• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Secrets about your course.

At hole 17 at Redan Park in Atlanta there is a grove of trees you have to avoid on the right side. Legend has it that if your disc is heading that way you must utter the words "secret squirrel" so that your disc finds safe passage through to the other side for a birdie putt.

Not sure where it originated as it was long before I started playing. I know there used to be a tourney out there called the secret squirrel soiree or something to that extent.

At Schenley Park in Pittsburgh there is a hole 14A that starts behind the pavilion and plays across the volleyball court. The white tee is the front right corner of the playground and the blue tee is located behind the playground and plays through it. It is a sweet hole and works great for getting to 15s blue tee. Obviously unplayable if anyone is at the pavilion though :(

The bench on hole #13 at Sertoma Field in Walhalla SC has Chainsaw cuts from the man that chased a few players off the course a couple of years ago. There are other places on the course that have been abused by the chainsaw man.

Just past the long pin on #12 at Shaver Rec in Seneca SC is a foundation for a home that was destroyed by fire years ago.

sweet never knew about the #12 thing... for sure know about the classic chainsaw incident tho :)

At Circle R Wimberley, the Rolling Meadow course, RM, may or may not be an homage to Rudy Martinez. The Circ Hill course, CH, in addition to being a homophonical play on "circle", may or may not be an homage to Chris Himing.

There's a prostitute out at Gower Park in Greenville SC. She tried pickin' me and BennettUA up yesterday, saw her again today. If you're wondering which lady she is, she's the one with her arm in a sling.

why am i not surprised... :p

I was unaware of this and it will have to be shown to me. :thmbup:

It's to the right as you're walking on the path from 18 back toward the beginning of the course. It has two yellow rocks like the longs on the rest of the course.

Hole 9 at HB Central Park sits at about 415. At about the 300' mark there's a trashcan that can be seen (barely) just to the Left of the tree that is left of the Red Dot. If you make it in that trashcan there's a local rule that you drop a stroke and get to take your tee shot from the road right there. I clanged it last week for the first time in 10 years. I was a little bummed my drive didn't carry further (I can usually get it within 60 feet on this one), but I was even more bummed it didn't go IN:

7038631c.jpg

Actually, if you're man enough/not a witch, you're perfectly within the rules to play a ball that's in the water.

It splashes the water straight at your face, and if the ball is down more than an inch, you're better off just taking the penalty stroke anyhow. But no rule is stopping you! :p

Just ask Jean Van de Velde. :wall:

The "official" map of Whittier Narrows DGC that appears on their club website and facebook, originated here on DGCR, by yours truly :)

I made up my own 9-hole layout at Highbridge. I dubbed it "The Highbridge Sampler" as it incorporates at least one hole of each course (Bear, Granite, Gold, Blueberry, and Woodland) and gives you a decent variety. Flows really well, John thought it was cool, my buddies liked playing it, so there. My secret = good enough for me. :)

Hole 9 at HB Central Park sits at about 415. At about the 300' mark there's a trashcan that can be seen (barely) just to the Left of the tree that is left of the Red Dot. If you make it in that trashcan there's a local rule that you drop a stroke and get to take your tee shot from the road right there. I clanged it last week for the first time in 10 years. I was a little bummed my drive didn't carry further (I can usually get it within 60 feet on this one), but I was even more bummed it didn't go IN:

Then it's time to throw the disc out :wall:

It's to the right as you're walking on the path from 18 back toward the beginning of the course. It has two yellow rocks like the longs on the rest of the course.

There is/was a sign up reminding players not to throw from this tee to the practice basket. I think it said something about yanking the basket if people continue to play this hole. Its easy to go long into the parking lot.