allow the disc get into the chains, then heavier inner chains stop it
this is how i built my own baskets (reg chains-widely spaced on the outside, then heavy chains on the inside) works pretty good

it helps to allow the disc get into the chains, then heavier inner chains stop it
this is how i built my own baskets (reg chains-widely spaced on the outside, then heavy chains on the inside) works pretty good

Mattc has the exactly right. I myself have had discs get tossed back out by heavy outside chains. Then again I should have just performed a better putt. I think we have all had goods and bad with all baskets.

The beacon basket does look great and the plasma cutting in the top band is a nice touch instead of a cheap vinyl decal that would peel off over time. The edges are also rounded on the words as to not damage discs with a sharp point.

Flight Pros or frolfware. One or the other, from the OP.

Thanks. I missed that.

You may want to note in your write up that they're approved. I wouldn't buy a basket unless I knew it was, and not everyone wants to dig through .pdf files on the pdga website.

Thanks. I missed that.

You may want to note in your write up that they're approved. I wouldn't buy a basket unless I knew it was, and not everyone wants to dig through .pdf files on the pdga website.

You are correct stein I should have added that. I can't go back and edit due to the 5 minute rule DGCR has. I will also look at getting this added to the website tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice stein. I appreciate it.

Thanks for considering it.

It saves you guys from a bunch of random web inquiries too.

They do look nice. I'll give you guys that.

i think it looks ballin'. that is a badass basket.

i love the design; was going to say the exact same thing as you, scott - no place for my disc to get sliced.

from the title i thought maybe you guys were designing a basket that came with some sort of audible signal for the blind - i know that conversation has come up a time or two but this rocks as well.

that staggered catch-basin design should keep discs from sliding around and out, methinks.

Last edited:

Please also state what tier tournaments the basket is approved of by the PDGA.

(note: some baskets are only approved for B- and C- or only C-tier.)